Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

D-train

Re: Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:23 pm
OT...Orange Coast College, PC went to College of the Pacific...don't Cali small colleges sound like delightful places to go to school?...girls, beaches, surfing, oranges, all sorts of fun stuff
Yeah, I always think of Pepperdine in Malibu. I also walked through the ASU campus in Tempe in March of 1993 when I was down there for Spring Training. I saw more hot girls on that 15 minute walk than I saw in 3 years at UW! lol
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:12 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:04 pm
a baseball coach and his family were on the helicopter with Kobe, thought the name sounded familiar but i guess not, interesting it being reported out of the PI

https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport ... 1580125024
There was a Joe Altobelli that took over for Earl Weaver as the O's manager in the early 80s. I thought it might be his son but I have seen no mention of that. I also found a John Altobelli that played a handful of games in 1985 for an A ball team and it would be the right era for it to be him but not enough info to confirm.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... tobe001joh
Looks like they updated that page with a date of death so must have been him, very sad

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Linda and I hiked about two to three miles away from the crash site when we were down there in mid December
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:21 pm

J.J. Altobelli, surviving son of the deceased Orange Coast coach, was a teammate of Ryon Healy at the University of Oregon. Altobelli and Healy went a combined 5-for-5 with three walks against Stanford in this 2013 game I attended in Eugene:

https://goducks.com/sports/baseball/sta ... score/5212
Last edited by harmony on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:52 pm

Yesterday morning I drove out to Palm Springs from where I live near LA, and when I started to gain some altitude I hit really dense fog. It was like that all over down here in SoCal and I can't imagine trying to fly through that. More details have come out and it looks like the pilot really messed up.

As for Bryant, he's a top-five all-timer, but I never thought much of him as a person. About 15 or so years ago, he did what he did, cheated on his wife (probably a lot), may very well have raped that young woman in Colorado. bought her off and essentially bought his wife off as well with the infamous four million dollar ring, and snitched about Shaq cheating on his wife too. Not too long after that he basically forced Shaq out of LA. I don't know if he became much of a better person after that, but considering that he never really had to pay for what he did, I doubt it beyond him probably smartening up and at the very least becoming a better family man.

Even with that, it's embarrassing that so many people down here are practically bawling about Bryant and not particularly caring about the others. Why would you do that about someone you don't even know and who at the very least is of highly questionable character? Magic or Kareem I could see it, but not Bryant.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:34 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:52 pm
Yesterday morning I drove out to Palm Springs from where I live near LA, and when I started to gain some altitude I hit really dense fog. It was like that all over down here in SoCal and I can't imagine trying to fly through that. More details have come out and it looks like the pilot really messed up.

As for Bryant, he's a top-five all-timer, but I never thought much of him as a person. About 15 or so years ago, he did what he did, cheated on his wife (probably a lot), may very well have raped that young woman in Colorado. bought her off and essentially bought his wife off as well with the infamous four million dollar ring, and snitched about Shaq cheating on his wife too. Not too long after that he basically forced Shaq out of LA. I don't know if he became much of a better person after that, but considering that he never really had to pay for what he did, I doubt it beyond him probably smartening up and at the very least becoming a better family man.

Even with that, it's embarrassing that so many people down here are practically bawling about Bryant and not particularly caring about the others. Why would you do that about someone you don't even know and who at the very least is of highly questionable character? Magic or Kareem I could see it, but not Bryant.
Interesting perspective. Yeah I have seen some equate it to Princess Diana and I'm like..........what?
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 pm

Super sad. He was such a dominant player. Can't believe his life was cut short and his daughter also. Surreal how big of a star he was, and surreal how he died. I'm gonna be sad every time I see a pic of him and his daughter. I never thought that the Kobe Bryant story would be a tragedy.

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:22 am

Kobe was one of the last NBA players I ever laid eyes on when I decided to turn the NBA off in disgust after seeing the corrupt NBA officials provide superstars like him with a "special set of rules". I decided this was the very last time I'd waste my time watching such blatant favoritism / idoltery engineering.
I wonder how many women over the years went to bed praying that he would die a slow and miserable death...?
It looks like they did not get their wish[es] since he died almost instantaneously.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:52 pm

Hard to say, it sure sounds like becoming a father really changed him. He was at a local basketball game here not too long ago with his daughter. The people he was in contact with, the reason he was here, are sure shook up. They really liked him.

Changing doesn't mean what he did wasn't wrong, but I have heard only good things.