Forum members introduce yourselves

bhofferb

Re: Forum members introduce yourselves

Post by bhofferb » Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm Bob, and I've been a Mariner's fan for a long time. For some reason my dad was a hardcore American League fan, so when I started following baseball I was the same. Grew up on Game of the Week, watching Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek every Saturday morning. I believe that there is nothing quite like coming out of the tunnel at a nice stadium and seeing all the green of the field, and I will never forgive Portland for ruining a perfectly good minor league stadium for a freaking soccer team. don't understand or care much about advanced sabermetric stuff since I don't want to take a calculator to the ballpark with me.
As for the rest of life, I was born in Seattle, but have lived in SW Washington since age 3. I've worked with teenagers my whole life (group homes, foster parent and for the last couple decades in a HS behavior program) so I'm either really committed or really should be committed :D In my spare time, I keep my blood pressure up by watching Mariner broadcasts. Finally, like all of us, hope to see the M's in the World Series before I die.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm Bob, and I've been a Mariner's fan for a long time. For some reason my dad was a hardcore American League fan, so when I started following baseball I was the same. Grew up on Game of the Week, watching Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek every Saturday morning. I believe that there is nothing quite like coming out of the tunnel at a nice stadium and seeing all the green of the field, and I will never forgive Portland for ruining a perfectly good minor league stadium for a freaking soccer team. While I understand some of it, I don't care much for advanced sabermetric stuff since I don't want to take a calculator to the ballpark with me.
As for the rest of life, I was born in Seattle, but have lived in SW Washington since age 3. I've worked with teenagers my whole life (group homes, foster parent and for the last couple decades in a HS behavior program) so I'm either really committed or really should be committed :D In my spare time, I keep my blood pressure up by watching Mariner broadcasts. Finally, like all of us, hope to see the M's in the World Series before I die.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm

My name is Michael (Duh), and I grew up in a small Eastern Washington town, so athletics were a big part of my life. There is nothing like playing sports in a small town, when we went to District and State tournaments the entire town would follow! My HS was always one of the best in the State in Basketball, so of course football and baseball were my best sports!

My dreams of college washed up along with my shoulder, but I played slowpitch softball from 18 to 44, when two knee surgeries and a traumatic foot injury sidelined me, for good. Along the way I played in Tourneys in California, Texas and Florida, and loved every minute of it. Was great to be a part of a team and to still be able to compete, at a somewhat High Level. David Gee will understand, but we even played some C Ball, so I saw some amazing stuff. Played against Ryan Doumit, Chris Chandler, Matt Barnes and Lawyer Milloy. It is very impressive to watch a guy that is a professional athlete play a sport. Doumit was a Professional Catcher and 1st Baseman, and was one of the best softball SS I ever saw! Milloy? Basically covered the entire OF, and his only out when he played us was a Homerun when they no longer had Homeruns left. Yep, a strange softball rule! The dreaded DBO, dead ball out.

About 6 or 7 years ago I started coaching fastpitch softball at the HS here. I did it as a favor to a friend, but don't see how I can ever quit now, I just love it. It has changed the way I view baseball though, as I would now rather watch the Husky woman play softball than the Mariners! This coaching makes the Spring very eventful, fortunately I can work mostly from home (I manage the Life Insurance department at a local agency), because between my real job, my true love of coaching and following my son and his baseball team all over the State? Well, the days fly by. (I guess if that was true I wouldn't be typing this right now, but you get what I mean. Plus, I am on hold!)

As mentioned my son plays travel baseball. It has put a halt to my travel softball coaching, but it is so much fun. Proud dad moment, in his first travel ball game as a 9 year old he hit for the cycle with a walk off HR, and last year in the State Semi Finals as an 11 year old he threw a 2 hitter! He is also a damn good football player, and was a Pop Warner All American and his team MVP at QB last year. He even somehow manages to get great grades. My oldest son is a Freshman in HS, and was also a damn fine football player. His team hasn't lost a game since going 7 and 1 as 5th graders, but despite the success and the bright future, he has decided that he doesn't enjoy it. Unlike his father, sports are not his greatest love, and somehow this kid is a welder and auto mechanic! Me? Not so much!

I met my now wife as a Freshman in college here at Wenatchee Valley, and have long joked that if not for a shoulder injury my life would be much different, and not for the better. That being said, my wife also attended Central Washington, which was one of the schools I was hoping to play for, so maybe we just would have met a couple years later? We will have been married for 18 years this June....I met her almost ten years prior to that....so something tells me it would have happened anyway!

My contributions to this forum will more than likely be much like the Times. Mostly Seahawk and Husky, and usually in spurts! I am either real busy or very bored, so when I post it can go fast and furious for awhile and then I may go dormant!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Wow, that is really long. My apologies!

number11

Post by number11 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm Dan, 45 year old Seattle native, software engineer, still living on N. Beacon Hill. Been following the M's since The Kid came on the scene in '89. Been lurking on SeaTimes board for years, only posted once or twice & then found it too troublesome to get logged on. Hopefully participate more here.

I also played ball in the PSSBL for several years, until my son was born & took up all my time :)

My most embarrassing Mariners moment: I was excited for the Bedard trade when it went down.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm
Wow, that is really long. My apologies!
:D Very unlike you to be verbose! ;)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm

number11 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:55 pm
I'm Dan, 45 year old Seattle native, software engineer, still living on N. Beacon Hill. Been following the M's since The Kid came on the scene in '89. Been lurking on SeaTimes board for years, only posted once or twice & then found it too troublesome to get logged on. Hopefully participate more here.

I also played ball in the PSSBL for several years, until my son was born & took up all my time :)

My most embarrassing Mariners moment: I was excited for the Bedard trade when it went down.
Welcome Dan!
dt

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm

number11 wrote:

I was excited for that trade, too. A chance to give up that loser Adam Jones and pick up a pitcher who couldn't reach the 5th inning without achieving a pitch count over 100.
DMM

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Thu May 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm
number11 wrote:

I was excited for that trade, too. A chance to give up that loser Adam Jones and pick up a pitcher who couldn't reach the 5th inning without achieving a pitch count over 100.
Also guilty. In 2006 & '07 he threw 196 & 182 inninings for Baltimore. Came here at age 29 and I thought the M's just might have an 18 to 20 game winner blossoming.
Instead he became a 15 game per season and 5.5 inning max per game weiner.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

franson247

Post by franson247 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello all,
My name is Michael, and I grew up on Vashon Island (living through the 1980s Mariners). I have lived in a few different cities/areas in Western Washington (Bellingham, Northgate, International District, and Olympia). I worked for the Mariners in the Team Store for a few years (01-04) and UW (in the PA Training Program) for 15-years, but am now a transplant in Yakima, working at Pacific Northwest University. It is harder for me to go to games living on the East Side, but I catch as many games on Root as I can!!!

I am glad to be a part of this forum, as the Spam in the Times forum was too much for me... Thank you for putting this one together!

I look forward to the discussions.
I hope all are well!