Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Double Mocha Man

Re: Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm

Who's watching the debates tonight? Maybe Vogey's name will come up in discussion.
DMM

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:11 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:28 pm
Hanjag wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:24 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm
Vogelbach is already 26. How long do you expect his body to hold up? Prince Fielder was basically done being productive at age 28. Mo Vaugn was done being Productive at age 30.
What about Big Papi David Ortiz?
People were raving about Ortiz in minors, my synopsis is this guy could be sketchy in the future and I would take the 💰 now.
What about him. He was 6-3 230. Vogelbach is 6-0 260 and I think that's a conservative number. Not the same body type at all.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Bost ... K8CjHx.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ped%29.jpg

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:58 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm
Rushing guys is so overblown imo. Is Zunino still sucking because he was rushed 6 years ago. Griffey Jr. and Trout seemed to survive making the big leagues at age 19 and sucking in their first seasons.
As with any athlete, it is about the mental make-up of the player. Confidence in ones self and abilities and being able to maximize them is one of the biggest factors in being a player and being a superstar. Junior, Trout, ARod etc. never doubted that they wouldn't be good. Zunino was not confident at the plate when he came up because he was rushed through the minors.
Impossible clinical trial to run because you would need an alternate universe to run it but I would bet Zunino would still be sucking right now even if he wasn't rushed.
dt

glenstar

Post by glenstar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:55 pm
Not even arb eligible until 2022, not FA eligible until 2025
Rare combo of patience and power
Perfect DH that can back up at 1B
No reason to think it isn't sustainable given his history in the minors
Fan Favorite and a reason to come to the park and watch on TV

At some point you need to stop trading guys that are good for guys that might be good, especially 26 yo's with 5 years of control

Yes, at some point you need to keep some bricks if you are going to build something. I couldn't' agree more. I was not a Vogelbach fan at all, but he has slowly won me over, and he is bemeficial for his power and the exuberance that he brings to the game.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 pm

glenstar wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:37 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:55 pm
Not even arb eligible until 2022, not FA eligible until 2025
Rare combo of patience and power
Perfect DH that can back up at 1B
No reason to think it isn't sustainable given his history in the minors
Fan Favorite and a reason to come to the park and watch on TV

At some point you need to stop trading guys that are good for guys that might be good, especially 26 yo's with 5 years of control

Yes, at some point you need to keep some bricks if you are going to build something. I couldn't' agree more. I was not a Vogelbach fan at all, but he has slowly won me over, and he is bemeficial for his power and the exuberance that he brings to the game.
Did you see him in the dugout last night after his bomb? I was more entertained by that than the rest of the game combined. There are a lot of reasons that we are fans and not all them can be measured and at some point you need something more to root for than laundry. I love rooting for Vogey.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm
Who's watching the debates tonight? Maybe Vogey's name will come up in discussion.
I can't believe it is already that time again. There really has not been any let down after the last election cycle.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:28 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:17 pm
Double Mocha Man wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm
I can't believe it is already that time again. There really has not been any let down after the last election cycle.
Here is a good preview.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1 ... 1116829696
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm

I suppose if there were an offer that would provide quick-to-mature talent, and long-term positive contribution to the staff (that superseded Vogie's contribution), I'd be in support of it. There are aspects of his talent, though, that I see as overwhelmingly positive to the team, especially in a rebuild phase:

a) LH bat with plus power, under team control for next few seasons
b) Able to field a position and not be a defensive embarrassment
c) Positive clubhouse and dugout personality
d) Still on the shy side of peak physical years, chronologically speaking
e) Skills ostensibly pre-plateau or plateauing by the time 2021 rolls around, providing a superb compliment to emerging farm talent, and a power core to that lineup

If I were the GM, it'd take an MLB top 50 prospect, plus.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Rushing guys is so overblown imo. Is Zunino still sucking because he was rushed 6 years ago. Griffey Jr. and Trout seemed to survive making the big leagues at age 19 and sucking in their first seasons.
In all fairness, I believe Zunino, Ackley, and Smoak were all rushed. But that's just my opinion. You might not agree with me, but I haven't seen anything to change my mind about it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 pm
D-train wrote:
In all fairness, I believe Zunino, Ackley, and Smoak were all rushed. But that's just my opinion. You might not agree with me, but I haven't seen anything to change my mind about it.
Not saying the weren't rushed other than Ackley who was 23 and had almost 1k PAs. Just saying they wouldn't be much better if they hadn't. I can see it hurting them for the first couple years but Smoak has had and OPS well over .800 the past 3 seasons and Zunino had an OPS over .800 a couple years ago.
dt