In memoriam: Mariners vs Rangers game thread

bpj

Re: In memorium: Mariners vs Rangers game thread

Post by bpj » Tue May 28, 2019 12:06 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:02 am
Why OPS isn't fair to guys who can steal bags. In my humble opinion...

Mallex has effectively 2 lead off doubles.

Edit: now triple.

Double edit: now homerun LOL
OPS is fair to everyone because it only measures what you do from the plate. Mallex can't drive runs in with stealing a bag, so a 1B+SB does NOT equal a 2B.

In general, OPS is for sluggers, OBP for table setters. But theres no reason to ignore Mallexs OPS, especially when comparing to a capable replacement who CAN slug, say, Haniger.

You can drive runs in with a double. Not with a walk and SB.

That's why OPS > OBP. There is no substitute for the extra base hit because it's most valuable use isn't getting in to scoring position where the guy behind you will fail 65% of the time anyways, it's most valuable feature is clearing the bases of guys who were stuck there before you came to bat.

OBP relies on the guys behind you to be good. OPS means you can put runs on the board on your own.

Both matter, but if there's ever a choice, the higher OPS will put more runs on the board for your team.

OBP is cute but it will never hold OPS's jockstrap.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue May 28, 2019 12:25 pm

You know what would be valuable?

Having that Mallex Smith speed available as a pinch runner in the 8th or 9th inning when we're down by a run or tied all season long.

That is Mallex Smith's biggest and best use.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue May 28, 2019 12:38 pm

I once said I would have kept James Jones as the 25th man. It accomplishes 2 things.

1) late inning stolen base threat
2) keeps your manager from playing the 25th man, who rarely deserves to be in a game ahead of a starter anyways.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 28, 2019 3:07 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:00 am
D-train wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:25 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:21 am
I see you guys were talking about RG on yesterday's game thread. You forgot to mention who did the sleuth work.
Did you as well? I did it myself.
Yeah, we suspected it years ago and I'd always ask him subtle questions to trip him up, I think it was a three-year process and then he indeed clinched it last year when he called himself a "minority catcher". For his alleged time frame, position, and team Baseball Reference said NOPE.

Why the hell did he even do that? Those stories about having beers with Pete Rose, etc. I don't know who else was onto him but Darren and I would roll our eyes at his stories. I wasn't going to say anything because he seemed like a nice enough guy but I guess Darren finally nuked his bubble LOL.
The thing that really got me was when he said it was dumb to change your approach at the plate when you have two strikes and his opinion that pitching framing was pointless and of course the time he said he hit a walk off HR on the road. :lol:
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue May 28, 2019 3:35 pm

He must have been involved with MLB in some capacity. He was just too consistent in the way he wrote his posts for it to be totally made up. Unless he is a delusional psychopath and actually believes all his stories.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 28, 2019 4:15 pm

he had no empathy for ballplayers, that is what struck me, particularly if you are viewing things from the perspective of a backup catcher..

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 pm

What happened to “It’s easy to be nice and nice to be easy”?

We’re all impersonators to some degree or other, that’s why we hide behind aliases.

Forgive him and invite him over again. Life is too short.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 28, 2019 4:39 pm

Happy as hell wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 pm

We’re all impersonators to some degree or other, that’s why we hide behind aliases.

I was totally fine with his impersonation which we all put up with for years. It was the racist accusation that did it for me.
dt

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Tue May 28, 2019 4:42 pm

And he was invited and declined.

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:39 pm
Happy as hell wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 pm

I was totally fine with his impersonation which we all put up with for years. It was the racist accusation that did it for me.
Things get a little heated on those political threads. That’s why I don’t like ‘em.