Virus Schmirus

D-train

Re: Virus Schmirus

Post by D-train » Wed May 20, 2020 1:36 pm

Perhaps we need a stock trading forum here.

Get this, I was on raging bull back in the day and me and a few online buddies took over a Railroad stock ABCR with no posts (RRs weren't very hot in the dotbomb era lol) and ended up having 10s of thousands of posts and dozens of posters. I would buy a stock about 10 minutes to close and post it on that board and it would go up another 10% before the bell, continue to go up in after hours and then I would sell at the open when it gapped up another 10-20%. I would literally make $3-5k holding it for less than 10 minutes trading time. It was freaking insanity.

btw when I was down to my last $3500 in Sept of 1999 I had $80k in credit card debt and my only asset was a POS vehicle. I figured I could pull it out and pay my debt down to $76,500 or roll the dice. Thank God I made the right decision. With my Immunex stock options I was a millionaire for about 2 days before the crash. So 80k in debt to millionaire in six months. :)
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:54 am
D-train wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:38 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:12 am

I actually purchased 30 shares at $22 a stock. I'm loving life at the moment!!
Curious what compelled you to buy in mid March before Covid was really an issue. Did you also sell at the high Monday morning? ;)
I saw a video on YouTube that said to invest a little bit of money into that stock. I watch guys like Rich TV Live and others daily. They give good tips. I got into that, Teladoc, Inovio, some silver and cannabis when the stock market was crashing. Warren Buffet always says, "Be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy." I'm also using multiple platforms for trading. Robinhood, TD Ameritrade, Webull, and Prudential for retirement. My grandfather worked in the stock market his entire career, so I learned some tips. I know just enough not to hurt myself.

https://youtu.be/ICfTwXj6KWA

This is one of the guys I watch.

And I didn't sell. I'm holding onto my stock. I still think its gonna do well. I can't day trade due to not wanting to get labeled as a Pattern Dat Trader, and I work graveyards as well.
Great quote there .....Always against the grain

My lessons to my 3 boys is buy snowmobiles in the summer and jet skis in the winter

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 20, 2020 2:14 pm

My biggest mistake was due fear. Bought nflx almost 20 years ago at about $25 and sold when it tanked to $20 after Blockbluster announced plans to compete with a mail DVD service. 1000 shares. It would be worth $2.5 million if I would have held.

https://finance.yahoo.com/chart/NFLX#ey ... FydCJ9fX19
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 26, 2020 1:58 am

thought this was interesting if for nothing more than the effort to research it. Bars and sporting events, high degree of exposure without a lot of actual necessity, trying to maintain them with proper social distancing in mind would seem to take all the fun out of it which is their redeeming aspect in the first place

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/23/your-guide-how/

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue May 26, 2020 2:18 am

D-train wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:38 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:12 am
ddraig wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:18 pm
A month ago, Moderna stock was selling for around $25 a share. I heard today it is now over $83. If you had purchases 40 shares at about $1000 back then. Your investment would be over $3300 today. If the governments will allow us to open restaurants and bars, the economy would take off because so many people are employed through those enterprises.
I actually purchased 30 shares at $22 a stock. I'm loving life at the moment!!
Curious what compelled you to buy in mid March before Covid was really an issue. Did you also sell at the high Monday morning? ;)

There was a recommendation by a few websites that some of our pharma companies are due to make a huge leap in stock prices. Moderna was one at the top of the list.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue May 26, 2020 2:25 am

But then I totally whiffed on Amazon when it was less than $5 a share. I convinced myself that the company had nothing holding it up! I was thinking about shoving $5000 at them. That was what, the mid-90's? That $5000 would be worth $2,437.000 today. And I can guarantee I wouldn't be teaching today if I had done that! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 am

I remember some article from somewhere that was about other articles that were crying about "If only I had invested X-dollars in Y-company I'd be loaded", but the twist is if the author had invested money at the time of their article it still would have been an amazing investment.

Lots of people in the mid 90s wished they had invested in Microsoft, but would have still done amazing if they invested in the mid 90s when they were lamenting not getting in back at the beginning.

Anyway... There are stocks available now in 2020 that, in 2040, we'll look back and wish we had invested in. And some of those are stocks that we think we've already missed out on, but we haven't by a long shot.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 26, 2020 10:29 am

Millikin wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 am
I remember some article from somewhere that was about other articles that were crying about "If only I had invested X-dollars in Y-company I'd be loaded", but the twist is if the author had invested money at the time of their article it still would have been an amazing investment.

Lots of people in the mid 90s wished they had invested in Microsoft, but would have still done amazing if they invested in the mid 90s when they were lamenting not getting in back at the beginning.

Anyway... There are stocks available now in 2020 that, in 2040, we'll look back and wish we had invested in. And some of those are stocks that we think we've already missed out on, but we haven't by a long shot.
Great point. D-train Inc. is a good example. If you all send me $10k you will be very wealthy in 20 years. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 26, 2020 10:46 am

Speaking of MSFT, I don't think people realize what a horrible CEO Ballmer was. We all know the incredible run the company had from its IPO in the late 80s until 2000 when Ballmer took over. In January of 2000 when he was named CEO the stock was at $57 a share. During his FOURTEEN year run it went from $57 to $38 a share during TWO incredible bull markets sandwiched around the crash of 2009. Over that same time frame, Apple went from $4 to $78 a share handing MSFT its lunch.

Since he retired in 2014 it has gone from $38 a share to $187 a share in just over 6 years. Classic case of better to be lucky than good. lol

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MSFT/ch ... xsfQ%3D%3D

And don't get me started on the fact they he could have easily bought the Sonics from Howie, built a new arena and still had a billion dollars left over with what he paid for the Clippers. He said he was too busy as CEO, obviously running a company into the ground takes a lot of time. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Economy is expected to rock Q3. Looks like the Chicken Little Dem Lockdowns can't even keep this economy in check.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/2 ... ats-281470
dt