Phillies’ buying their way to Mediocrity!!

Hanjag

Re: Phillies’ buying their way to Mediocrity!!

Post by Hanjag » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:52 am

Hy Feiber wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:39 am
D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:33 am
I said during the off season that Harper is the most overrated guy in baseball.

Amazing how well JD has done bringing in position players and how poorly he has done bringing in pitchers. Rather ironic given he was a pitcher.
The Harper deal was crazy as hell, hopefully he’ll rival Chris Davis for utter futility!

Hank Aaron would deserve say $800 mil in comparison!

Virtually No player today could hold a candle to Mays, Mantle, Clemente, Aaron, or Musial!

And Mickey was a switch hitter!

You’re right about Dipoto, his valuation of pitchers, especially “relievers,” has proven to be awful.

It’s why they are total strangers, they’re dumped before we know em!
I'd argue that Trout is as good as any legend ever. Since his 19 year old cup of tea time he has never had less than a 168 OPS+ he maxed at 49 SB and has a better than 5 -1 success rate. MVP top 5 every year with a few victories, ROY, and at 27 already has 69.6 WAR. The only negative thing is that he has seen post season once and hit .083,,, OPS was around .600 but only 1 appearance and nu joy. The Angels of this period remind me of the M's 0f the 90's. Trout is even better numbers wise than Jr. to this point. They add Ohtani who wasn't developed in their system was just a gift and they are still not looking like a contender. They do have the #4 ranked prospect so maybe they get in at some point.

:::

Post by ::: » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:06 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:47 am
Wow, I always thought Vargas was a mild mannered Lesbian.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball ... 1.32837155
:lol: beer came out my nose with that one

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm

What a waste of dough by the Sillies. Harper isn't even a 20 million dollar player, let alone 30 million. There's just something really wrong upstairs with him, it sure isn't ability considering a few years ago he actually whooshed past Trout as the game's best player.

Speaking of Trout, I have to agree with Hanjag. There has been zero regression and he's going to be at over 100 Wr by the time he hits 30. And yes, his career is getting wasted with the Angels.

Meanwhile, the Padres gave all that money to Machado and while he's not a 30 million dollar player either, at least they can count on him to be a very good player that it doesn't hurt much to overpay. And that's the thing, you know you're overpaying someone but the question is, does it hurt the franchise to overpay him? With Harper and the lofty expectations of their current team, yes. With Machado on a young team, no.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 am

Watching the Phillies broadcast. Apparently former MLB Catcher "Ben Davis" is their color analyst. He looks like a douche bag!! I used to think he was so cool, because we shared the same name. Welp, only way out if this is to be one the most famous Ben Davis of All-Time!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:00 am

he looks like a douche?...wow. Funny, when i think about the fat vs slim issue Ben Davis always comes to mind. From back when we traded for him, its like he seemed like such a stud, great shape, I remember thinking that...but he couldn't hit for shit! Give me Pablo Sandoval...lol

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Told you guys these two were totally overrated.
What if they held an All-Star Game and neither of baseball’s $300 million free agents was among the 64 players invited?

I’m serious.

Neither Phillies outfielder Bryce Harper nor Padres third baseman Manny Machado stands a chance of being an elected starter for the National League; both were eliminated in the primary round, the first of two phases of fan balloting.

Harper, batting .246 with 13 homers and a .821 OPS, appears unlikely to even be named a reserve. Machado has gotten hot in June, improving his numbers to .280 with 17 homers and an .858 OPS. He also is a better defender than Harper. But he, too, could miss out, considering that third base is a stacked position in the NL.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:52 am

I'd argue that Trout is as good as any legend ever. Since his 19 year old cup of tea time he has never had less than a 168 OPS+ he maxed at 49 SB and has a better than 5 -1 success rate. MVP top 5 every year with a few victories, ROY, and at 27 already has 69.6 WAR. The only negative thing is that he has seen post season once and hit .083,,, OPS was around .600 but only 1 appearance and nu joy. The Angels of this period remind me of the M's 0f the 90's. Trout is even better numbers wise than Jr. to this point. They add Ohtani who wasn't developed in their system was just a gift and they are still not looking like a contender. They do have the #4 ranked prospect so maybe they get in at some point.
The sad thing is that Jerry Dipoto is probably the biggest reason that the Angels have not been able to do anything in the Trout era. He had 4 drafts there and only 2 draft picks that he made have become MLB regulars. David Fletcher and Sean Newcomb who is a reliever for the Braves.

His 2012 Draft had 9 guys who had a cup of coffee and put up a combined -2.0 WAR in 102 MLB games.
His 2013 Draft had 4 guys who had a cup of coffee and put up a combined .5 WAR in 47 MLB games
His 2014 Draft had Newcomb who has a 3.5 Career WAR. The other 6 guys who saw big league time from that draft have a combined 0 WAR in 19 MLB games
His 2015 Draft had Fletcher with a 4.0 Career War. Only 2 other guys from that draft have seen the big leagues combining for a -.5 WAR in 57 MLB games.

4 Drafts and Dipoto produced a total of 5.5 WAR. This is the joker that we have in charge of our rebuild. :?

To Give a little Context, Jack Z's picks from those same 4 years have put up 31.6 Career WAR

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Seems M's ownership are suckers for good snake oil salesmen.......
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:43 pm
The sad thing is that Jerry Dipoto is probably the biggest reason that the Angels have not been able to do anything in the Trout era. He had 4 drafts there and only 2 draft picks that he made have become MLB regulars. David Fletcher and Sean Newcomb who is a reliever for the Braves.

His 2012 Draft had 9 guys who had a cup of coffee and put up a combined -2.0 WAR in 102 MLB games.
His 2013 Draft had 4 guys who had a cup of coffee and put up a combined .5 WAR in 47 MLB games
His 2014 Draft had Newcomb who has a 3.5 Career WAR. The other 6 guys who saw big league time from that draft have a combined 0 WAR in 19 MLB games
His 2015 Draft had Fletcher with a 4.0 Career War. Only 2 other guys from that draft have seen the big leagues combining for a -.5 WAR in 57 MLB games.

4 Drafts and Dipoto produced a total of 5.5 WAR. This is the joker that we have in charge of our rebuild. :?

To Give a little Context, Jack Z's picks from those same 4 years have put up 31.6 Career WAR
Hard to stick that on DiPoto, any GM would have to rely on his scouting department. Of course, there's also a tremendous amount of luck involved too.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:08 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:28 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Hard to stick that on DiPoto, any GM would have to rely on his scouting department. Of course, there's also a tremendous amount of luck involved too.
UMMM who do you think is responsible for hiring the scouting personnel.......