Ford and Locklear

Seattle or Bust

Re: Ford and Locklear

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 04, 2024 4:48 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 4:28 pm
What's that? See if he gets a job or heads back to the minors. He couldn't get one when teams were filling rosters before the season started. The Reds are on your list and they released him
. The Cincinnati Reds offense has been struggling of late. Last night they had two hits and both of them belonged to Elly De La Cruz, who seems to be the only player on the club who has been hitting for the last few weeks.

Nick Martini, who homered twice on Opening Day, got out to a quick start in the three games in March. Since the calendar flipped over to April he’s hit .147/.164/.221 with one walk and 21 strikeouts.

Bubba Thompson has hit so poorly that he’s made Martini’s line look good.
But no room for Ford
The Reds are morons.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 4:54 pm

Like I said, rosters are set, I didn't say everyone was playing great. If there's an injury that could make an opening. But generally speaking, I doubt a team releases a guy this early in the season to make room for Ford. They have already passed on Ford.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 04, 2024 5:00 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 4:54 pm
Like I said, rosters are set, I didn't say everyone was playing great. If there's an injury that could make an opening. But generally speaking, I doubt a team releases a guy this early in the season to make room for Ford. They have already passed on Ford.
Wtf does that even mean?

Rosters are never "set."

The Mariners' roster was quit literally not "set" when they called up Ford last season after he did the same thing. The roster was not set when Wong and Pollock hung -2 WAR between them in the first 2 months.

The Reds are morons. Another team will likely give him a shot.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 pm

Excuse me, that's later in the season. I'm saying teams set there rosters coming out of spring training. Generally they will stick to it the first two months, go with their decisions. I don't see Ford viewed as a hot item, he was passed over before the season began. We'll see what teams think of him now.

It's interesting the marlins and Padres making roster decisions this early, it's unusual

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 5:09 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
What's that? See if he gets a job or heads back to the minors. He couldn't get one when teams were filling rosters before the season started. The Reds are on your list and they released him
. The Cincinnati Reds offense has been struggling of late. Last night they had two hits and both of them belonged to Elly De La Cruz, who seems to be the only player on the club who has been hitting for the last few weeks.

Nick Martini, who homered twice on Opening Day, got out to a quick start in the three games in March. Since the calendar flipped over to April he’s hit .147/.164/.221 with one walk and 21 strikeouts.

But no room for Ford
DH WAR right? Isn't that they only possibility?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 5:11 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 pm
Excuse me, that's later in the season. I'm saying teams set there rosters coming out of spring training. Generally they will stick to it the first two months, go with their decisions. I don't see Ford viewed as a hot item, he was passed over before the season began. We'll see what teams think of him now.

It's interesting the marlins and Padres making roster decisions this early, it's unusual
Did you know the Pads just traded for Arraez only May 3rd even though their roster was set???
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 5:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:09 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

But no room for Ford
DH WAR right? Isn't that they only possibility?
Yeah, I figured that but decided not to guess, and Seattle or bust rips me for minimal posts lol. All 30 teams passed on Ford as a dh, seemed a bit surprising. He's putting up good minor league numbers but he did then too. See what happens now. Again, I think he was hoping to pressure the Reds to call him up

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 04, 2024 5:16 pm

Donn Beach wrote:

The Marlins are 9-25. There's no recovering from that. They don't have the talent.

They weren't going to extend him and he's a free agent in '26. Get rid of him while he still has some trade value. He provides no value for a team that knows it's not making the playoffs. He's particularly less valuable for a team that operates on a budget when he's going to be due around $10 million next year in his final year of arbitration. You have to wonder if they were shopping him in the off season... likely were.

In cutting its losses... Miami got 3x top 15 prospects in the Padres system back and cut payroll.

Seems smart to me.
Last edited by Seattle or Bust on Sat May 04, 2024 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 5:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:11 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Did you know the Pads just traded for Arraez only May 3rd even though their roster was set???
Yeah, it's right there in the post. I also pointed out before the padres would have been a possibility before they made the trade since Machado is moving back to first base.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 5:20 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:16 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

The Marlins are 9-25. There's no recovering from that. They don't have the talent.

They weren't going to extend him and he's a free agent in '26. Get rid of him while he still has some trade value. He provides no value for a team that knows it's not making the playoffs. He's particularly less value for a team that operates on a budget when he's going to be due around $10 million next year in his final year of arbitration. You have to wonder if they were shopping him in the off season... likely were.

In cutting its losses... Miami got 3x top 15 prospects in the Padres system back and cut payroll.

Seems smart to me.
I didn't say it wasn't smart, I said unusual. How many May trades can you list.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Sat May 04, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.