Re: Unreal Salary arb numbers

Post by bhofferb » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:05 pm
bpj wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 pm
Pretty embarrassing system. If Haniger hadnt missed half the games i would probably complain.

As it is we just have an incredibly well compensated pinch runner (imo). If that's the role they would use Mallex in, late inning pinch runner, i would be 100% in favor of having him on the team.

James Jones swiping 25 of 26 as a pinch runner late in games on a playoff contender would be like being equipped with an extra weapon.

Knowing any time you were in a tie game or down by a run, Mallex was on the bench to pinch run if anybody got on 1B would be very valuable, imo.

But, seeing Mallex make almost as much as Haniger is still so painful.
That pinch runner stuff can be valuable in the post season where you're going against top pitching all the time. It's also nice in September when you have expanded rosters. I think more teams should be signing track stars with no regard for hitting or fielding capabilities.
Comparing track stars to guys that have been stealing bases since they were 10 years old is like comparing pole vaulters to sky divers. Completely different skill set despite the same core action.
Nothing new under the sun...

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:53 pm
Exactly. Remember when the 49er signed Renaldo Nehemiah. 43 receptions in three seasons and done at age 25. Would be like putting DK in the Olympics as a high hurdler with no training. Crazy.
DK needs to do bobsled like Herschel or the triple jump.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:53 pm
Exactly. Remember when the 49er signed Renaldo Nehemiah. 43 receptions in three seasons and done at age 25. Would be like putting DK in the Olympics as a high hurdler with no training. Crazy.
I recall the Redskins’ signing of Olympian Frank Budd years before that.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:40 pm
D-train wrote:
DanielVogelbach wrote:

That pinch runner stuff can be valuable in the post season where you're going against top pitching all the time. It's also nice in September when you have expanded rosters. I think more teams should be signing track stars with no regard for hitting or fielding capabilities.
Comparing track stars to guys that have been stealing bases since they were 10 years old is like comparing pole vaulters to sky divers. Completely different skill set despite the same core action.
Charlie Finley tried that very thing, he signed track star Herb Washington as a designated runner in, I believe 1974, never had an at bat. It didn't really work, there is more to stealing bases than just speed, a lot of it has to do with being able to read pitchers
Allan Lewis before him, also with the A’s.

https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.as ... AxLnNodG1s

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:
DanielVogelbach wrote:

Charlie Finley tried that very thing, he signed track star Herb Washington as a designated runner in, I believe 1974, never had an at bat. It didn't really work, there is more to stealing bases than just speed, a lot of it has to do with being able to read pitchers
Allan Lewis before him, also with the A’s.

https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.as ... AxLnNodG1s

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
More to it than just speed, but also much less to it than batting / fielding. If there were training systems, they maybe could churn out guys who could automatically get you second base. I really don't know how much faster the runners will be, though. Guys like Rickey Henderson or Vince Coleman may be close to Olympian speed anyway. But, I'm thinking there may be enough extra speed in the Carl Lewis types that it could approach unstoppable for second base, and maybe 3B as well.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:09 am

Washington sucked at stealing bases.

He had 31 stolen bases in 48 attempts. Even dumbass Mallex was 46-55 last season.
dt