The disappointing famrhands, poll.

Which prospect's poor performance has you the most anxious about the rebuild?

Justus Sheffield, (preseason M's #1 and top 100 unanimous) 5.91 ERA, or recent surge in AA including a no-no into the 6th.
46%
Kyle Lewis (M's top 10, former top 100, and top 3 of his draft class) Bad injuries have impacted development and he has been high and low.
46%
Swanson Top 100 type? My ass, another overhyped Yankee fodder.
8%
Gerson Bautista, 100 MPH vs 9 walks in 12 innings
No votes
Braden Bishop, Had a chance to play MLB level and get regular ABs but got injured.
No votes

Total votes: 13

DavidGee24

Re: The disappointing famrhands, poll.

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm going with Sheffield. Yes, he's had a couple good starts in AA, but considering that he was supposedly the top Yankee pitching prospect, being a complete train wreck in AAA is really alarming. There's just no excuse for that, he should have be dominating AAA. Period.

Lewis? That ship sailed long ago, he's just like a lot of first-round draft picks who simply didn't have it. Just about every franchise has a long list of those. Swanson? He projects at best to be a back-end starter so no real expectations for him. Bishop? Same thing, projects as someone who at best might get in a few seasons at the major league level. And Bautista? He's had almost no success above A level, and I don't for the life of me get how anyone would consider him a prospect. When you're that bad, how can you expect a magical light to suddenly turn on?

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Sheff has had 4 great starts in AA. His walk rate has gone from 6.7 to 1.7. WHIP has gone from 1.82 to .78

I am feeling 1000x better about him than I did a month ago.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:04 am
Swanson has never been close to being a top 100 prospect, he has always projected as a 4-5 starter, wasn't even in the Yanks top 30 was he
top 30. yes

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:31 pm
It's got to be Sheffield. When you trade a starting pitcher like Paxton you have to get back an elite prospect, and it would appear the Mariners didn't.
+1

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:26 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:11 pm
I'm going with Sheffield. Yes, he's had a couple good starts in AA, but considering that he was supposedly the top Yankee pitching prospect, being a complete train wreck in AAA is really alarming. There's just no excuse for that, he should have be dominating AAA. Period.

Lewis? That ship sailed long ago, he's just like a lot of first-round draft picks who simply didn't have it. Just about every franchise has a long list of those. Swanson? He projects at best to be a back-end starter so no real expectations for him. Bishop? Same thing, projects as someone who at best might get in a few seasons at the major league level. And Bautista? He's had almost no success above A level, and I don't for the life of me get how anyone would consider him a prospect. When you're that bad, how can you expect a magical light to suddenly turn on?
You see many prospects hit the lights all the time. Haniger worked on launch angle. Altavilla, foot placement. Randy Johnson had a conversation with Nolan Ryan. Lights on.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:26 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:11 pm

You see many prospects hit the lights all the time. Haniger worked on launch angle. Altavilla, foot placement. Randy Johnson had a conversation with Nolan Ryan. Lights on.
But none of those guys were terrible in the minor leagues like Bautista is.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:51 pm

Throw Bautista into the Thyago Vieira and Arquimedes Caminero scrap heap of hard throwers that can't pitch.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:51 pm
Throw Bautista into the Thyago Vieira and Arquimedes Caminero scrap heap of hard throwers that can't pitch.
I never expected much from him, so it's hard to say I was disappointed.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:58 pm

It's got to be Sheffield. When you trade a starting pitcher like Paxton you have to get back an elite prospect, and it would appear the Mariners didn't.
Hey, it's a trade with the Yankees. We almost always get skunked on those...
DMM

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:58 pm
Hey, it's a trade with the Yankees. We almost always get skunked on those...
And it always rains in Seattle and the moon is made of cheese...........
dt