Jerry's interview with Brock and Salk

AZOldDawg

Re: Jerry's interview with Brock and Salk

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:39 pm

My take is that was Jerry’s chickenshit way of saying they’re asking for too much in return. Duh. They have the leverage

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:39 pm

My take is that was Jerry’s chickenshit way of saying they’re asking for too much in return. Duh. They have the leverage

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:02 am

AZOldDawg wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:39 pm
Exactly! Who gives a shit how highly ranked our farm system is? The only stat that matters in the end is who walks away with the World Championship. Except Jerry doesn’t think so, and worries he will trade a prospect who will become a star elsewhere, and would rather stick with having the best starting rotation in MLB offset by having half the lineup below the Mendoza line. But if the end result is winning 54% and missing the playoffs Jerry and Co will consider the season a success

OLdvanDawg

Post by OLdvanDawg » Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:50 pm

If the M’s lose two more to the Angels, SS needs be the next one out the door. And take the rest of his coaching staff with him. How many of the years the M’s missed the playoffs by a few games can be blamed on him for bad coaching?

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:11 am

Can the whole city of Seattle just pack up & go. Players, fans, coaches. Bunch of wimpy pussies if you ask me. And they have the nerve to call East Coasters insensitive assholes. At least their honest. Quit being a pussy an man the fuck up.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:41 am

We don't have enough holes on the roster to worry about the farm system for the next few years imo.

Fill the 3-4 spots we need (1B/3B/DH/RF) with mashers and we have a completely full roster anyways.

Not saying they couldn't improve elsewhere, but wtf do we even need a farm system for in the next three years?

Trade some off and put a real team on the field.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:00 pm

I found this yesterday. Pretty funny.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:00 pm
I found this yesterday. Pretty funny.
Crazy.

Jerry said several times over the last few years that he had the resources available.

In my opinion, he tried just as hard to keep payroll low as he did trying to get good players.

He had the resources available, he just chose to get cute and go for inexpensive players who were good-not-great. Garver at 2/$24 is his biggest offensive addition in the 9 years he's been here. That's pathetic.

And that's after being forced out in a power struggle in Anaheim where the owner had to go around him to sign big players (and yes, Moreno made bad picks).

Not sure how people are under the impression that ownership lowered payroll on Jerry. Especially before this year. It was all Dipoto's choosing imo.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:48 am

Drafting and developing is the beginning of a rebuild. But I guess the Astros and Rangers just drafted and developed their way to those AL Crowns?

That said? I do think ownership hamstring him some. But? I also agree with BPJ and DT who have mentioned that Jerry probably has some kind of a profit sharing incentive. He seems all to over joyed to point out how they don't spend.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:01 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:48 am
Drafting and developing is the beginning of a rebuild. But I guess the Astros and Rangers just drafted and developed their way to those AL Crowns?

That said? I do think ownership hamstring him some. But? I also agree with BPJ and DT who have mentioned that Jerry probably has some kind of a profit sharing incentive. He seems all to over joyed to point out how they don't spend.
On the Astros, you have Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker, and Bregman that are all home grown, and I think several of the pitchers as well. Verlander was an acquisition. For the Rangers, I'd have to dig into their roster some but obviously signing Semien and Seager was key.