Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

D-train

Re: Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Yep all's well that end's well. Most valuable DH in baseball........

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2019-12-31
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Choo is having another pretty good year...remember when that signing was looking like a disaster, could be health related, hadn't noticed they were playing him at DH

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:01 pm
I also don't think you really get that much for him, sure he has all that control but right off the bat you eliminate half the teams in the NL, and there are not a lot of AL teams looking for a DH, see EE
I don't like poo-pooing everybody's trade ideas but it is kinda the way it is. Just like EE had a limited market where teams were just not willing to give up much. Vogey has a bigger market because he is young. However, he does not have a proven track record like a Mitch Haniger has proven.

Not just what you are getting or in this case what you are not getting in return, but what you are letting go. The M's have Evan White coming but he is probably a year away. Healy was not good and may never play again. I would be more willing to move one of the outfielders because Fraley is in AAA, leading the way of Lewis, Kelenic, and JRod.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm
Rushing guys is so overblown imo. Is Zunino still sucking because he was rushed 6 years ago. Griffey Jr. and Trout seemed to survive making the big leagues at age 19 and sucking in their first seasons.
As with any athlete, it is about the mental make-up of the player. Confidence in ones self and abilities and being able to maximize them is one of the biggest factors in being a player and being a superstar. Junior, Trout, ARod etc. never doubted that they wouldn't be good. Zunino was not confident at the plate when he came up because he was rushed through the minors.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm
I think that's a bit of a stretch. Farley didn't set the world on fire when he was brought up earlier. There's no way imo to assume he would have succeeded if he was given the full time DH spot a year or more ago. For all we know, the way the M's have handled him has been perfect for his development. Last but not least, I don't mean to keep scratching at this point but the M's do not have any confidence in his ability to hit left handed pitching. Until they give him a chance and he proves that he can, he's going to be platooned.
Fake news! Earlier in the season when they were trying to push EE, Bruce, etc they may have sat Vogey more often vs LHP for obvious reasons. I don't fault them for trying to make the right handed hitters in advantageous positions and partially shielding building confidence with Vogey. It has worked after really struggling VBach now has a .764 OPS vs LH starters. He is still susceptible against LOOGYs he has a .509 OPS vs LH BP guys.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Vogelbach is already 26. How long do you expect his body to hold up? Prince Fielder was basically done being productive at age 28. Mo Vaugn was done being Productive at age 30.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:20 pm
I was one of the biggest Vogelbach nut swingers last season. Now, I am thinking he is exactly where he should be but I am not convinced he is going to be the perennial player we need. I honestly believe he could get us a good return right now and ridiculously I would wan't to trade him now. I am being out there and feel free to flame away.
For his age, Vogelbach's numbers are more impressive than Edgars.

Vogelbach has a Frank Thomas level bat potential. At his age, with the control we have, it would take way more than Mike Montgomery in return. I don't think DH is easy to fill, despite our recent luck, so I wouldn't let Vogey go at all. He's probably the last guy I would trade.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:24 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm
Vogelbach is already 26. How long do you expect his body to hold up? Prince Fielder was basically done being productive at age 28. Mo Vaugn was done being Productive at age 30.
What about Big Papi David Ortiz?

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:24 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm
What about Big Papi David Ortiz?
People were raving about Ortiz in minors, my synopsis is this guy could be sketchy in the future and I would take the 💰 now.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm
Like i said flame away, I hope I am wrong but I think now is the time to cash in on him. If we were a win now team I would not have this opinion but I am book-marking, the great thing is I will own up to my huge error but right now I think his numbers warrant a decent return and I am not convinced he can replicate.
He was a .287 hitter in the minors with a high OBP. I think he will replicate that in the majors. But his ego demands that he's an "everyday" guy... like he was in the minors. Give him that and he will thrive.
DMM