Opener ERA

Captain 97

Opener ERA

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Has anyone gone through and calculated the ERA of our "Openers" Its got to be north of 20, yet our idiot of a manager keeps running them out there.

D-train

Re: Opener ERA

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:03 pm

The only way it makes sense is if they are trying to look trendy while secretly trying to tank.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:45 pm
Has anyone gone through and calculated the ERA of our "Openers" Its got to be north of 20, yet our idiot of a manager keeps running them out there.
How's about you do the calculations and get back to us. My guess would be 14.3

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Not including the time Kikuchi opened, the Mariners have tried it six times. Four times its been a disaster for the opener, with an overall total of 11 runs allowed in 5 1/3 innings. Surprisingly, in five of the six outings it's worked out well for Millone and LeBlanc, with an overall total of 14 runs allowed in 34 1/3 innings.

The question is, would Millone and LeBlanc be getting the same results if they just started? It would be better to find out because you cant open games with bad relief pitchers and dig yourself an early hole.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm

I don't think they are looking at the first inning as the judge of whether the opener is effective. They are seeing if it helps the "starter" be more effective. They know the bullpen stinks. Is it worse for them to suck in the first inning or the 6th inning?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

:::

Post by ::: » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Depends on why they are doing it. Is it to put the team in the best position to win that specific game? Uh, probbaly not. Is it to get a feel for it to see if it's an approach they'll want to continue to use in the future, most likely. In Bautista's case, is it to put him in a low pressure situation to see he he can settle down and find some control, probably. I've got no'problem with them trying out different things this year. In fact, I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:42 pm

They're clearly just trying to give different people a shot at "starting" a big league game.

We know it's a rebuilding year. They're going to do all sorts of weird stuff.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Yep all sorts of weird stuff but nothing as weird as letting Vogel play first base or hit lefties. lol So hilarious that the reason given for having EE play 1B was to boost his trade value. Well THANK GOD for that. Imagine the return if they hadn't!!!
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 pm

I was going to do my own post on this but will add-on. I have noted the bad results from the opener but also noted the follower having good results a few times.
Openers
Austin Adams X2 1.2 inning 3 ER vs a 2.45 ERA as BP guy
Gerson Bautista X2 2 innings 3 ER vs 9 ERA as a BP guy
Gearin 1 inning 3 ER vs 3.91 BP ERA
Tayler Scott 2/3 inning 2 ER vs similar SSS suck
= 18 .57 ERA for opener
Followers ~ Thanks David Gee
14 runs allowed in 34 1/3 innings. = 3.67 ERA

I think the strategy should work. In theory we have data that shows hitters hit pitchers better the 3rd -4th time through the line-up. The opener allows two things. Ideally the opener pitches 1 or 2 innings and gets the top of the line-up maybe even 1 full pass through the line-up. This allows the follower to get deep into the game even from a 5 and dive guy.

The 2nd possible advantage is hitters prepping for the starter. You would have to prep for both the opener and the follower. I have heard of timing getting off because hitters face a starter that throws 60 MPH with a knuckler and pumps up 81 on the hands.

I did read a WSU Coug Jim Moore take on it. :idea: :arrow: :roll: . He did not have a lot of research which should not shock anyone. One thing he did say is that maybe the openers are not prepared or use to walking out for inning 1. Maybe that could be true, maybe not. You know we have the Hawks reply to how did you prepare for this national prime time game? Like all games they are championship opportunities.

I think it should work and so if you can develop an opener, S-U duo, and a uber closer your pitching should be good to go. Ideally you have at least 3 TORs 2 #1s and a #2, etc, etc. You then have 1 or 2 spots that you use a back-end quality BP guy to open for these 1 or 2 mid-back end rotation or journeyman types. So, the strategy will work if you can have the horses to pull the cart. Last years Bp had them closer Diaz 208 ERA+, S-U Colome 162 ERA+, LH SU Pazos 142 ERA+, and opener Elias 154 ERA+. This year they don't have a shut down closer let alone 4 lock-down guys that are healthy. This year they just don't have 1 stud BP guy let alone 4 :idea: :shock: .

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:47 am

here is SS talking about it, not much there other than he says he likes it, there is this in terms of a reason they are doing it
The Mariners (28-41) have used a true opener in three games this season — not including rookie starter Yusei Kikuchi’s abbreviated start in April — all in the past week to help break up a starting rotation that currently includes four lefties.