Potential landing spots for the sell-off.

Hanjag

Potential landing spots for the sell-off.

Post by Hanjag » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:16 am

EE has an .852 OPS and is owed like pro-rate salary of 21.7 19' and 20 for 20 or add 5M for the buyout making it a 1 year injury replace or placeholder.
Milwaukee has a 1B with a 60 something OPS+

Milwaukee might be a good landing spot for either Dee or Tim Beckham their 3B Travis Shaw has a 44 OPS+. The Pilots have Mike Moustakis listed as 2B so could slide him back to 3B and put Dee there or add more offense with the hitting of Beckham.

SD could look at Beckham or Gordon They have a CF with a 58 OPS+, 2B Ian Kinsler with a 66 OPS+. Hell SD has that deep farm maybe we go Dee or Beckham + Haniger for CF and pick 3 or 4 from their top 10 but not their #1 or #2.

It might be hard to generate value from guys like Healy , and Leake. 2 different reasons. Healy 1B, 3B, DH the bat is merely ok, he does not add runs with defense or bases but he is available and cheap. The price would be how much over a cheap replacement level player+/- marginal for those positions.

Leake: on the other hand is a innings eater he has a peak of 2.9 WAR but always seems to be around 2 +/-. The ERA+ always seems to be 90 to 110 little exceptions. He is worth something especially to a contender that lost someone and doesn't have not just a 2 WAR player but we have all seen pitcher/players generate minus 1.2 WAR and really drag down team wins. Leake would be a welcome addition to a team that had 4 good to great starters and 1 hole. I have watched for years when you get runners on and you have the pitcher spot coming up or B. Ryan on deck and you get pitched around to get to an eazy out. Finding a team in need : P. Pirates Jameson Taillon 60 day DL ( The replacement starters ERA+ (53,53,61, 73, 34)combined 10 starts. The trouble is many teams are in sell mode.

Anyhow not much excitement for GT as we have been at a steady 20% win rate for a prolonged period. I don't see any top 20 style prospect coming back with out something shocking like Marco, Kikuchi, Haniger Narvaez, etc type. But, What the M's do have is worth something to someone. I see that clubs discount lower level high upside prospects for mlb ready prospects. If I am Dipoto I am probably looking at those types with the only possible exception of a 1B near MLB ready type.

Dr Naysay

Re: Potential landing spots for the sell-off.

Post by Dr Naysay » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:42 am

I get the feeling Healy is the kind of guy that would benefit from a scenery change.

Petert

Post by Petert » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:04 pm

With Jerry leaning on the ‘abandon ship’ button by the end of May, and the Royals ostensibly doing the same (probably to be followed by Baltimore and SF), it will be interesting to see whose intentional nosedive is more productive, not only from trade proceeds, but competitive positioning for the 2020 draft.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... aft-class/

https://www.fishstripes.com/platform/am ... highlights

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Petert wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:04 pm
With Jerry leaning on the ‘abandon ship’ button by the end of May, and the Royals ostensibly doing the same (probably to be followed by Baltimore and SF), it will be interesting to see whose intentional nosedive is more productive, not only from trade proceeds, but competitive positioning for the 2020 draft.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... aft-class/

https://www.fishstripes.com/platform/am ... highlights
The Royals have a rather large head start. I’m sure SS will give them a run

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:52 am

2020 draft?...we are supposed to be headed to the WS in 2020
“We believe that we have gotten younger, we’ve gotten more sustainable,” Dipoto said, “and while we wouldn’t anticipate that we are a threat to win the World Series in 2019 we do feel like we are better situated to do this come 2020, 2021.”

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 am

What did you read about that that changes the timeline? That's exactly what he's saying. Judas priest, you're like a sore thumb in a bandaid store.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am

Peter's point seemed to be Dipoto is aiming for the number one pick in the 2020 draft, Dipoto has said he thinks the team will be competitive again in 2020, curious which its going to be, what is it you do not understand?

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:09 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am
Peter's point seemed to be Dipoto is aiming for the number one pick in the 2020 draft, Dipoto has said he thinks the team will be competitive again in 2020, curious which its going to be, what is it you do not understand?
Why can't it be both? The guys on the team currently are clearly not going to carry us out of the cellar, innit?

So, top pick and then fill the rather important (obviously) gaps through trade and free agency this deadline and this offseason, potentially even trade deadline next year to fill any remaining gaps. No reason this has to be a long drawn out rebuild with what is already in place.

I have never been one to think a rebuild of the MLB roster needs to take more than 2-3 years given available resources which we should have available now and going forward. With 4 top 100 picks in this draft I think our minors will be ready to rock too.

I'm optimistic. Let's see what Leake, Encarnacion, and Gordon bring back, if anything, see what $'s are available going forward and divide that by important roster spots.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 am

well maybe its a question of coordinating the dates, and I am too slow and lazy to figure it out...but to be tanking for the number one pick in 2020 and also be threat to win the WS in 2020 seemed confusing to me

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:18 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 am
well maybe its a question of coordinating the dates, and I am too slow and lazy to figure it out...but to be tanking for the number one pick in 2020 and also be threat to win the WS in 2020 seemed confusing to me
Tank this season, win it all next season. Easy peasy.
dt