Re: Most disappointing thing about this season

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:41 pm
The Astroknott wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:00 pm

That’s a fairly big if, I can hope with the best of them, However to expect that 105/6 to hold in the big leagues is unlikely. That is bound to regress when he makes it to t-mobile. The idea that he can increase his velocity is possible. He is sitting 91-93 right now, That’s not exactly overwhelming Ace stuff. That screams regression when he faces a yankee lineup or the Astros. We shall see, I just don’t see what sexy sees
Not really. Strike throwing is a trait that doesn't go away. Provided the strike zone is umpired in the same fashion, he should continue to be a big time strike thrower. K numbers could regress a little but the low walk rate should remain
I don't think he's saying he'll keep the same ratio, but I think it's fair to say he can stay well above average with his K/BB ratio. Chris Sale is best all time with 5.33 K/BB. I think he can stay in the 4-5 range which would put him top 10 all time. Interesting that 7 of the top 9 are active players.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/lead ... reer.shtml
So the best all time is 5.33 and he is at 17.8. THAT IS FREAKING INSANE!
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Not really. Strike throwing is a trait that doesn't go away. Provided the strike zone is umpired in the same fashion, he should continue to be a big time strike thrower. K numbers could regress a little but the low walk rate should remain
I don't think he's saying he'll keep the same ratio, but I think it's fair to say he can stay well above average with his K/BB ratio. Chris Sale is best all time with 5.33 K/BB. I think he can stay in the 4-5 range which would put him top 10 all time. Interesting that 7 of the top 9 are active players.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/lead ... reer.shtml
So the best all time is 5.33 and he is at 17.8. THAT IS FREAKING INSANE!
He was at 17.88 for 1 season. Not sure the best for 1 year. This year Hyun-Jin Ryu is at 14.2. I imagine that the overall ratio has gone up through the years, as K's have become more common and less frowned upon. A few players have done better than 10 for a full season the last decade. Verlander lead with 7.89 last year.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:08 pm

True, relatively small sample but still.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:26 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:08 pm
Large enough to realize that he has plus command.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:26 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:08 pm
Large enough to realize that he has plus command.
Of course he will probably turn into Sheffield 27 minutes after donning an M's jersey.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Sheff's ratio 1.15 :? :roll: :(
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:28 pm
Hopefully he figures it out. When throwing strikes he's pretty good. He misses bats and doesn't get hit a lot, but almost 7 BB for 9 IP is atrocious. He's never been as bad as it is right now. Its got to be something mental

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:55 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:42 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:28 pm
Hopefully he figures it out. When throwing strikes he's pretty good. He misses bats and doesn't get hit a lot, but almost 7 BB for 9 IP is atrocious. He's never been as bad as it is right now. Its got to be something mental
Unexpected moves from the big city and thrown into the wilderness does that sometimes.

It's got to be a simple tweak to begin throwing strikes more than balls. It would be better to tell him to just start throwing down the middle and get hammered for awhile. I think it's easier to to start from the middle and slowly work outwards than starting outside in.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 am

he has been looking better, had a good start the other night...
“I think those early-season jitters combined with some mechanical things just kind of had me in a bad slump,” Sheffield said. “But, where I am now from where I was is pretty encouraging to see.”
“The body control has really started to take shape in the last two to three outings,” Painter said. “He’s able to calm a game down inside, and now he’s able to repeat pitches more consistently. When he gets one that takes off on him, he’s able to get the next pitch in the zone. That’s something we’ve been working on, and it’s starting to show a lot of positives.”
https://www-1.thenewstribune.com/sports ... 72699.html