M's fans are the antithesis of a tough crowd

D-train

Re: M's fans are the antithesis of a tough crowd

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 4:02 am

Good assessment. He has definitely made some mind numbing moves or lack thereof but the biggest issue I have is that I just don't think he has the presence a leader of men needs to have.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 26, 2019 4:49 am

This is starting to remind me of those years when all the talk was about the "big three" and how the Mariners were going to have this killer rotation. Regarding this latest crop of prospects, i'll believe it when i see it. Until then, Jerry's a toady charlatan.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 am

D-train wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:02 am
Good assessment. He has definitely made some mind numbing moves or lack thereof but the biggest issue I have is that I just don't think he has the presence a leader of men needs to have.
I dont think the modern manager is the Lou type (as much as we'd like it to be).

In my opinion a manager these days is as much friend, psychiatrist and Mommy as he is baseball manager. He has to keep the mindset right on these guys with huge egos, which somehow I think they have actually done even amidst their slide from first to last.

Even their problem defense isn't all that much of a problem- already.

The media will beat that horse for awhile, but the bad defense nonsense talk will be forgotten by years end. A distant memory because the last one left is Santana and he's a young slugger whose defense will improve, so, moot point.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 2:55 pm

bpj wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 am
D-train wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:02 am
I dont think the modern manager is the Lou type (as much as we'd like it to be).

In my opinion a manager these days is as much friend, psychiatrist and Mommy as he is baseball manager. He has to keep the mindset right on these guys with huge egos, which somehow I think they have actually done even amidst their slide from first to last.

Even their problem defense isn't all that much of a problem- already.

The media will beat that horse for awhile, but the bad defense nonsense talk will be forgotten by years end. A distant memory because the last one left is Santana and he's a young slugger whose defense will improve, so, moot point.
He doesn't need to be a Lou but look at Joe Maddon, Bruce Bochy and closer to home, PC and Chris Peterson and Mike Hopkins. Very different dudes (though PC and Hopkins are somewhat similar). The all have the "it" factor which SS is completely void of.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun May 26, 2019 2:59 pm

True, you won't catch me arguing in favor of Servais unless he makes drastic changes.

I am reserved to the fact that Dipoto and Servais likely leave at the same time.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 26, 2019 3:16 pm

i read a thing on SS awhile ago, it mentioned how because of there being a camera on him constantly he makes it a point not to express the emotion its its trying to capture, SS goes about managing baseball like a poker player, not trying to show tells. I do not think is entirely unique to him among managers. And not to defend him or that aspect of baseball but I do think its a stretch to compare how a manager goes about managing to football.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:16 pm
i read a thing on SS awhile ago, it mentioned how because of there being a camera on him constantly he makes it a point not to express the emotion its its trying to capture, SS goes about managing baseball like a poker player, not trying to show tells. I do not think is entirely unique to him among managers. And not to defend him or that aspect of baseball but I do think its a stretch to compare how a manager goes about managing to football.
I am more referring to him in the pressers. Maybe he is different when speaking to the team in private but I doubt it. Peterson and Don James is and was pretty chill on the sideline but command respect.
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun May 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
He's not clever enough to project a "camera image".... just as you are not clever enough to project something other than.... "mush head". :!: Is that you Bounty?

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Sun May 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
That constant asinine grin is a tell. It tells me he is an ass.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:36 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
I am more referring to him in the pressers. Maybe he is different when speaking to the team in private but I doubt it. Peterson and Don James is and was pretty chill on the sideline but command respect.
to me its really about analytics, the point of which is to take the emotion out of baseball, that is what Dipoto and SS are after, break everything down to the underlying numbers. That also sucks a lot of the fun out of it, whether it will work or not with this team we shall see...