Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Donn Beach

Re: Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:31 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:16 pm
that is fWAR?...Monty has 1.8 bWAR...and there is the cumulative aspect, 8 fWAR since we traded him. But Vogy seems to be coming around. I was gonna say the other day, maybe there was a reason for keeping him in the minors for so long. Montgomery still seems pretty important to the Cubs, he has been on the DL for a month? ...Montgomery exited the game with left middle finger discomfort, according to ESPN's Jesse Rogers, that from a month ago...another sissy!
Yeah fWAR. I realize VB has some catching up to do but that is the M's fault not his. I think if they would have started the rebuild when they should have by trading Cruz and making him the full time DH he would be right there with Monty if not higher.
i meant that maybe he needed the time in the minors, we blame them for rushing a guy, how about credit for not rushing them...and yea, catching up but that is ok, so long as he continues to produce

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm
I think that's a bit of a stretch. Farley didn't set the world on fire when he was brought up earlier. There's no way imo to assume he would have succeeded if he was given the full time DH spot a year or more ago. For all we know, the way the M's have handled him has been perfect for his development. Last but not least, I don't mean to keep scratching at this point but the M's do not have any confidence in his ability to hit left handed pitching. Until they give him a chance and he proves that he can, he's going to be platooned.
Have we not faced and lefty starters in the past 3+ weeks? He has started every game since June 4th.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=2019

And not many 23-25 yo's set the world on fire with sporadic playing time.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Rushing guys is so overblown imo. Is Zunino still sucking because he was rushed 6 years ago. Griffey Jr. and Trout seemed to survive making the big leagues at age 19 and sucking in their first seasons.
dt

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Like i said flame away, I hope I am wrong but I think now is the time to cash in on him. If we were a win now team I would not have this opinion but I am book-marking, the great thing is I will own up to my huge error but right now I think his numbers warrant a decent return and I am not convinced he can replicate.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm
Like i said flame away, I hope I am wrong but I think now is the time to cash in on him. If we were a win now team I would not have this opinion but I am book-marking, the great thing is I will own up to my huge error but right now I think his numbers warrant a decent return and I am not convinced he can replicate.
No flame. Its a reasonable opinion that I disagree with. :)
dt

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:49 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm
No flame. Its a reasonable opinion that I disagree with. :)
Totally agree, i was arguing with myself much over the last two weeks before posting this. :mrgreen:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:49 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm
Rushing guys is so overblown imo. Is Zunino still sucking because he was rushed 6 years ago. Griffey Jr. and Trout seemed to survive making the big leagues at age 19 and sucking in their first seasons.
coming from the most patient baseball fan there is lol...I don't know if its so much ruining him as wasting the control time teaching him how to hit a baseball, I think the time he spent adjusting his swing was the time you are speaking to calling him up... i don't think Trout or Jr where in the middle of swing adjustments when they were promoted.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:09 pm

about a Vogelbach youtube video posted last season...he wasn't even receptive to making changes. I think the time in the minors might have been well spent. Yea, if you bring a guy up before you get through to him he could be ruined because he is a MLer now, he has made it, you are really not going to have that same access, he is going to tune it out because he has reached his goal

The caption on the video said — “Sometimes you just gotta make a change.”

It wasn’t as quite as cryptic as a teenager’s Facebook post of “so over it” or more recently Twitter posts from NFL players like the Seahawks secondary when it comes to roster moves.

But it did lead to a fair amount of speculation and curiosity from diehard fans, who saw it, as to what it meant.

Well about two months later, there is an answer … sort of. It was mostly about making changes to his swing, but also his approach, his attitude … everything.

“It was time,” he said. “I definitely made some adjustments in the offseason that I really hadn’t been willing to make.”
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ay-roster/

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:49 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm
coming from the most patient baseball fan there is lol...I don't know if its so much ruining him as wasting the control time teaching him how to hit a baseball, I think the time he spent adjusting his swing was the time you are speaking to calling him up... i don't think Trout or Jr where in the middle of swing adjustments when they were promoted.
My point is if you are going to bring him up LIKE THEY DID, then play him every day or send him back to the minors. They should never have brought him up at all given Cruz was the DH and his limitations at 1B.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:35 pm

who knows, it didn't affect his control did it?...maybe they were showing what he was missing by not listening to them...they seem to have gotten though to him, i won't second guess it.