Official 2019 Draft thread

ice99

Re: Official 2019 Draft thread

Post by ice99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:24 am

They picked 2 pitchers that had surgery. Their 59th overall pick had surgery in both hips and the 76th overall pick had bone spurs - hopefully they didn't miss anything on the medicals.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:25 am

3 starting pitchers with our 1st 3 picks!! Somebody pinch me. This is awesome. As long as Dipoto doesn't trade any of it.

I hope we keep grabbing more arms, but would love a bat on the left side of the infield and a C prospect both in the Top 10.

Gonzalez, Gilbert, Kirby, Dunn, Sheffield, Swanson, Newsome, Williamson, Campbell.

Seattle is quietly stockpiling starting pitching. Let's hope it pans out.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:31 am

ice99 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:24 am
They picked 2 pitchers that had surgery. Their 59th overall pick had surgery in both hips and the 76th overall pick had bone spurs - hopefully they didn't miss anything on the medicals.
I think that qualifies for your "High risk- High reward" types you were banging the drum for. You sure you dont have a wire tapped into our War Room?

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:43 am

Seriously I don't like pissing on anyone's Wheaties, but the long-term results of an MLB draft are so random and unpredictable it makes the NFL draft look like hard science.

I'm tempted to scrounge up threads from previous drafts and read excited posts about draftees we never saw in a Mariners uniform. I picture something like, "We got Joe Magranalioni! World Series for the M's!"

Anyway, I hope this particular draft class ends up being great for us. It's possible next year's draft will be the big one, assuming we'll get the #1 pick.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:51 am

We are in the 6th slot right now, and ever so close to "rising" up to the 5th! You see what I did there. Lol

Sign me up for the next "Bryce Harper" baseball phenom "BLAZE JORDAN!" Yeah baby!!!!!! Though he's not supposed to come out until 2021.

https://youtu.be/tsQIe-It7Io
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:55 am

ice99 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:21 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:19 am
George Kirby, Brandon Williamson, and Isiah Campbell. PITCHING, PITCHING and more PITCHING!!!!

Ice, Campbell is you're high risk high reward guy it sounds like.

He was selected last year in the 24th round, but he entered 2019 as a popular breakout pick. The righty was sidelined for most of 2017 with bone spurs and then came back last spring and struggled to put it together consistently, showing some flashes but never on a regular basis. He’s come back this year with some new tools that have allowed him to rise as a likely Day One selection.

Campbell is ranked as the number 47 draft prospect on Baseball America’s top 500 draft prospects list, and according to them the big change for him this year has been the addition of a slider to his pitch mix. In the past, he threw more of a slow, looping curveball that wasn’t a very consistently effective offering. So, he ditched that and has turned to a harder, sharper breaking ball that has worked extremely well. He pairs that with a fastball that can get up to 95 mph and is his best pitch, as well as a changeup that is getting better and has the potential to be above-average if everything goes well.

Campbell fits in the Red Sox mold in that there’s a chance he ends up as a reliever. He’s a big righty with an effective fastball/slider combination that could potentially play up in shorter stints. That said, he’s a big kid — listed at 6’4” 225 pounds — that has the body to hold up through the rigors of a professional season. With the improvement of his changeup and especially with his command this season, there is growing belief that he has the potential to stay as a starter. Some other targets in this range are almost certainly going to be relievers eventually, whereas it’s more of a toss-up with Campbell, and some are leaning more towards a future in a rotation being morelikely than not.

It sounds good as long as he doesn't wind up as a reliever.
If he makes the MLB it's a good pick, starter or reliever.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:56 am

Agreed Juliooooo. +1

I'm also hoping for some high upside quality arms in rds 4-7 such as "Seth Elledge/Wyatt Mills" type arms that we've selected in the past.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:02 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:04 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 am
4.19 ERA? Is that a misprint???? :|
Yeesh.

Looking at the numbers, here's my hypothesis. He's been playing with the M's defense behind him.

50 Runs, 36 Earned...

89 K's in 77.1 IP is pretty good. Let's hope it's the D.
Let's hope TCU's home stadium is on the moon with zero gravity. I'm sorry, if you can't give up less than 4 runs a per 9 vs Big 12 hitters, I don't see you in a big league uniform any time soon.
Pretty unimpressive. Except in size.

Big boys we drafted, I'll give them that.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:07 am

on the Korey Lee pick...
In the end, the Astros went in a third direction. They, like 28 other teams, were too skittish on Misner’s contact ability to pull the trigger in round one, and opted for a late rising, 2019 breakout prospect in Cal catcher Korey Lee. While Lee was outside of the top 100 draft prospects for some outlets, he started to shoot up some boards late in the process on the heels of a strong junior campaign, and ranked 45th overall on the final edition of FanGraphs’ THE BOARD. He’s a slight reach at the 32nd selection, but the Astros clearly coveted Lee and didn’t feel comfortable trying to steal him in round 2.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:24 am

Can't upload it but our Scouting Director saying that no one else spotted Kirby's walk to so ratio is just cringeworthy.