Post by D-train » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 am
Hy Feiber wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:48 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 pm
Awesome.
I thought you meant we had signed Taijuan Walker!

Seriously.
I did too. Thinking it may not happen.
I am surprised nobody has signed him. Makes me think he still can't pitch.
dt

D-train

Re: Walker is in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:16 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:49 am
Good for Walker, he was legit. A 72.7 bWAR despite all the injury issues during his career that limited his opportunities. As for playing in Colorado, that doesn't really have much of an effect as WAR is adjusted for your home park, which is why Clayton Kershaw doesn't have a bunch of 10-WAR seasons.

If the HOF has three floors, a basement, and a penthouse, I'd say Walker goes on the first floor and Jeter goes on the second floor. Babe Ruth gets the presidential suite and the outhouse is probably occupied by someone like Rabbit Maranville.
Wouldn't that be a Rabbit Hutch? :)
dt

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:49 am
Good for Walker, he was legit. A 72.7 bWAR despite all the injury issues during his career that limited his opportunities. As for playing in Colorado, that doesn't really have much of an effect as WAR is adjusted for your home park, which is why Clayton Kershaw doesn't have a bunch of 10-WAR seasons.

If the HOF has three floors, a basement, and a penthouse, I'd say Walker goes on the first floor and Jeter goes on the second floor. Babe Ruth gets the presidential suite and the outhouse is probably occupied by someone like Rabbit Maranville.
Bill Simmons once wrote an article proposing a pyramid-shaped hall with different levels as you mentioned. It would make things more interesting, especially for players like Jeter. We all know he belongs in the Hall, but is he a top-floor best-shortstop ever level player, or something less? As for the outhouse, that might be where the PED guys get to spend eternity :shock:

https://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story ... ons/020108

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Maybe this is the guy that didn't vote for Jeter.

Ryan Thibodaux
@NotMrTibbs
·
1h
One note from the BBWAA list of voters (https://bbwaa.com/20-hof-voters/): Seymour Siwoff, the legendary leader of the Elias Sports Bureau who died at age 99 on November 29th, cast a ballot.
dt

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 am
I'd like to personally thank the writer who left Jeter off their ballot.
I'm with you there. Why is should he get all the votes when Griffey didn't? Heck, who thought Nolan Ryan didn't belong in the HOF?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:41 pm

What is crazier is that in the entire history of the HOF the one guy that got in unanimously is a guy that pitched less innings than Edgar played at 3B.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:14 pm

A little off topic, but this uproar over Jeter not being unanimous is irritating me. 4 writers left Junior off. Put there top 10 seasons side by side...blind comparison, and tell me which one should be unanimous!? Jeter deserves to be in, but if Griffey wasn't unanimous than no on should be.

Edgar was part time, but Marino wasn't? Griffey wasn't unanimous but Jeter should be? Good God, if either of those ex-Mariners were Yankees they'd both have been unanimous first ballots! Rockies guys get dinged for Coors field, but Jeter can inside out 75% of his dingers for a pitching wedge over that pathetic RF wall and that's good? He can play SS for the highest payroll in history pretty much every year he plays, and all those rings make him unanimous first ballot? BS.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:23 pm

The unanimous thing is interesting. You can easily argue both that it is crazy for an individual voter not to vote for Jeter but it isn't crazy at all that he wasn't unanimous given all of the great players that also weren't unanimous.

Perhaps a better system would be to rate a player on a scale of 1-10 and for every 100 voters a player would need 750+ (75% of 1000) points to get in.
dt

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:24 pm

As long as the voters have limits on how many players they can vote for, shoo-ins like Jeter and Griffey will run the risk of not being unanimously voted in. If you know Player A will get enough votes to get in, why not use your vote to support someone you think is deserving but in danger of falling off the ballot?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:39 pm

bhofferb wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:24 pm
As long as the voters have limits on how many players they can vote for, shoo-ins like Jeter and Griffey will run the risk of not being unanimously voted in. If you know Player A will get enough votes to get in, why not use your vote to support someone you think is deserving but in danger of falling off the ballot?
Because unless you collude and have many other writers do the same thing it won't matter?

That is an interesting theory. Mine is that baseball writers are a bunch of dumb ass dinosaurs and the system is severely flawed. Wear a Yankee cap and you already have half the votes you need to get in!