Kyle Tucker trade

GL_Storm

Re: Kyle Tucker trade

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:09 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:27 pm
Yeah I just don't see that getting it done.

There's no way Tucker's value is that low given the Soto trades over the past few years.
I think Houston would be smart to make that deal, though maybe they could get a little sweetener on top, like a Michael Arroyo or a Tyler Gough. But it would be easier if they were outside the division.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:23 pm

I started thinking about trading Miller more in the context of a Luis Robert deal. More broadly, if you're willing to trade Miller, who is out there that is comparable to a Robert or Tucker that you could get at the deadline or in the offseason? Obviously, the offseason opens up a lot more possibilities.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:33 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:23 pm
I started thinking about trading Miller more in the context of a Luis Robert deal. More broadly, if you're willing to trade Miller, who is out there that is comparable to a Robert or Tucker that you could get at the deadline or in the offseason? Obviously, the offseason opens up a lot more possibilities.
Yes. I agree with your logic.

That said, might we want to get aggressive this season rather than wait till the offseason? Our division is the weakest it’s been in a long, long time. We’re not a great team, but we are on top of the AL West. The A’ are a wash. The Angels are a joke. The Stros and Rangers could surge, but right now we look like the best of a bad lot. We should go for broke, right frigging now. A solid rental or two could spark us the the finish - we could win the division this year if we are smart about it.

That said, I don’t want to rob Peter to pay Paul. Miller and Woo are integral parts of our current success (one could argue that pitching is the reason we are where we are). Trading one of them screws us now, and continues to screw is down the road.

The only trades I would like would include prospects, and some position players that we’d be willing to get rid of, even if it meant eating salary (e.g. Haniger).

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:35 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Robert is a homeless man's Kyle Tucker. I would obviously trade Miller for Tucker but no chance for Robert. It is June 17th and Robert has 4 singles and 31Ks in 77 PAs.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:38 pm

I have to think that the Astros believe they have a solid shot at the Division title. We are less than 1/2 way through the season. Is there any basis for a trade for Tucker being a possibility? Other than off-day speculation, I mean. :)

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:50 pm

gil wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:38 pm
I have to think that the Astros believe they have a solid shot at the Division title. We are less than 1/2 way through the season. Is there any basis for a trade for Tucker being a possibility? Other than off-day speculation, I mean. :)
Really? If we just go 47-41 and finish with 90 wins they would need to go 57-34 just to tie. They aren't out of it yet but if in a month they are still about 9 back they will be. At that point if we go 32-26 they would have to go 42-19 just to tie. No chance.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:54 pm

:!:
Big_Maple wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:33 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Yes. I agree with your logic.

That said, might we want to get aggressive this season rather than wait till the offseason? Our division is the weakest it’s been in a long, long time. We’re not a great team, but we are on top of the AL West. The A’ are a wash. The Angels are a joke. The Stros and Rangers could surge, but right now we look like the best of a bad lot. We should go for broke, right frigging now. A solid rental or two could spark us the the finish - we could win the division this year if we are smart about it.

That said, I don’t want to rob Peter to pay Paul. Miller and Woo are integral parts of our current success (one could argue that pitching is the reason we are where we are). Trading one of them screws us now, and continues to screw is down the road.

The only trades I would like would include prospects, and some position players that we’d be willing to get rid of, even if it meant eating salary (e.g. Haniger).

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:55 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:09 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:27 pm
Yeah I just don't see that getting it done.

There's no way Tucker's value is that low given the Soto trades over the past few years.
I think Houston would be smart to make that deal, though maybe they could get a little sweetener on top, like a Michael Arroyo or a Tyler Gough. But it would be easier if they were outside the division.
The M's are in a unique situation to trade MLB starting pitching... it's what puts them in the best position to land Tucker... especially if the Astros feel like they can compete following a down year... but people are not considering the AL West tax that would come with trading for Tucker.

The MLBTV valuation falls well short considering what it would likely take for the Astros to move him to the M's.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:11 pm

Why wouldn't the Astros have to pay more for our prospects or SP. Why does the Tax only apply to us and not them? If a team is out of it and wants to rebuild then they should not care if it is within a division. The team sending prospects is FAR less likely to want to be destroyed by their former prospect for YEARS than the team selling a player with limited control, even a very good one.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:18 pm

gil wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:38 pm
I don't know how or why they would think that.

I'm not sure how you expect to go on the runs it would take to win the division given the current pitching production from their 2-5 starters. Brown and Arrigheti are going to lose you 2 out of every 5 games. Verlander and Valdez aren't pitching close to their usual dominance. If Ronel Blanco regresses at all, which he might... it's all over but the crying.

They simply do not have the farm to be competitive enough to acquire the pitching needed to replace their 4 and 5 starters.

Like... you can get a Lucas Giolito type like the Angels did last year... but you're gutting an already bad farm for someone who likely isn't much of a difference maker.

Ky Bush, who the Angels traded, is currently 5-2 with a 1.78 ERA in AA. He's likely going to debut next year and you let him go for 3 months of a shitty pitcher when your team just didn't have it.
Last edited by Seattle or Bust on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.