The forum's poll for 2022 and why?

How content / discontent are you with the team as is to start the season? Select all that apply.

Ownership did all they could with the options they had.
No votes
Ownership sucks and they continue to be cheap bastards.
17%
Jerry Dipoto did the best he could under the circumstances.
10%
Jerry Dipoto is incompetent.
No votes
I believe that top free agents do not want to come to Seattle.
17%
I like the team as it is and would not have made any other moves.
No votes
I like the team but would have added at least one more infield bat.
14%
I like the team but would have added at least one more outfield bat.
7%
I like the team but would have added at least another reliever.
12%
I like the team but would have added at least another TOR pitcher.
22%

Total votes: 69

desbcoach

Re: The forum's poll for 2022 and why?

Post by desbcoach » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:29 pm

Interesting article from LL on this subject
https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2022/3/2 ... evor-story

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 pm
:lol: Sure, although now after further thought (and re-reading the wording) i think both might be true. Jerry did the best he could and is incompetent.
:lol: Select all that apply.

p.s. there are only 10 choices maximum in the poll creator.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:13 pm

I selected 5 of the available options.

Ownership sucks and they continue to be cheap bastards
Ownership and Jerry told us that we would have to withstand the pain of a rebuild, but that when the team was ready to compete, the money would be there to fill the holes and make us legitimate contenders. Well thus far, they’ve flat out lied to us. I like the Ray signing, but we’ve sat back and watched all the big bats be snapped up by teams actually trying to win. Granted there were question marks and concerns with all the big bat free agents out there, but sometimes you just have to roll the dice, and after 20 years of futility, that time should have been now. They could have flipped Saurez or traded Crawford and signed a Correa or Bryant.

I believe that top free agents do not want to come to Seattle
I think this is largely true for the most part. We have a 20-year track record of losing, although everyone knows this team is on the cusp of being really good with the right additions. But I think a bigger reason hitters don’t want to come here is the park factor, particularly for power hitters. They know that in the cavernous T-Mobile park and combined with the marine air in the spring and fall, that their numbers are going to take a hit, which will obviously have an adverse affect going into their next contract. If I was a legitimate power hitter who makes my living hitting home runs, Seattle is probably the last place I’m going to consider. In order to attract those types of hitters, we have to overpay to have any chance of attracting them.

I like the team but would have added at least one more infield bat
Again, they could have flipped Saurez (who’s a big question mark), or traded Crawford and signed a Correa or Bryant, IF they were willing to come here.

I like the team but would have added at least one more outfield bat
We have a lot of question marks in the outfield. Is Lewis going to be healthy enough to play regularly. Is JK going to build on his September last year. How much will Haniger play the field (where he’s a liability) vs DH? When will JRod be ready and will he struggle early similar to JK.

I like the team but would have added at least another TOR pitcher
JD has been vocal about wanting another top half of the rotation starter. Let’s hope he’s still working the phone lines on that one. Montas and Manaea are still out there for the picking and we have the assets available to make it happen. I guess the obvious question is, would the A’s be open to trading either of them to a division rival. What I definitely don't want is for the M's to pick up a back of the rotation "innings eater". That's obviously not going to help put us over the top. That's what losing teams do (which is probably what we will end up doing).

Bottom line, while I love the Ray and Winker deals, I feel like JD and the M’s ownership group has not fulfilled their promises to their long-suffering fans of doing whatever it takes to win, and we deserve better. If this is our final roster going into the regular season, it’s not enough to make us legitimate contenders which they’ve wanted us all to believe. Maybe they’re just waiting for the stars to come to them “with hat in hand” because we’ve been such a great organization all those years and everyone is dying to play for us.

Once again, as a loyal and diehard fan of this team from their inception, I feel cheated and lied to. I'm just hoping they're not done. JD does like to keep everything close to the vest.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:06 pm

Wow Gary that was an awesome post. Thanks for that!
IF we did get by some chance do get one of those A's starters which one is better?
I'd be willing to go with our starters if we can't get another decent arm should he decide to pad the bullpen.
I personally believe you can never have enough relievers especially those situational pitchers like Sadler.
He had his role for us and that needs to be replaced.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:29 pm
Read the article. Interesting theory. But is it Dipoto then that is the problem or ownership not giving him the flexiblity of a contract? If it's Dipoto and he's cursed...someone get in there quick and do a exorcism.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:48 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 pm
desbcoach wrote:
Read the article. Interesting theory. But is it Dipoto then that is the problem or ownership not giving him the flexiblity of a contract? If it's Dipoto and he's cursed...someone get in there quick and do a exorcism.
I think it would be the outcome of a big contract given out with poor performance followed and then unable to spend more money down the road. Ownership is only willing to spend so much whereas the team like the Dodgers or Yankees just eat bad contracts.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:57 am

I think Jerry had every intention of signing multiple free agent bats. Unfortunately I think convincing a right handed power hitter to come play at T-Mobile may be one of the hardest sells in sports. It's easy to say "The M's could have afforded to sign all of these guys for the number they ended up getting but that doesnt mean any of them would have been willing to come here. I think that Jerry ran into road blocks on every hitter he tried to deal with and that's why they went the trade route.
Personally I would have rather had a diferent roster than the one we ended up with but I dont necessarily dislike what we ended up with. They added 3 All stars and another former all star that you can basically pencil in for 30+ homeruns. I think they are good enough to make the playoffs as is and they are well positioned to supplement things at the deadline.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:01 am

desbcoach wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:48 pm
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 pm
desbcoach wrote:
I think it would be the outcome of a big contract given out with poor performance followed and then unable to spend more money down the road. Ownership is only willing to spend so much whereas the team like the Dodgers or Yankees just eat bad contracts.
I completely agree with your take.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:09 am

Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:06 pm
Wow Gary that was an awesome post. Thanks for that!
IF we did get by some chance do get one of those A's starters which one is better?
I'd be willing to go with our starters if we can't get another decent arm should he decide to pad the bullpen.
I personally believe you can never have enough relievers especially those situational pitchers like Sadler.
He had his role for us and that needs to be replaced.
Thanks daBronx.

Between the two of Montas and Manaea, Montas is significantly better, TOR caliber. I'm reading the Yankees and Twins are in on him, among others. Nothing about the Mariners thus far.

Sadler was great for us last year and he will be missed. But we're adding Giles and Munoz to what we had last year, so I think we'll be fine there. However, we could still use a situational lefty.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:03 am

Honestly I think Stanton and the ownership love the rebuild. They can push the expectations off abs don’t have to spend, just have to sign a bit to tease the base.

Hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see them signing any big checks. It’s about the profit margin.