Here’s a MLB oddity

Hy Feiber

Here’s a MLB oddity

Post by Hy Feiber » Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am

Whenever East Coast teams like the Yankees, Jays, and Red Sox come to town, the stadium is filled with their fans.

But when division foes Astros, A’s, Rangers, and Angels are here, their fans are sparse in numbers.

Seems odd.

D-train

Re: Here’s a MLB oddity

Post by D-train » Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 am

Hy Feiber wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am
Whenever East Coast teams like the Yankees, Jays, and Red Sox come to town, the stadium is filled with their fans.

But when division foes Astros, A’s, Rangers, and Angels are here, their fans are sparse in numbers.

Seems odd.
Two possible explanations.

1. Their fans hate them even more than we do

2. Their fans are not familiar with Air travel.
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 am

Hy Feiber wrote:

Seems odd.
Do M's fans fill Baltimore's, Detroit's, Bronx or Boston's stadiums?
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Fri May 03, 2019 1:41 am

There's a giant group of people who have always lived here who picked the Yankees, Redsox, etc, back in the day and that's just their team. The Mariners yearly mediocrity keeps this number growing, as people just say screw you Mariners, I'll pick a new team.

Then there's having one of the biggest military installations in the country nearby. Lots more fans of the big, popular teams are stationed here. Plus loads of people from other states, like my dad from New York, retire here. He was a New York Giants fan, so not a Yankee fan, though.

I bet less than half of any opposing fans (except Jays) actually travel from far away.

Then there's the Blue Jays.... Canada's national team and Seattle is close to one of the largest cities in the country.

As for as the other AL West teams. They just have fewer fans. The Yankees have probably 20x more fans than the Rangers, for example.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri May 03, 2019 1:54 am

Hy Feiber wrote:

Seems odd.
Yankees and red sox have huge fan bases thanks to long history, and lots of success. Toronto has Canada. They also only have 1 series a year in Seattle typically. Our division rivals play here multiple times a year, so their fans are more spread out over those trips.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez