Promotion for HP Ump Robots

D-train

Re: Promotion for HP Ump Robots

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 pm

Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:11 pm
I also think pitch framing is a weird unsportsmanlike phenomena....
Do you think this is similar to playing the shift?

I hate shifts, but I am not sure I think they are unsportsmanlike. Here's an interesting article from last year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... e-changes/

And then again, I kind of feel that, like, if your only job - one for which you get paid $4M a year - is to hit a baseball where the players ain't, surely to god you can pull the batting coach aside and ask how you can stop fucking pulling the baseball.
I love offense but I have zero issues with the shift. It is absurd to me to force guys to play where it is less likely the ball will be hit to them. It would be like telling basketball players they can only guard post players at the 3 point line or 3 point shooting guards in the paint. Hit it where they ain't!

Pitch framing is different because it involves deception, essentially slight of hand. Its not some steroid use like transgression but pitchers shouldn't be rewarded for throwing balls because the ump is impressed with how smooth the catcher is.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 pm
Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:
I also think pitch framing is a weird unsportsmanlike phenomena....

I hate shifts, but I am not sure I think they are unsportsmanlike. Here's an interesting article from last year:

And then again, I kind of feel that, like, if your only job - one for which you get paid $4M a year - is to hit a baseball where the players ain't, surely to god you can pull the batting coach aside and ask how you can stop fucking pulling the baseball.
I love offense but I have zero issues with the shift. It is absurd to me to force guys to play where it is less likely the ball will be hit to them. It would be like telling basketball players they can only guard post players at the 3 point line or 3 point shooting guards in the paint. Hit it where they ain't!

Pitch framing is different because it involves deception, essentially slight of hand. Its not some steroid use like transgression but pitchers shouldn't be rewarded for throwing balls because the ump is impressed with how smooth the catcher is.
I hate pitch framing because it punishes players with a good eye at times. The shift only punishes players because of the holes in their games
Last edited by Juliooooo on Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:36 pm
D-train wrote:
Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:

I hate pitch facing because it punishes players with a good eye at times. The shift only punishes players because of the holes in their games
Great Points!!
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 pm

Get rid of the high strike zone and scores will go up, SO's go down, and the game will be more interesting.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 am

Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:

I hate pitch framing because it punishes players with a good eye at times. The shift only punishes players because of the holes in their games
The opposite is true as well, where pitchers throw strikes and they are called balls no matter how great the pitch framing is. Even with instant replay some calls are missed. Robo umps are not flawless. Instead of a garbage can, the Astros will somehow hack the cameras and robo umps to gain an advantage and no one will be the wiser. Or better yet, a gambling syndicate hacks into the robos and changes the parameters of a strike so that they make tons of cash.

And those are just the criminal things that could happen. Batters will learn what the exact strike zone is, so no more flailing at the slider that breaks a foot....or the splitter in the dirt that the hitter lunges at to make the final out of an inning. The pitcher will have to be within the strike zone for every pitch because that robo ump will punish you otherwise. Batters will learn anything not straight just let it go because it will probably drift outside the strike zone. Game times will increase because every pitch will have to be perfect.

I like instant replay but I hate the idea of robo umps.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:15 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 am
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

The opposite is true as well, where pitchers throw strikes and they are called balls no matter how great the pitch framing is. Even with instant replay some calls are missed. Robo umps are not flawless. Instead of a garbage can, the Astros will somehow hack the cameras and robo umps to gain an advantage and no one will be the wiser. Or better yet, a gambling syndicate hacks into the robos and changes the parameters of a strike so that they make tons of cash.

And those are just the criminal things that could happen. Batters will learn what the exact strike zone is, so no more flailing at the slider that breaks a foot....or the splitter in the dirt that the hitter lunges at to make the final out of an inning. The pitcher will have to be within the strike zone for every pitch because that robo ump will punish you otherwise. Batters will learn anything not straight just let it go because it will probably drift outside the strike zone. Game times will increase because every pitch will have to be perfect.

I like instant replay but I hate the idea of robo umps.
I couldn't disagree more with pretty much any of that....
dt