Looks like we could have May baseball

Donn Beach

Re: Looks like we could have May baseball

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:23 pm

I think the Yanks and Angels would benefit from having seven inning games, and if you are going to do that seems you might as well get rid of extra innings while you are at it. Heck, maybe just make it permanent, games are too long anyway

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:23 pm
I think the Yanks and Angels would benefit from having seven inning games, and if you are going to do that seems you might as well get rid of extra innings while you are at it. Heck, maybe just make it permanent, games are too long anyway
And then make pitching changes unlimited so they can recoup the lost commercial breaks. lol
dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:50 am
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:14 pm
I would really like to see the electronic strike system put in place...perfect time to try
From the rumors I've heard:

1. Electronic Umpires
2. No mound visits(including catchers) not sure how they plan to do that without translators.
3. Double-header will be shortened to 7 innings each.
4. Players will maintain a 6 foot radius. This means sitting in the stands, not in the dugouts.

If there was ever a time explore rules, this would be the year.
If every player is getting tested before they start, like I've heard, why do all this physical distancing? I'm all for robot balls and strikes, but the rest just seems like theatrics.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:45 pm

I don't know....... I mean what would it be like if the typical emotional reactions happen and you go to high -five and everyone scatters... The final play and no cheers. It would be pretty funny to do like a zoom meeting with 2-way video & audio.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 am

I work in the ER. Just because everyone is cleared to play and deemed healthy does not give you the authority or ok to not practice Social Distancing.

There is no known current vaccination. There have been cases where patients have become infected by unknown means. If this were to happen in a clubhouse, it could be detrimental to the organization.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:26 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:23 pm
I don't think there are enough asterisks in the 50 states to cover all of this in the history books. Perhaps some of the federal stockpile of asterisks could be released.
DMM

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 am
I work in the ER. Just because everyone is cleared to play and deemed healthy does not give you the authority or ok to not practice Social Distancing.

There is no known current vaccination. There have been cases where patients have become infected by unknown means. If this were to happen in a clubhouse, it could be detrimental to the organization.
But what if everyone in the isolated group of players/umps/media tests negative? They're talking about totally separating MLB personnel from the general community. If someone actually catches it in this environment it might actually be useful to know, rather than relying on internet rumors about people catching it "by unknown means."

In any case, this sounds like torturing the players and everyone involved. No families or local groupies... getting shuttled from the park to the hotel and back, over and over. Sitting in the stands away from other players...

The broadcasts would be an interesting oddity though.
I wonder if they add fake crowd noise to block out profanity? Do they still do amusing trivia and boat races on the jumbo tron? Are broadcast teams working remotely?
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:19 am

Millikin wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 am

But what if everyone in the isolated group of players/umps/media tests negative? They're talking about totally separating MLB personnel from the general community. If someone actually catches it in this environment it might actually be useful to know, rather than relying on internet rumors about people catching it "by unknown means."

In any case, this sounds like torturing the players and everyone involved. No families or local groupies... getting shuttled from the park to the hotel and back, over and over. Sitting in the stands away from other players...

The broadcasts would be an interesting oddity though.
I wonder if they add fake crowd noise to block out profanity? Do they still do amusing trivia and boat races on the jumbo tron? Are broadcast teams working remotely?
At this point there are so many unknown factors and variables that I'm just as curious as to what they are planning as you are, and whether or not it'll even get approved for that matter.

This has been such a weird year. Figures that this is the one where I begin to do my most serious scouting and this winds up happening. I've never seen anything like this. Unreal.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:05 am

What they're planning is obvious isn't it?

In less than three weeks they will have hot zones only still under stay-home guidelines. New York may still have travel restrictions.

The country is opening back up. Soon. Trump said today his Easter timeline was ambitious, but we will be at the point on the curve next week where it will be obvious this is over.

How many prime athletes have died of covid?

ZERO?

This ridiculousness will be over soon. Most people will be back to work by May with minor restrictions still in place.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 am

This ridiculousness is in my face daily and people are hurting, dying, and very sick! 9 of my colleagues have contracted it protecting people like you. You'd be best to tread carefully.