Comprehensive look at who every mock draft has us taking

D-train

Re: Comprehensive look at who every mock draft has us taking

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Only 82 PAs before the shut down but this stat line for Gonzales is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.448/.610/1.155/1.765 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... nzal004nic
dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 am

The Mariners are fools if they don't use their first pick on Gordy McLemonade Jr. . He's got his father's speed, his mother's eyes, and he hits like a Bloomquist.

Sure he's old for a highschooler, and he had that run-in with the law, but that was 10 years ago when he had just turned 17. Good thing he wasn't tried as an adult, or we'd have to orchestrate a trade with the San Quentin team.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 14, 2020 2:21 am

Garrett Mitchell - Prospect Profile
MLB.com - April: "Big and strong, Mitchell is an easily plus runner who can steal bases and cover a ton of ground in center field, a premium position he'll be able to play long term with the chance to develop into at least an above-average defender in time."

Prospects Live - Mar. 24th: "A highly athletic, potential star defender with raw power that far outweighs current game power and an improving hit tool/approach. A legitimate 80 runner at 6-3 205, Mitchell covers a lot of ground in center, which he compliments with his plus arm."

James Weisser - Off The Bench Baseball - Mar. 23rd: "Garrett Mitchell is considered the top college outfielder thanks to his bat to ball skills and plus speed. He also does show raw power but will need to make it more consistent in-game to move higher up teams draft boards. "

Dan Zielinki - Baseball Prospect Journal - Mar. 22nd: "He is an above-average defensive player, possessing elite speed and solid arm strength. He has the chance to hit for average and power in pro ball with his quick left-handed swing while also using his speed to steal bases."

Keith Law - The Athletic - Mar. 16th: "Mitchell is an 80 runner with a short, slashy swing for contact, and plays a solid center field with a plus arm, but doesn’t project to power, and teams will have to consider how to weight his diabetes."

JJ Cooper - Athlon Sports - Mar. 10th: "Tools-wise, Mitchell has a strong case as the highest-upside hitter in the 2020 college draft class. He’s a speedster who has a chance to hit for power and hit for average as well."

Carlos Collazo - Baseball America - Jan. 31st : "Mitchell possesses the best package of tools in the 2020 class, with plus-plus running ability, plus arm strength, defense and raw power that some scouts are now citing as 70-grade juice. Mitchell has endlessly tweaked his swing throughout his amatuer career, but seemed to find his groove as a sophomore last season"
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 am

Without reading any further yet, it's hard to believe Dipoto isn't head over heels for the Mitchell kid.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 am

bpj wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 am
Without reading any further yet, it's hard to believe Dipoto isn't head over heels for the Mitchell kid.
Yep. CF version of Evan.. I like that he has great raw power that is just starting to translate to in game power. If it already had he wouldn't fall to 6.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 am

I still think JD is in win soon mode which will preclude a HS pick. I don't think he picks a HS kid before we make the playoffs....
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:33 am

With Nick Gonzales still on the board here is who Keith Law of the Athletic thinks the M's will draft:

"6. Seattle Mariners: Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville

I think Detmers, who might end up with 70 command but pitches with just average fastball velocity, could go here if he doesn’t go to the Jays, and if there’s anything different in the top five I’d expect Seattle to just take whoever falls to them (rather than focusing on a specific name)."

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:33 am
With Nick Gonzales still on the board here is who Keith Law of the Athletic thinks the M's will draft:

I think Detmers, who might end up with 70 command but pitches with just average fastball velocity, could go here if he doesn’t go to the Jays, and if there’s anything different in the top five I’d expect Seattle to just take whoever falls to them (rather than focusing on a specific name)."
Thank you, sir. Good God that sounds like such a Meh pick. I hope Law is wrong as usual.
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:59 pm
Bil522 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:33 am

Thank you, sir. Good God that sounds like such a Meh pick. I hope Law is wrong as usual.
It sounds like Marco 2.0

Speaking of the Athletic, I got a full year subscription for $29.95. If any of you have an education based email address or have a student with one that gets you access to a 50% savings each and every year. Just an FYI

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Also here is a different take from Keith Law of the Athletic:

"21. St. Louis Cardinals: Garrett Mitchell, OF, UCLA

Mitchell is an 80 runner and sure centerfielder, but teams are scared off by multiple factors, from questions about whether his swing will work with wood to health concerns given his diabetes. He reminds me a bit of Drew Stubbs, who wasn’t exactly the same kind of player — more power, a bit less speed, a slightly better defender at the same age — but went in the top ten picks in 2006."

Here is Drew Stubbs career......we definately want someone better than he was with #6

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... dr01.shtml