Re: Felix's last stand

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:49 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:08 pm
I think what he is saying is this is his last year as a Mariner, whether he can catch on with another club remains to be seen, and that would depend on pitching well the rest of the season
Yep, last stand as in last chance to prove himself. If Custer hadn't lost the last battle he would have had another stand.
ok, "hanging it up" to me means retiring, Custer wasn't interested in retiring, i doubt Felix is either
Exactly. What I will be curious about is if another team even offers a minor league deal even he doesn't at least have a sub 5.00 ERA for the rest of the season.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:12 pm

yeah, it would seem unlikely...who is on the sideline currently? The thing about Felix to me is, as i read him. I think he would love to get picked up by another team where he could rub it in the eye of the Mariners that he still could pitch, but on the other hand I don't see him signing a low dollar prove it contract. He is not Ichiro, I don't see him hanging around for the love of the game, we shall see

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:12 pm
yeah, it would seem unlikely...who is on the sideline currently? The thing about Felix to me is, as i read him. I think he would love to get picked up by another team where he could rub it in the eye of the Mariners that he still could pitch, but on the other hand I don't see him signing a low dollar prove it contract. He is not Ichiro, I don't see him hanging around for the love of the game, we shall see
Its not like they M's haven't given him a dozen chances. Not sure he has any reason to be upset with them.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Felix.

I just don't see him being a winner on a consistent basis. The umps might give him a night of calling 90% of the pitches on the black his way and he looks ok. I just don't see him with the mental focus to not throw up gopher balls when the umps pinch the zone on him.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Felix' biggest problem has always been between his ears.

Too stupid or stubborn to adjust his game right up to the end.

He needed to become more Maddux, less Randy about 5 years ago. Instead he bought in to the K! K! K! Kings Court nonsense while his fastball lost 5mph.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:24 pm

I disagree with the notion that Felix has struggled because he refused to adjust. He tried to adjust. He simply doesn't posses the the necessary tools to be a successful pitcher with a 89 MPH fastball. Felix has never been a guy with pinpoint control. He dominated with a plus fastball and wipeout changeup. You can't just make a mental commitment to changing your style and all of the sudden be able to hit your spots like Greg Maddux. You either have that ability or you don't.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:24 pm
I disagree with the notion that Felix has struggled because he refused to adjust. He tried to adjust. He simply doesn't posses the the necessary tools to be a successful pitcher with a 89 MPH fastball. Felix has never been a guy with pinpoint control. He dominated with a plus fastball and wipeout changeup. You can't just make a mental commitment to changing your style and all of the sudden be able to hit your spots like Greg Maddux. You either have that ability or you don't.
I agree. Not many players, especially righties, are successful pitching in the high 80s. Mike Leake is pretty much the ceiling, and he has 4 pitches and excellent command.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
I agree. Not many players, especially righties, are successful pitching in the high 80s. Mike Leake is pretty much the ceiling, and he has 4 pitches and excellent command.
I always had a good laugh at the suggestion that they just need to bring Jamie Moyer in to teach him how to pitch. Maybe they should have brought in Prince Fielder to teach Ichiro how to hit HRs once he lost his speed.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
I always had a good laugh at the suggestion that they just need to bring Jamie Moyer in to teach him how to pitch. Maybe they should have brought in Prince Fielder to teach Ichiro how to hit HRs once he lost his speed.
"Oh, just pitch like Greg Maddox"

"Really? It's that simple huh, great!"
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Felix is a compressed study in aging... a lifetime in 33 years.
DMM