This dreadful season is only 40% done Game Thread 6/4/19

Millikin

Re: GAME THREAD This dreadful season is only 40% done 6/4/19

Post by Millikin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 am

If Mallex was an established great player, multi-season all-star, the whole helmet falling off thing might be a cool, albeit juvenile, trademark.

As it stands, maybe someone, a coach, another player, anyone, should tell him to get a helmet that fcking fits his dumb head.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:00 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 am
see where Divish asked Gonzalez what was wrong with him
Instead of pontificating on my own, I went and asked Marco Gonzales about the situation. Conversations with Gonzales are rarely dull and usually interesting. He answers questions willingly and honestly.

But let’s do a quick data check on this question with the help of Brooks Baseball.

2018 — Four-seam fastball (90.9 mph), two-seam fastball (90.8 mph), changeup (84.3 mph), curveball (78.7 mph), cutter (87.8 mph)
2019 — Four-seam fastball (88.9 mph), two-seam fastball (89.0 mph), changeup (81.1 mph), curveball (76.1 mph), cutter (85.2 mph)
Gonzales’ velocity is down a few ticks on his pitches. Though it might be starting to trend up.

“My last start was my best velo,” he said. “It was 90-91 mph, it’s going up.”

Indeed, Gonzales’ fastball and sinker averaged 90 mph, respectively, and touched 91 mph multiple times in his outing against the Rangers on Tuesday. He also gave up eight runs on eight hits in the game.

While much attention is paid to the radar guns, Gonzales can’t allow himself to get caught up in the difference between an 88 mph sinker vs. a 90 mph sinker.

“I can’t be concerned about velocity,” he said. “I’m a left-handed pitcher with movement with five different pitches. Velocity should be the last thing on my mind. Location and command and difference in pitch speed is the main focus.”

There are many pitchers that devote their offseason to gaining 2 to 3 mph for that extra edge. Gonzales said he could try and pump it up on his fastball and gain a few extra ticks of velocity to maybe 92-93 mph, but it wouldn’t be sustainable.

“I would get worse,” he said. “That’s asking me to throw away everything I’ve worked on my entire life to now focus on velocity, which has nothing to do with success in the big leagues. The people who have trained their whole life to throw hard, they continue to throw hard. But the people that have trained to pitch their entire lives as I have, same as Wade LeBlanc and Mike Leake and even Felix (Hernandez), there’s not an ounce of us that believes that velocity is the main factor of our success.”

And the guys that throw hard?

“People who throw above 95 give up homers still,” he said. “It’s about the people who know how to pitch, command a zone and get guys off balance. Everyone can hit a homer now.”
Divish and Marco. Nice, erudite conversation.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 am

Omar's single brings one of the runs back, now 4-2. Come ooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, Seager!

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:02 am

Wtf are they hitting for Beckham for???

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:02 am

A Beckham Grand Salami would taste very good right now.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 am

Alright, so Lefty coming in to face Vogel. So much for that...
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:02 am
Huh? Righty/Lefty, I guess. Get some, Vogey!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 am
see where Divish asked Gonzalez what was wrong with him
Instead of pontificating on my own, I went and asked Marco Gonzales about the situation. Conversations with Gonzales are rarely dull and usually interesting. He answers questions willingly and honestly.

But let’s do a quick data check on this question with the help of Brooks Baseball.

2018 — Four-seam fastball (90.9 mph), two-seam fastball (90.8 mph), changeup (84.3 mph), curveball (78.7 mph), cutter (87.8 mph)
2019 — Four-seam fastball (88.9 mph), two-seam fastball (89.0 mph), changeup (81.1 mph), curveball (76.1 mph), cutter (85.2 mph)
Gonzales’ velocity is down a few ticks on his pitches. Though it might be starting to trend up.

“My last start was my best velo,” he said. “It was 90-91 mph, it’s going up.”

Indeed, Gonzales’ fastball and sinker averaged 90 mph, respectively, and touched 91 mph multiple times in his outing against the Rangers on Tuesday. He also gave up eight runs on eight hits in the game.

While much attention is paid to the radar guns, Gonzales can’t allow himself to get caught up in the difference between an 88 mph sinker vs. a 90 mph sinker.

“I can’t be concerned about velocity,” he said. “I’m a left-handed pitcher with movement with five different pitches. Velocity should be the last thing on my mind. Location and command and difference in pitch speed is the main focus.”

There are many pitchers that devote their offseason to gaining 2 to 3 mph for that extra edge. Gonzales said he could try and pump it up on his fastball and gain a few extra ticks of velocity to maybe 92-93 mph, but it wouldn’t be sustainable.

“I would get worse,” he said. “That’s asking me to throw away everything I’ve worked on my entire life to now focus on velocity, which has nothing to do with success in the big leagues. The people who have trained their whole life to throw hard, they continue to throw hard. But the people that have trained to pitch their entire lives as I have, same as Wade LeBlanc and Mike Leake and even Felix (Hernandez), there’s not an ounce of us that believes that velocity is the main factor of our success.”

And the guys that throw hard?

“People who throw above 95 give up homers still,” he said. “It’s about the people who know how to pitch, command a zone and get guys off balance. Everyone can hit a homer now.”
Yep, refreshing on both fronts.
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 am

Millikin wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 am
Alright, so Lefty coming in to face Vogel. So much for that...
Some managers manage..............and Servais....................

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 am

rockycola wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 am
bpj wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:02 am
Huh? Righty/Lefty, I guess. Get some, Vogey!
Yeah nobody could have ever guessed they would just counter.