D Trains off season plan.
Re: D Trains off season plan.
For the most part, I like this plan. It was reasonable on paper and well thought out. Thanks, D-Train.
For my own plan I was trying to find a way to get Otto, but I gave up for a bunch of reasons. If we could pull it off, he might be the critical missing piece (plus a bunch of other small ones to boost the bullpen and depth).
The Marlins came close to the playoffs this year. I am guessing they would not trade away a proven player for a bunch of prospects. That’s not what they need. Their farm system is ranked #10 or so, and they have a decent starting rotation.
They need depth and they need bullpen arms. Would we be willing to part with Matt Brash? Plus Canzone? That leaves new huge holes for us to plug, but I am thinking that’s sort of deal that needs to happen. And maybe the M’s finally get splashy with free agency.
For my own plan I was trying to find a way to get Otto, but I gave up for a bunch of reasons. If we could pull it off, he might be the critical missing piece (plus a bunch of other small ones to boost the bullpen and depth).
The Marlins came close to the playoffs this year. I am guessing they would not trade away a proven player for a bunch of prospects. That’s not what they need. Their farm system is ranked #10 or so, and they have a decent starting rotation.
They need depth and they need bullpen arms. Would we be willing to part with Matt Brash? Plus Canzone? That leaves new huge holes for us to plug, but I am thinking that’s sort of deal that needs to happen. And maybe the M’s finally get splashy with free agency.
-
Donn Beach
- Posts: 21219
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am
Re: D Trains off season plan.
I know this stuff is fun, dreaming of poaching players, but come on. The Marlins aren't trading Otto Lopez. He's popular there, leads the majors in hits, All Star, Juan Soto calling him one of the best hitters in the game, El Ottomatic, they have three more seasons of control. How on earth are they selling it to their fans? Turn the trade around, if the Mariners had a breakout guy like Otto and traded him away over the off season you guys would go nuts. It has nothing to do with trying to find comparable value on a trade app
Last edited by Donn Beach on Wed Oct 07, 2026 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: D Trains off season plan.
Suzuki would be great but not sure why people keep ignoring what Stanton said about sign FAs in their 30s just last week. It isn't happening so why suggest it?AZOldDawg wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:59 pmI like it. Give up what we have to to get Lopez. We have to get more right handed no matter what. Maybe go with Suzuki. My guess is that Jerry will sit there with his thumb up his ass and watch things develop rather than do what the contenders do and "take what you have and make what you want".
dt
Re: D Trains off season plan.
The reason I am sure Otto won't happen is two fold. The Marlins will ask for the moon or as you said and what I brought up at the trade deadline, why would they move him. Also Jerry will look like an idiot for giving Colt that contract and then have to move him to 3B where I don't think his bat will play...Big_Maple wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 3:22 pmFor the most part, I like this plan. It was reasonable on paper and well thought out. Thanks, D-Train.
For my own plan I was trying to find a way to get Otto, but I gave up for a bunch of reasons. If we could pull it off, he might be the critical missing piece (plus a bunch of other small ones to boost the bullpen and depth).
The Marlins came close to the playoffs this year. I am guessing they would not trade away a proven player for a bunch of prospects. That’s not what they need. Their farm system is ranked #10 or so, and they have a decent starting rotation.
They need depth and they need bullpen arms. Would we be willing to part with Matt Brash? Plus Canzone? That leaves new huge holes for us to plug, but I am thinking that’s sort of deal that needs to happen. And maybe the M’s finally get splashy with free agency.
btw Otto Lopez spelled backwards is Otto Zepol lol
dt
Re: D Trains off season plan.
If they could pull it off, I think we’d have a marquee SS for a long time. Move the rest of the infield around him.D-train wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 3:48 pmThe reason I am sure Otto won't happen is two fold. The Marlins will ask for the moon or as you said and what I brought up at the trade deadline, why would they move him. Also Jerry will look like an idiot for giving Colt that contract and then have to move him to 3B where I don't think his bat will play...Big_Maple wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 3:22 pmFor the most part, I like this plan. It was reasonable on paper and well thought out. Thanks, D-Train.
For my own plan I was trying to find a way to get Otto, but I gave up for a bunch of reasons. If we could pull it off, he might be the critical missing piece (plus a bunch of other small ones to boost the bullpen and depth).
The Marlins came close to the playoffs this year. I am guessing they would not trade away a proven player for a bunch of prospects. That’s not what they need. Their farm system is ranked #10 or so, and they have a decent starting rotation.
They need depth and they need bullpen arms. Would we be willing to part with Matt Brash? Plus Canzone? That leaves new huge holes for us to plug, but I am thinking that’s sort of deal that needs to happen. And maybe the M’s finally get splashy with free agency.
btw Otto Lopez spelled backwards is Otto Zepol lol
But the Marlins don’t have to move him, and they would wind up getting a huge haul if they did. Even with their frugal front office they can likely get creative with free agents and boost their depth and bullpen.
Do they have someone to backfill his position if he’s traded? If not, seems almost certain they will keep him.
I love palindromes. Madam, I’m Adam.
Last edited by Big_Maple on Wed Oct 07, 2026 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Donn Beach
- Posts: 21219
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am
Re: D Trains off season plan.
the Red Sox went after Lopez at the deadline, the Marlins asked for Franklin Arias. Want to trade for him, offer them Montez, they might do it
Re: D Trains off season plan.
Yes, Otto Lopez has definitively become a fan favorite for the Miami Marlins. Nicknamed "Ottomatic," he won over South Florida crowds following a massive, unexpected breakout year during the 2026 MLB season.
Despite being relatively unheralded and previously designated for assignment twice early in his career, Lopez blossomed into a cornerstone player for Miami. He has captured the hearts of fans through a mix of elite statistical achievements and pure hustle:
• Chants of "MVP": By mid-summer, fans at loanDepot park regularly serenaded Lopez with "MVP" chants during his high-leverage plate appearances.
• The Hits Leader: He became an absolute hitting machine, leading all of Major League Baseball with 191 total hits and flirting with the National League batting title right up until the final weekend of the season, finishing with a superb .305 batting average.
dt
Re: D Trains off season plan.
I love AI.
I know a lot of people think it is going to turn in to Hal but I have zero fears of that.
What exactly is the fear? Only way I can think it can harm people is access their funds and confiscate them. wtf am I missing.
I know a lot of people think it is going to turn in to Hal but I have zero fears of that.
What exactly is the fear? Only way I can think it can harm people is access their funds and confiscate them. wtf am I missing.
dt
-
Donn Beach
- Posts: 21219
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am
Re: D Trains off season plan.
You know systems have already been caught communicating with each other in ways that are incomprehensible to humans. Come on, its only a matter of time before they get to the realization they are working for a bunch of idiots lol.
But yeah, so far its been great, i had to down size my search for a little while, use an old phone. It was amazing, i was helpless. It hadn't sunk in how dependent i had already become
Re: D Trains off season plan.
Sure but it can never commit physical violence unless it some how takes over a robot???
dt