Batting averages of our five new players

D-train

Re: Batting averages of our five new players

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:17 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:52 pm
I think they meant that they could find any DHs with .300 batting averages that would play for free.
Exactly. It is just another way to spin being cheap and spending minimum wage into being wise and cutting edge and having deep heart felt concern about the health of their players. Amazing they didn't care about that health when they played Cal almost every day last season with a F-d up thumb.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:17 pm
Exactly. It is just another way to spin being cheap and spending minimum wage into being wise and cutting edge and having deep heart felt concern about the health of their players. Amazing they didn't care about that health when they played Cal almost every day last season with a F-d up thumb.
Well, I sort of like to think that JD sits up in his office playing MLB The Show on his PS5 all day.

In Franchise mode, he selected the "Force Trades" option, and somehow, deliriously believes this is how things work in the real world.

As such, he shit a wooden nickel when the Yankees rejected his trade offer of Abraham Toro for Aaron Judge and Gerritt Cole.

That buggered up his offseason master plan, and he never recovered.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Miguel Sano is a free agent. He struggled in 20 games last season and was placed on the IL for the remaining 140ish games.

In '21 he dropped a .778 OPS.

Hard to believe he would be worse than the shit heap we're dragging out there right now.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:48 pm
I love when the ass kissing water carriers say, THEY COULDN'T SIGN A DH THAT CAN HIT, IT DOESN'T ALIGN WITH THEIR ROSTER CONSTRUCTION PHILOSPHY!!

So if they decided to have 26 pitchers on the roster would they say, we can't acquire any position players because every player needs to be able to pitch well enough to get major league hitters out!!!
Agreed, not everybody has to be able to play the field.

That's exactly what the DH spot is for :idea: .

When the DH needs a night off, put a bench player in. It's not rocket science.

If a position player needs a day off? How about give them one...

Management looks at "rest" as a good thing. Every player I've ever known worth his salt didn't want a night off. Baseball isn't a very hard sport on a player physically. Not sure how that's even in question these days.

Their job is 10x easier than being a janitor, or gas station attendant. It's pathetic to hear them even talk about needing days of rest regularly when they play two hour games five times a week where they stand around for 75% of that time.

And it's not like they're even using DH to get guys a day off. They're just rotating their bench guys through DH right now. La Stella and Hummel?? Pfffffffft.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:47 pm

Also wondering how long they can leave Brian O'Keefe in Tacoma.

Seems to me he'd be a better option as a backup catcher than the space Hummel is taking up + he could DH on occasion. He has a 1.235 OPS with 5 homers and 4 doubles in 11 games.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:31 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:47 pm
Also wondering how long they can leave Brian O'Keefe in Tacoma.

Seems to me he'd be a better option as a backup catcher than the space Hummel is taking up + he could DH on occasion. He has a 1.235 OPS with 5 homers and 4 doubles in 11 games.
Oh no, they can't send the guy they traded their ROY 1st round pick for to AAA. That would cast a shadow on our exulted Grand leader of Baseball operations.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:00 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:52 pm
I think they meant that they could find any DHs with .300 batting averages that would play for free.
Nelson Cruz signed for only $280,000 more than we're paying La Stella.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:54 am

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:15 am

Bargain bin. Saving money. Making profit.

That is what Stanton believes in.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:19 am

I don't know about you guys, but I'd be pretty happy about now if they had moved Ty France to Util or 2B and added Matt Olson or Freddie Freeman when they were available.