The Myth that Vogey can't play first base

D-train

The Myth that Vogey can't play first base

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 am

A week or so ago I started a thread about the fact that Vogey is slow. Myth busted.

Tonight let's look at his D at 1B which most experts here think is horrid. Now I realize this is a tiny sample but it is all we have to go on. There are 49 players that have played 120+ innings at 1B this season. VB is ranked 9th.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &page=1_30
dt

D-train

Re: The Myth that Vogey can't play first base

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:28 am

Is this proof that he is actually a cross between Olerud and Keith Hernandez? Of course not but I think it does show he is at least viable at the cold corner.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:01 am

they are planning to play him there more
He will see plenty of time there in the coming weeks, Servais said, but could also still appear regularly in his usual capacity as DH, where he is slashing at .255/.391/.538 with a team-leading 17 homers and 40 RBIs. Servais said he doesn’t want to roll Vogelbach out at first base for extended periods in a row.

“It’s really important (to remember) Vogey’s tool is his bat, and to make sure he keeps going there,” Servais said. “Vogey will get plenty of first base time, but you’ll see some (Austin) Nola, you’ll see some (Dylan) Moore. You might see (Tim) Beckham over there. There’s some different guys we could try over there.”

Nola, who made his MLB debut Sunday afternoon, was promoted from Triple-A Tacoma following Encarnacion’s departure for New York, partially to help fill in at first base. Though he was primarily used as a catcher with the Rainiers, Nola also played 200 innings of error-free baseball at first for Tacoma, appearing there in 24 games.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:01 am
they are planning to play him there more
He will see plenty of time there in the coming weeks, Servais said, but could also still appear regularly in his usual capacity as DH, where he is slashing at .255/.391/.538 with a team-leading 17 homers and 40 RBIs. Servais said he doesn’t want to roll Vogelbach out at first base for extended periods in a row.

“It’s really important (to remember) Vogey’s tool is his bat, and to make sure he keeps going there,” Servais said. “Vogey will get plenty of first base time, but you’ll see some (Austin) Nola, you’ll see some (Dylan) Moore. You might see (Tim) Beckham over there. There’s some different guys we could try over there.”

Nola, who made his MLB debut Sunday afternoon, was promoted from Triple-A Tacoma following Encarnacion’s departure for New York, partially to help fill in at first base. Though he was primarily used as a catcher with the Rainiers, Nola also played 200 innings of error-free baseball at first for Tacoma, appearing there in 24 games.
Thanks. I would love to here SSs theory on how playing 1B might negatively impact his bat.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 am

Obviously I hope White can hit at the big league level and he is our 1B but I could see a scenario where Santana is the DH next year with Vogey at 1st and a Fraley, Smith Haniger OF.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:43 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 am
Obviously I hope White can hit at the big league level and he is our 1B but I could see a scenario where Santana is the DH next year with Vogey at 1st and a Fraley, Smith Haniger OF.
That does not sound bad to me. But what do you do if Omar and Tom continue to hit like they are. 129 OPS+ and 146 OPS+ from catchers.

Tom Murphy has those numbers in 96 PAs. SSS for sure. Back to his debut over his 1st 2 years he had a 136 OPS+ in 88 PAs over 2 seasons. The next 2 years were not so good .199 OPS in 26 PAs in 18 and a .659 OPS in 96 PAs last year all in Colorado. He has hit in the minors pretty well throughout so maybe they found a diamond in the rough.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:49 am

Hanjag wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:43 am
D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 am
That does not sound bad to me. But what do you do if Omar and Tom continue to hit like they are. 129 OPS+ and 146 OPS+ from catchers.

Tom Murphy has those numbers in 96 PAs. SSS for sure. Back to his debut over his 1st 2 years he had a 136 OPS+ in 88 PAs over 2 seasons. The next 2 years were not so good .199 OPS in 26 PAs in 18 and a .659 OPS in 96 PAs last year all in Colorado. He has hit in the minors pretty well throughout so maybe they found a diamond in the rough.
Move Murphy to the bullpen. He probably pitches better than half those guys out there now. The first ever two way relief pitcher.
dt

:::

Post by ::: » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 am

Man, I agree with just avout everything said on this thread. Good stuff. Yeah, Farley has shown this year that he's at least serviceable at first. Huge strides forward defensively from what he showed early on. Let him hit some lefties!!!