Rest in peace Bill Buckner

D-train

Re: Rest in peace Bill Buckner

Post by D-train » Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:02 am
22 seasons and racked up 15 WAR, that is getting everything out of your God given talent i guess...
Really an odd player. Didn't walk, didn't K, not much power, wasn't fast, corner OFer and INFer that didn't play good D. All he did was hit for average.

Basically a player that was far more highly valued before sabermetrics. Dave Kingman had higher career WAR. Mark Belanger had almost DOUBLE the career WAR.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:16 am

You know what's surprisingly been forgotten in Buckner'a career? His bonehead baserunning error in Game 5 of the 1974 World Series. Trailing 3-2 he led off the 8th inning with a base hit and after Bill North kicked the ball away he decided to try for three and got nailed. It was a close play but he broke the Cardinal Rule at the wrong time. Anyway, the As won by that score and the series. Thankfully everyone forgot that one, because he was a good player who shouldn't be defined by a couple goof-ups...although it is what Leon Lett is defined by.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu May 30, 2019 4:37 am

D-train wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:02 am
22 seasons and racked up 15 WAR, that is getting everything out of your God given talent i guess...
Really an odd player. Didn't walk, didn't K, not much power, wasn't fast, corner OFer and INFer that didn't play good D. All he did was hit for average.

Basically a player that was far more highly valued before sabermetrics. Dave Kingman had higher career WAR. Mark Belanger had almost DOUBLE the career WAR.
From looking at his defensive stats at Baseball Reference the other day, it appeared that he was a decent outfielder and mediocre 1st baseman. I think there main stat was "defensive runs saved above average" and he was always above average as an OF.