Tradability of our top five prospects

GL_Storm

Re: Tradability of our top five prospects

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:05 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:50 pm
Where do you get the information on Dawal Joseph's hitting?
His stats in the DSL, mainly. But there was a brief writeup of him on the Fangraphs Mariner's prospects list: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/seattle-mar ... ects-2024/

Here's the writeup.

11. Dawel Joseph, SS
Signed: International Signing Period, 2024 from Dominican Republic (SEA)
Age 17.1 Height 5′ 10″ Weight 170 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40+

Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
20/45 40/50 20/45 70/70 40/50 60

Joseph was identified as a $3 million-plus bonus international player very early in the process and ultimately signed for $3.3 million. As signing day approached this January and I circled back with scouts for thoughts on how players had changed since the time of their verbal agreements, Joseph’s reports had backed up. As he’s gotten underway in the DSL, scouts who’ve seen the Mariners’ group there in preparation for the deadline have expressed similar sentiments about his hit tool. Joseph swings hard for his age but with imprecision. Initially seen as one of the fastest players in the class, he has already begun to fill out to the point where that’s no longer true. Joseph is playing shortstop in the DSL, though there were scouts on the amateur side who thought he might be a better fit in center field. He deserves time to get his feet under him before his FV grade slides, which he will if he keeps striking out at a 30% clip in the DSL. While I feel free to take a patient and/or Bayesian approach to how I have Joseph lined up here, I don’t expect he’d be the target of a team talking trade with Seattle this month.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:00 am

Oh I see you just go to the same stat sites, for some reason wasn't thinking DSL league wouldn't be included.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:20 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:00 am
Oh I see you just go to the same stat sites, for some reason wasn't thinking DSL league wouldn't be included.
Go to mlb top prospects and you can also look at their last 10 and last 30 games.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:25 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:55 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:33 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:32 pm
Felnin Celesten gets injured just getting out of bed in the morning so he's at the top of my list to trade.

And by the way, Dawel Joseph, the big international signing from this last signing period, can't hit at all. He's in rookie ball in the DSL, which is basically high school level, and he has no clue what to do with the bat. This has to be one of the biggest misses ever from this organization. So with Celesten basically unable to play for more than a few weeks at a time, and Joseph evidently not understanding that hitting is part of the game, that's two years in a row of misses with your top international signing.
They can afford it with the giant hit in Julio. Although nothing seems to be going right with anybody.
I guess that's one way to look at it. I mean, I think with Celesten it's just sort of unfortunate that he keeps getting injured but at least it doesn't seem to be a miss in terms of talent evaluation. It's bad luck, but it wasn't a mistake, or it doesn't seem like it was. But I don't get the miss on Dawel Joseph. I know they have limited views of these guys but they must have had some notion of the player's strengths and weaknesses.
I never thought that highly of Dawel, nor thought that the M's held him in the same regard as Felnin or Julio. So I wouldn't consider it as miss as much as this is the best prospect that we were able to sign pen to paper.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:15 pm

dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:46 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:25 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

They can afford it with the giant hit in Julio. Although nothing seems to be going right with anybody.
I guess that's one way to look at it. I mean, I think with Celesten it's just sort of unfortunate that he keeps getting injured but at least it doesn't seem to be a miss in terms of talent evaluation. It's bad luck, but it wasn't a mistake, or it doesn't seem like it was. But I don't get the miss on Dawel Joseph. I know they have limited views of these guys but they must have had some notion of the player's strengths and weaknesses.
I never thought that highly of Dawel, nor thought that the M's held him in the same regard as Felnin or Julio. So I wouldn't consider it as miss as much as this is the best prospect that we were able to sign pen to paper.
They thought enough of him to give him $3 mil

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:35 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:25 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

But one thing you can do in that case, with the international guys, is you can choose to spread the money around more and sort of raise the floor of that year's class.