Re: Tankathon is on!

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:37 pm

Good morning Jim!
dt

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Is it morning already?

Agree with AT that the college pitcher route is futile. The entire problem with the rebuild is JD and ownership (once again) did not commit to a true rebuild. All they did was grab a few decent prospects to keep fans interested, and then try to build a competitive roster as soon as possible. I mean it was called a step back for that reason, thus the focus on (hopefully almost) MLB ready college arms.

So what we have this and presumably next season is a shakedown cruise to identify the MLB ready players we already have and then start adding FA pieces around them. Pretty much agree with DT's assessment of the quality players we have. Really need to hit the lottery with Kellenic, JRod, and some of the arms if we hope to have a nucleus to build around. The we'll see how good JD is at persuading quality FAs to come be part of his bright future.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:59 pm

Rocker and Leiter would have both been picked likely in the 1st round of it weren't for signability. Maybe sexymariner can come in and give us more context about where these to college players were projected out of HS.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:06 pm

They pretty much took it down to the studs other than trading Seager or Haniger. The former because of he was untradeable after his shitty 2018 season and poison pill in his contract and the latter because he was under control through the target years. Both made sense especially since we had zero options at 3B.

The rebuild is on track given the new big three in the minors, two of which have been lights out and the third expected to be. Not going to take a miracle for JK and JRod to both rock and we are also going to get a top 5 pick next June most likely.

Two possible mistakes are signing KK and White before they stepped foot on an MLB field. But both can be overcome given our massive available payroll in 2022.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:59 pm
Rocker and Leiter would have both been picked likely in the 1st round of it weren't for signability. Maybe sexymariner can come in and give us more context about where these to college players were projected out of HS.
Just posted that Rocker was ranked 23rd.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:08 pm

I don't think we will have to worry about it because I don't see us have the 1st or 2nd pick. I like House.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Our committed payroll for 2022 is just over $20M for KK, Marco and White. Add about $30M for minumum salary and arb guys and we are looking at having well over $100M to spend on FAs.
dt

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:06 pm
They pretty much took it down to the studs other than trading Seager or Haniger. The former because of he was untradeable after his shitty 2018 season and poison pill in his contract and the latter because he was under control through the target years. Both made sense especially since we had zero options at 3B.

The rebuild is on track given the new big three in the minors, two of which have been lights out and the third expected to be. Not going to take a miracle for JK and JRod to both rock and we are also going to get a top 5 pick next June most likely.

Two possible mistakes are signing KK and White before they stepped foot on an MLB field. But both can be overcome given our massive available payroll in 2022.
Well I am specifically speaking to the drafting of college pitchers which shows they are forcing a time frame on the rebuild. My point is the best rebuilds just continue to draft the best young talent period. I mean what was it under JackZ that we had the top rated farm system, 2012? Ownership said "that's it" and went to building the team from there; Ackley, the "Big 3" etc.

Point is the one constant has been Big Ugly John Stanton and he panics when he sees the potential for a 40 win season. The best rebuilds (sorry, but you have to point to the Astros) grow organically and endure a lot of hardship. The Ms just do not have the stomach for that. Does not mean the "step back" can't work but they are limiting their chances in my opinion.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Yes, you sure were right about Stanton (btw how did you come up with that awesome nickname? LOL) as his slashing of the scouting dept. proved.

They have scored with the college pitchers so I can't complain about that at all. Two of the Astros best players were college guys. Bregman and Springer.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:32 pm

No guarantees it will work but we are on track imo.
dt