Oh My God!!! Ohtani with greatest game ever! 50/50!!

Big_Maple

Re: Oh My God!!! Ohtani with greatest game ever! 50/50!!

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:13 pm

There is a better chance Soto is the next Prime Minister of Sweden than a Mariner.
Appreciate the sentiment. It was predictable, but understandable. And seemingly irrefutable.

Herr Statsminister Soto.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:32 pm

Whoever signs Soto is looking at a $500-600 mil contract. So the mariners will come in with a significantly richer offer than that? And this is on top of them needing to reduce payroll because of broadcast issues?

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:32 pm
Whoever signs Soto is looking at a $500-600 mil contract. So the mariners will come in with a significantly richer offer than that? And this is on top of them needing to reduce payroll because of broadcast issues?
Yes. You're right. The M's are broke-assed. They have no money to spend and the owners are living in the streets of Seattle in tents.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:51 pm

I didn't say they were broke, i was asking a question. You can make the argument they should sign Soto but you seem to believe they will sign him, a prediction. For me that would be a pretty big shift in the process they seem to embrace.

I don't think they do look at the current situation as a window of opportunity. I think they believe in sustainability.

Stanton
. “…our goal is to be a competitive team, to have a team that that's in a good position to be in the playoffs. If you make it into the playoffs, you got a good chance of winning the World Series
They are not aiming for a WS. The goal is a team that is in position to possibly make the playoffs season to season

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:01 pm

Just heard the Yankees have made the playoffs 20 out of the last 25 years.

Sounds pretty sustainable.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:51 pm
I didn't say they were broke, i was asking a question. You can make the argument they should sign Soto but you seem to believe they will sign him, a prediction. For me that would be a pretty big shift in the process they seem to embrace.
Fair enough. I wrote what I wrote partly as a prediction (I do think this is the year when they go big), partly as a justification (it is easy and lazy to dismiss a statement that isn't well supported) and partly as a hopeful argument of what I would like to see the M's do in the offseason.
Donn Beach wrote:

They are not aiming for a WS. The goal is a team that is in position to possibly make the playoffs season to season
It makes zero sense to me to make your goal the playoffs without wanting to win a World Series. What Olympic athlete says "I am training for the bronze?" You're either in, or you're out. During the rebuild years, making the playoffs was not their goal. Now that it is, why stop at a wild card berth? Unh, unh.
Donn Beach wrote:
I don't think they do look at the current situation as a window of opportunity. I think they believe in sustainability.
FanGraphs gives us a 3.5% chance of making a wild card. One wild card in 20+ years? We're sustainable at something.

It ain't working. Standing pat isn't moving us to c9ontnention and even dumb blind ownership knows it. Time to get serious.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:

Stanton
. “…our goal is to be a competitive team, to have a team that that's in a good position to be in the playoffs. If you make it into the playoffs, you got a good chance of winning the World Series
There are 12 teams that make the playoffs so you have an 8% chance of winning the world series I guess he considerd that good
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:40 pm

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:21 am
D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:23 am
Big_Maple wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:21 am
Ohtani is super human. A generational freak of nature. That the Angels had him AND Trout and didn’t make the offseason is equally as insane.

Look. The second best hitter in baseball is Soto. He’s batting .288 with 40 dingers and a .997 OPS. And, he will be a free agent. All that dude does is hit baseballs.

It is mission fucking critical that the M’s do everything in their power to get him. He’s getable for the right price, and the M’a can and must be in the race. Whatever it takes. Hitting is contagious, and if he and JRod and Arozarena can get hit in the 2-3-4 spots, watch out.

I know this thread is about Ohtani. Kudos to him and the fucking Dodgers. But it has me dreaming about the what-ifs. We need a reason the get excited about the M’s next season, cause this season has be a shit show and a half.
You are a bad JUDGE of the best hitter in baseball.
I mean I think we're splitting hairs here. Their 1 & 1A & I don't know who'd even be close, their that good. We haven't seen this kind of talent in a long time. I'd say even Trout in his prime. These guys marketability is off the charts (especially Ohtani).

Judge has a 1.142 OPS and Soto is at .993. 149 point difference. That is like saying it is splitting hairs to say Raley at .793 is a better hitter than Rojas at .643, a 150 point difference.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:41 pm

Pretty much the same story over the past 3 years, Judge is a beast:
Screenshot_20240920_133826_DuckDuckGo.jpg
What's amazing about Soto is he's still only 25.

If they were ever going to go after a huge long term contract, he's one of the few I'd consider.

The problem is we'd still need a power bat behind Soto imo.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:15 am

What really sucks is that Ohtani was in our pockets when he first posted, and somehow we just didn't show enough interest.

Frankly, I believe that Ichiro is telling the organization to stay away from top Japanese players because they're a "threat" to his legacy in Seattle. I seriously believe that because there is no reason why we shouldn't be landing top Japanese talent at pretty good prices.