Forum members introduce yourselves

D-train

Re: Forum members introduce yourselves

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 6:59 pm

franson247 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm
Hello all,
My name is Michael, and I grew up on Vashon Island (living through the 1980s Mariners). I have lived in a few different cities/areas in Western Washington (Bellingham, Northgate, International District, and Olympia). I worked for the Mariners in the Team Store for a few years (01-04) and UW (in the PA Training Program) for 15-years, but am now a transplant in Yakima, working at Pacific Northwest University. It is harder for me to go to games living on the East Side, but I catch as many games on Root as I can!!!

I am glad to be a part of this forum, as the Spam in the Times forum was too much for me... Thank you for putting this one together!

I look forward to the discussions.
I hope all are well!
Welcome Michael! Just curious, did you ever post in the Times forum?
dt

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Hello Forum Members,

My name is Robert. Grew up in Ferndale, WA - home of QB Jake Locker, QB and Super Bowl winning Head Coach Doug Pederson (I played football for his dad, Gordon), and punter Michael Koenen. I attended Mariners and Seahawks games in the Kingdome, Sonics games at the old Seattle Center Coliseum, and was a student at UW in 1981-1982 and attended the game when Rob Weller invented 'the Wave' (Oct 31, 1981...homecoming game against John Elway and Stanford).

Finished college in Arizona, moved to Denver in 1986 and have lived here ever since. Met John Elway 2 different times at an old bar called Panama Reds and talked college football with him extensively both times. Was a fun time here in Denver during the Brian Bosworth/John Elway rivalries. I actually ended up losing a bet when the Broncos beat D. Krieg/Largent, and had to paint half the outside of a lady's home here in Denver. I believe that was the game Largent got laid out by Mike Harden on a pretty dirty hit.

Attended the January 1, 1992 Rose Bowl and UW's National Championship. That was a really fun day.

The Denver/Seattle Super Bowl was one of the greatest days of my life, especially having to endure the harassment of the Broncos fans over so many years. I kept telling them all that defense beats offense in Super Bowls, but they were so cocky and confident. Was fun to shut them up finally.

Here's hoping the Mariners can do something in my lifetime, the Seahawks can return to greatness, the Huskies can win another National Championship, and that the Sonics can return someday. I sure do miss the days of Bob Blackburn, the voice of Pete Gross, and the HR calls of Dave Niehaus.

Attachments
Robert_West.jpg
Robert_West.jpg (6.8 KiB) Viewed 2253 times

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Thu May 02, 2019 8:15 pm

XpertDBA wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 pm
Hello Forum Members,

My name is Robert. Grew up in Ferndale, WA - home of QB Jake Locker, QB and Super Bowl winning Head Coach Doug Pederson (I played football for his dad, Gordon), and punter Michael Koenen. I attended Mariners and Seahawks games in the Kingdome, Sonics games at the old Seattle Center Coliseum, and was a student at UW in 1981-1982 and attended the game when Rob Weller invented 'the Wave' (Oct 31, 1981...homecoming game against John Elway and Stanford).

Here's hoping the Mariners can do something in my lifetime, the Seahawks can return to greatness, the Huskies can win another National Championship, and that the Sonics can return someday. I sure do miss the days of Bob Blackburn, the voice of Pete Gross, and the HR calls of Dave Niehaus.
Welcome, XpertRobert. Great to see you cross "deademy" lines. I've always enjoyed your posts. This new forum is a dream come true. You have a great history and a great story.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 02, 2019 8:31 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm
Wow, that is really long. My apologies!
:D Very unlike you to be verbose! ;)
Haha, touche!

franson247

Post by franson247 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:35 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:59 pm
franson247 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm
Hello all,
My name is Michael, and I grew up on Vashon Island (living through the 1980s Mariners). I have lived in a few different cities/areas in Western Washington (Bellingham, Northgate, International District, and Olympia). I worked for the Mariners in the Team Store for a few years (01-04) and UW (in the PA Training Program) for 15-years, but am now a transplant in Yakima, working at Pacific Northwest University. It is harder for me to go to games living on the East Side, but I catch as many games on Root as I can!!!

I am glad to be a part of this forum, as the Spam in the Times forum was too much for me... Thank you for putting this one together!

I look forward to the discussions.
I hope all are well!
Welcome Michael! Just curious, did you ever post in the Times forum?
Hi DT, I did a couple of times, but was more of a fly on the wall in that forum. It is my goal to post more and be more active on this one! Looking forward to it all =)

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Fantastic! I look forward to your posts!
dt

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Thu May 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi-

Ron here. I have gone 100 days without a drink, just not all in a row.

Grew up listening to Vin Scully and watching Dodger baseball. I sucked in Little League (and the coach was there for his son more than anyone else) but became a pretty good softball player eventually. Played some good pickup games in Bellingham around the time of the M's beginnings, and even went to the opener in 77.
Lived all over at times, San Diego, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, L.A., Albuquerque, Munich, Woodinville, and now ensconced in the small towny suburb of Port Coquitlam (Vancouver Metro area)
For a month or so, I couldn't even log into the Times forum. My browser would show the progress bar flashing across, and things would blink and then repeat. No connection though. Tried several browsers, and had same problem. Also same issue on the phone. I was wondering if anyone else saw that kind of thing.

Hey! If you want something done right, do it yourself. :mrgreen: <- how come the smilies all look like aliens?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 9:21 pm

XpertDBA wrote:
Hello Forum Members,

Finished college in Arizona, moved to Denver in 1986 and have lived here ever since. Met John Elway 2 different times at an old bar called Panama Reds and talked college football with him extensively both times. Was a fun time here in Denver during the Brian Bosworth/John Elway rivalries. I actually ended up losing a bet when the Broncos beat D. Krieg/Largent, and had to paint half the outside of a lady's home here in Denver. I believe that was the game Largent got laid out by Mike Harden on a pretty dirty hit.

Attended the January 1, 1992 Rose Bowl and UW's National Championship. That was a really fun day.

The Denver/Seattle Super Bowl was one of the greatest days of my life, especially having to endure the harassment of the Broncos fans over so many years. I kept telling them all that defense beats offense in Super Bowls, but they were so cocky and confident. Was fun to shut them up finally.

I was at that Rose Bowl as well. I was living a few blocks from the Ohio St. campus at the time and I drove there in about 3.5 days with stops in St. Louis, Amarillo and Needles, CA before arriving in West Hollywood meeting my UW buddies at a hotel right new Whiskey a Go Go.

btw You look pretty happy in that photo like you just pushed F. Rodney off a bridge. :)
dt

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Thu May 02, 2019 9:59 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:21 pm
XpertDBA wrote:
Hello Forum Members,

I was at that Rose Bowl as well. I was living a few blocks from the Ohio St. campus at the time and I drove there in about 3.5 days with stops in St. Louis, Amarillo and Needles, CA before arriving in West Hollywood meeting my UW buddies at a hotel right new Whiskey a Go Go.

btw You look pretty happy in that photo like you just pushed F. Rodney off a bridge. :)
Can we queue up SS next? :)

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 pm

Being pushed off a bridge is too easy of a way to go for SS. I'm thinking boiled in oil or drawn and quartered would be more appropriate. ;)
dt