D-train

Re: Minor League Updates

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 am

JK Triple shy of the cycle........
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:00 am

Fraley with a 3 run bomb! The kids are hot tonight!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:06 am

Even the pitchers are getting into it.
Mariners Minors

@MiLBMariners
3m3 minutes ago
More
Ian McKinney had a career game tonight.
7IP, 3H, 0R, BB, 13K, 103-71. Give him Pitcher of Week right now. #GoNuts
dt

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks DT, not the hero we deserved but the hero we needed.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 am

Then with a good game last night.

Another with a good night is this dude

Danny Chang in his 1st 4 pro games: 1.50ERA, 12IP, 7H, 3BB, 21K, .167 BAA

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2018/6/1 ... 0000-bonus

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:52 pm

was perusing Ohtani stuff just now...see where the Rays have three players in their system they are developing as two way players, the focus is more using them as relievers, which i had pointed out when Ohtani came along could be an interesting way to do it. Have a guy that could both play the field and close at the same time. Rays are an interesting club to follow
McKay, Cronenworth and Dodson are the faces of the club’s latest unconventional approach: taking advantage of the two-way player in an era when it’s never been more needed. Pitching staffs have expanded and bullpens have taken on a record number of innings, so, getting two players for the price of one roster spot should have more appeal. Other clubs have also followed the Ohtani experiment to a degree, but it’s the team that championed defensive shifts and the opener that is again at the forefront of asking what is possible.

“A lot of our thought process was having some humility that we don’t necessarily know enough to shove [them] into a box one way or the other,” said Chaim Bloom, vice president of baseball operations for the Rays. “Baseball is such a hard game that I think the number of players that are going to be able to have sufficient skill to do this is still going to be small. But we’ve seen over time in this business that sometimes it takes someone going out and doing it to expand people’s definitions of what might be possible. So we may see that happen here.”
“One of the biggest challenges that comes with this is not just managing in-game workload but structuring practice sufficiently,” Bloom said. “Giving the player enough of a chance to get better at everything he needs to improve at and keep him healthy: That’s something we spent a lot of time thinking about, and we’re learning as we go. We’ve already learned a lot.”

In college, Dodson would often play seven innings in center field before he was summoned to close out the game pitching the eighth and ninth innings. Last summer, in his first stint as a pro, he never pitched or hit in the same game. The Rays mapped out a schedule each week for him. “It was, honestly, a lot easier” than the college setup, Dodson said.

Dodson’s potential path as a reliever/position player — he is also a switch-hitter — could become a route to a more common two-way player: the ultimate utility man.

“Ohtani laid some groundwork, McKay laid some groundwork. I think I’m laying a little different ground work as a reliever,” Dodson said. “I think everything started as something nobody did.”
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... n-the-way/

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:52 pm
was perusing Ohtani stuff just now...see where the Rays have three players in their system they are developing as two way players, the focus is more using them as relievers, which i had pointed out when Ohtani came along could be an interesting way to do it. Have a guy that could both play the field and close at the same time. Rays are an interesting club to follow
McKay, Cronenworth and Dodson are the faces of the club’s latest unconventional approach: taking advantage of the two-way player in an era when it’s never been more needed. Pitching staffs have expanded and bullpens have taken on a record number of innings, so, getting two players for the price of one roster spot should have more appeal. Other clubs have also followed the Ohtani experiment to a degree, but it’s the team that championed defensive shifts and the opener that is again at the forefront of asking what is possible.

“A lot of our thought process was having some humility that we don’t necessarily know enough to shove [them] into a box one way or the other,” said Chaim Bloom, vice president of baseball operations for the Rays. “Baseball is such a hard game that I think the number of players that are going to be able to have sufficient skill to do this is still going to be small. But we’ve seen over time in this business that sometimes it takes someone going out and doing it to expand people’s definitions of what might be possible. So we may see that happen here.”
“One of the biggest challenges that comes with this is not just managing in-game workload but structuring practice sufficiently,” Bloom said. “Giving the player enough of a chance to get better at everything he needs to improve at and keep him healthy: That’s something we spent a lot of time thinking about, and we’re learning as we go. We’ve already learned a lot.”

In college, Dodson would often play seven innings in center field before he was summoned to close out the game pitching the eighth and ninth innings. Last summer, in his first stint as a pro, he never pitched or hit in the same game. The Rays mapped out a schedule each week for him. “It was, honestly, a lot easier” than the college setup, Dodson said.

Dodson’s potential path as a reliever/position player — he is also a switch-hitter — could become a route to a more common two-way player: the ultimate utility man.

“Ohtani laid some groundwork, McKay laid some groundwork. I think I’m laying a little different ground work as a reliever,” Dodson said. “I think everything started as something nobody did.”
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... n-the-way/
Ironic that the team with the worst fan base and facility in baseball has one of the best, if not the best FOs.

dt
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm

interesting too that when Friedman and Maddon got picked off it was like, well that's that, but they haven't missed a beat.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:45 pm

White name the Texas League player of the month:

https://twitter.com/ARTravs/status/1146505617391140866
dt