Stone on the step back

bpj

Re: Stone on the step back

Post by bpj » Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:39 pm
Current position player WAR and comments:

Daniel Vogelbach 1.6 Glad we didn't dump him
2 Omar Narvaez 1.3 Great trade by JD. Colome is have a decent season but on 0.3 WAR at 14x the salary
3 Edwin Encarnacion 1.3 Most valuable 1B in the AL at the moment
4 Mitch Haniger 1.1 Disappointing with the average but still on pace for a pretty good season
5 Dee Gordon 0.5 Please trade him
6 Tim Beckham 0.5 A speed bump could have played better D.
7 Tom Murphy 0.3 Nice pickup by JD
8 Jay Bruce 0.3 I have seen enough. Just DFA him
9 Dylan Moore 0.1 Outside of his inning from hell he has been solid. Good long term UT solution
10 J.P. Crawford 0.1 If he hadn't suddenly forgot how to take a walk he would be having a good start. Still not terrible.
11 Shed Long 5 -0.1 Not ready for prime time obviously
12 Ryon Healy -0.1 Has everyone had enough yet???
13 Domingo Santana -0.2 The honeymoon is over. Ben Gamel is at 0.7 WAR :?
14 Braden Bishop -0.3 INC.
15 Mallex Smith -0.9 Puke on every level
Agreed for the most part, just have a couple differing opinions.

Braden Bishop, Mallex Smith and Dylan Moore will never be part of this.

Jay Bruce is our only MLB option in RF at the moment, considering Santana in Left and Haniger needs to move to CF because we don't have another capable CF who won't bomb with the bat. If Bruce can't be traded he should be in RF daily. Those other guys and their .800 AAA OPS's will never be MLB bats, why even put on the act of ML seasoning? So their .800 AAA OPS can translate to .700 at ML level? No thanks.

Just let Bruce play, at least he's putting runs on the board and playing fine D. And, not getting negative WAR.
Last edited by bpj on Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri May 24, 2019 6:27 pm

My opinion of Healy is that his bat could make a fine 3B, but will never be good enough to be a serviceable 1B.

In my opinion, his MLB future all depends if he can put the defense together at 3B.

That's not to say the Mariners won't put him at 1B, they will. He's just not good enough to be there. But, that's their M.O., putting players whose bats don't translate to the position in said position, so it's surely in their plans.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 24, 2019 6:36 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:39 pm
Current position player WAR and comments:

Daniel Vogelbach 1.6 Glad we didn't dump him
2 Omar Narvaez 1.3 Great trade by JD. Colome is have a decent season but on 0.3 WAR at 14x the salary
3 Edwin Encarnacion 1.3 Most valuable 1B in the AL at the moment
4 Mitch Haniger 1.1 Disappointing with the average but still on pace for a pretty good season
5 Dee Gordon 0.5 Please trade him
6 Tim Beckham 0.5 A speed bump could have played better D.
7 Tom Murphy 0.3 Nice pickup by JD
8 Jay Bruce 0.3 I have seen enough. Just DFA him
9 Dylan Moore 0.1 Outside of his inning from hell he has been solid. Good long term UT solution
10 J.P. Crawford 0.1 If he hadn't suddenly forgot how to take a walk he would be having a good start. Still not terrible.
11 Shed Long 5 -0.1 Not ready for prime time obviously
12 Ryon Healy -0.1 Has everyone had enough yet???
13 Domingo Santana -0.2 The honeymoon is over. Ben Gamel is at 0.7 WAR :?
14 Braden Bishop -0.3 INC.
15 Mallex Smith -0.9 Puke on every level
Agreed for the most part, just have a couple differing opinions.

Braden Bishop, Mallex Smith and Dylan Moore will never be part of this.

Jay Bruce is our only MLB option in RF at the moment, considering Santana in Left and Haniger needs to move to CF because we don't have another capable CF who won't bomb with the bat. If Bruce can't be traded he should be in RF daily. Those other guys and their .800 AAA OPS's will never be MLB bats, why even put on the act of ML seasoning? So their .800 AAA OPS can translate to .700 at ML level? No thanks.

Just let Bruce play, at least he's putting runs on the board and playing fine D. And, not getting negative WAR.
I think Bishop can be a 4th OFer/defensive replacement. I would rather him getting ML experience in CF than having Bruce in RF for absolutely no reason. Smith is horrid so we don't differ at all there, Moore has a .701 OPS and plays pretty good SS, not sure what you are expecting from a UT.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Fri May 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Amazing how quick Healy fell to earth. He had a good start going there. My pick to click for Bruce didn’t turn good either. Just send him packing at this point

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 24, 2019 7:29 pm

The Astroknott wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:01 pm
Amazing how quick Healy fell to earth. He had a good start going there. My pick to click for Bruce didn’t turn good either. Just send him packing at this point
Yep, Healy started well last season also, then pitchers remember that he will swing at anything. My Bruce ST HR call cursed him. :?
dt

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Domingo Santana is too good of a hitter to give up on. He looks a little bit "wall eyed" and I wonder if that hurts him in the OF..?
Get him all the coaching help possible with his defense and hang on to this guy for at least a fresh start next season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 pm
Domingo Santana is too good of a hitter to give up on. He looks a little bit "wall eyed" and I wonder if that hurts him in the OF..?
Get him all the coaching help possible with his defense and hang on to this guy for at least a fresh start next season.
The absolutely bizarre thing is that while he was never great defensively, this year is a major horrid aberration so I would definitely agree regarding hanging on to him during this difficult time.

UZR 150
2017 -5.7
2018 +10
2019 -33.6

I wonder if it has occurred to the idiots that he is more comfortable in RF and that they should move him back their especially when Mitch is in CF.
dt

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Santana... more competition for the DH position.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm
Moe Gibbs wrote:
The absolutely bizarre thing is that while he was never great defensively, this year is a major horrid aberration so I would definitely agree regarding hanging on to him during this difficult time.

UZR 150
2017 -5.7
2018 +10
2019 -33.6

I wonder if it has occurred to the idiots that he is more comfortable in RF and that they should move him back their especially when Mitch is in CF.
That's exactly what I think about Santana. He's a RF becoming a LF. They say he can play CF.. whatever, but I do think we've seen the bottom defensively on all of these guys really.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm
Moe Gibbs wrote:

UZR 150
2017 -5.7
2018 +10
2019 -33.6

That's exactly what I think about Santana. He's a RF becoming a LF. They say he can play CF.. whatever, but I do think we've seen the bottom defensively on all of these guys really.
I can understand his discomfort. Imagine if you or I had to move to the left. :)
dt