Poll: urban fauna

Which of these animals do you see more of where you live?

Crows
17%
Squirrels
26%
Rabbits/Hares
14%
Sparrows/small birds
20%
Racoons
3%
Opossums
3%
Pigeons
9%
Rats
3%
Other
6%

Total votes: 35

Jack Merridew

Re: Poll: urban fauna

Post by Jack Merridew » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:45 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:35 am
I noticed that too and it wasn't as gradual. I come up there twice a year and stay at my mom's at Lake Tapps. I used to see squirrels and raccoons in her back yard all the time and the squirrels would come up to you for peanuts. Five or so years ago they were suddenly all gone and I haven't seen one since.
Do you see any crows there?

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:11 pm

When I got home from school the other day i drove up my driveway got out of the car and noticed him about 20ft away just munching away
Attachments
This was Thursday afternoon
This was Thursday afternoon

:::

Post by ::: » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:46 pm

In North Edmonds, we see everything on that list on a regular basis except for pigeons. There's definitely been an explosion of rabbits starting about 2 years ago. Not surprisng, the coyotes soon followed. Here's the thing I can't understand though. We've been at our place going on 11 years. There's a small pond on our property. Normally, we have several nests of ducks throughout the spring and summer. This had been consistent for a decade. One year we had 3 very successful breeding pairs going on at the same time and there were 50 plus ducklings running around. Things plummeted last year. Instead of several nests with the first one usually showing up early spring, we only had one nest that didn't show up until June and it only produced 3 ducklings. This year nothing. Zip. Very strange. Don't have a clue as to why. A few adults that hatched here still drop by to say hello on a regular basis but no nests.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:46 pm
In North Edmonds, we see everything on that list on a regular basis except for pigeons. There's definitely been an explosion of rabbits starting about 2 years ago. Not surprisng, the coyotes soon followed. Here's the thing I can't understand though. We've been at our place going on 11 years. There's a small pond on our property. Normally, we have several nests of ducks throughout the spring and summer. This had been consistent for a decade. One year we had 3 very successful breeding pairs going on at the same time and there were 50 plus ducklings running around. Things plummeted last year. Instead of several nests with the first one usually showing up early spring, we only had one nest that didn't show up until June and it only produced 3 ducklings. This year nothing. Zip. Very strange. Don't have a clue as to why. A few adults that hatched here still drop by to say hello on a regular basis but no nests.
Perhaps depression around the M's rebuild has impacted reproduction. :(
dt

:::

Post by ::: » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Could be. It has certainly ruined my love life - I have taken a vow of chastity unil the M's make it to the post sason. :|

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:53 pm
Could be. It has certainly ruined my love life - I have taken a vow of chastity unil the M's make it to the post sason. :|
I can see your headstone: "Here lies Scratchiro, a man who didn't have sex his last 75 years."
DMM

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:23 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
You might as well become a priest then.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:58 pm
Scratchiro wrote:
I can see your headstone: "Here lies Scratchiro, a man who didn't have sex his last 75 years."
Here lies Scratchiro lmao. The rare Tombstone that describes the deceased sex life LMAO
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:20 am

As of last year, I've seen all of them except for rabbits. This year I've seen a rabbit. I've seen geese, but this year I haven't seen any in my neighborhood.

I had to clear away some brush and there was a dirt pathway. It rained and I saw some big paw tracks. There may be a cougar lurking around. This year I've seen more crows. I've seen sea gulls high in the air.

I used to see opossums, but haven't seen one this year. Maybe they're playing possum.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:13 am

I was reading some of these posts to my parents and wife on the drive back from looking at property in Cle Elum today. They couldn't fathom why we were discussing animals on an M's forum. They all concluded we were bored. lol
dt