OT - Kentucky Oaks/Derby

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: OT - Kentucky Oaks/Derby

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Why didn't the rider of War of Will lodge an objection since that was the horse that was most directly impeded by Maximum Security's course change? Are those horses under the same ownership?

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 pm

Sibelius wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:41 pm
Why didn't the rider of War of Will lodge an objection since that was the horse that was most directly impeded by Maximum Security's course change? Are those horses under the same ownership?
I don't know, but here's a theory. Once an objection has been lodged, then they are going to review the sequence of events, so there is no need for a second objection.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 pm

I don't know about that. After all there were two objections lodged. It probably depends on how much communication there is between the officials and the trainers/managers.

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 pm

The DQ was the correct call, too bad. Maximum Security spooked away from the rail and was lucky he didn't drop a couple of other horses. No bad guys here, just bad luck. Feel sorry for Saez who's really a good guy. He was trying to keep the horse straight but Max had different ideas.

On another note I ran into Kirk Herbstreit and told him I was a Husky. Seriously, he looked straight at me and said "I LOVE the Huskies." I just laughed and said "I know you do." Really he was a very nice guy, which I have heard from others.

Hope everyone enjoyed the Derby thread. I'll do one for the Preakness next week. Already lots of rumors and posturing. Should be fun.

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sun May 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Last edited by Freespeech on Sun May 05, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Freespeech wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 pm
The DQ was the correct call, too bad. Maximum Security spooked away from the rail and was lucky he didn't drop a couple of other horses. No bad guys here, just bad luck. Feel sorry for Saez who's really a good guy. He was trying to keep the horse straight but Max had different ideas.
Yes, it was a good call. Do you know why the jockey for War of Will didn't lodge a complaint. He could have been killed out there.

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Sibelius wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 pm
Freespeech wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 pm
Yes, it was a good call. Do you know why the jockey for War of Will didn't lodge a complaint. He could have been killed out there.
No I haven't heard anything. The one negative is the stewards should have declared and inquiry and not left it up to the riders to file an objection. Generally speaking riders don't like to claim foul and would rather the stewards be proactive. That also shows that the riders did not feel it was intentional. If they thought he was trying to drop them they would have been more upset. Once the objection was lodged they knew there would be a full review so no point piling on. Just a guess but from what I heard the other riders really felt bad for Luis and even though it's the Derby you really don't want to get someone DQ'd.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon May 06, 2019 12:45 am

Thanks - that makes total sense. I read that Maximum Security's hind legs struck War of Will and it could have really been a horrific scene of carnage if he (or is it a she?) had gone down. But then they tried to attribute the horse veering away from the rail to crowd noise. That one didn't make sense to me.

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Mon May 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Sibelius wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:45 am
Thanks - that makes total sense. I read that Maximum Security's hind legs struck War of Will and it could have really been a horrific scene of carnage if he (or is it a she?) had gone down. But then they tried to attribute the horse veering away from the rail to crowd noise. That one didn't make sense to me.
The theory now is he shied from the reflection of the lights on the sloppy wet track. We actually had that happen to a horse a few years ago.

Another fun side story, the assistant trainer of Country House is a good friend and he told us to meet at this dive bar for a beer. When we walked in he had the garland of roses that go over the horse on the bar. Pretty cool. If I can ever figure out how to post photos I'll put it here.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 pm

But with the prior horse smell of that garland of roses there should have been maximum security in that country house. Okay, that was a stretch... get it, home stretch. There's more where those came from. :D

Freespeech... to post photos go to the bottom and click on the "Attachments" tab.
DMM