Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

bpj

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm

Hard to justify even thinking of paying Marco $12M in 2024 isn't it? Hopefully they can find takers for both Marco and Flexen.

I think Hunter Renfroe, Kolten Wong and Christian Walker would be good targets to exchange for Flexen and/or Marco, won't surprise me at all. They're the guys that stick out like a sore thumb that fit our needs, especially Renfroe/Wong.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm
Hard to justify even thinking of paying Marco $12M in 2024 isn't it? Hopefully they can find takers for both Marco and Flexen.

I think Hunter Renfroe, Kolten Wong and Christian Walker would be good targets to exchange for Flexen and/or Marco, won't surprise me at all. They're the guys that stick out like a sore thumb that fit our needs, especially Renfroe/Wong.
Yep, and yep.

Likely going to have to toss in a few top 10/20 prospects to get a deal for either of those 2 guys though - especially Marco. Who's going to want to give up anything of value for a bottom of rotation guy whose fastball sits at 88 mph and who is losing control of the corners and who's on the tail end of a contract that pays out the most money?

I mean, yeah - he still has value, especially for teams who just need a rental while they rebuild. But the M's would have to eat some of the contract and toss in a few highly coveted prospects to make it happen. But if we could get it done and get a decent bat in return, let's do it. These guys won't be much help to us in the next 2 years.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:14 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 pm
bpj wrote:

Yep, and yep.

Likely going to have to toss in a few top 10/20 prospects to get a deal for either of those 2 guys though - especially Marco. Who's going to want to give up anything of value for a bottom of rotation guy whose fastball sits at 88 mph and who is losing control of the corners and who's on the tail end of a contract that pays out the most money?

I mean, yeah - he still has value, especially for teams who just need a rental while they rebuild. But the M's would have to eat some of the contract and toss in a few highly coveted prospects to make it happen. But if we could get it done and get a decent bat in return, let's do it. These guys won't be much help to us in the next 2 years.
All true, yeah.

But the Brewers have historically been pretty conservative in terms of payroll.

In my opinion they may look at it like they have someone to replace Renfroe internally, so they could get two years of an innings eater in Marco for a net $7.5M (he's due $18.5M over two years, Renfroe is expected to get ~$11M in arbitration for 2023).

Some bloggers have talked of Renfroe even being non-tendered. I don't think they expect much in return to begin with.

Same goes for Wong really, not a ton of excess value on his contract and they have internal options to replace him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:18 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:14 pm
Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 pm
bpj wrote:

Yep, and yep.

All true, yeah.

But the Brewers have historically been pretty conservative in terms of payroll.

In my opinion they may look at it like they have someone to replace Renfroe internally, so they could get two years of an innings eater in Marco for a net $7.5M (he's due $18.5M over two years, Renfroe is expected to get ~$11M in arbitration for 2023).

Some bloggers have talked of Renfroe even being non-tendered. I don't think they expect much in return to begin with.

Same goes for Wong really, not a ton of excess value on his contract and they have internal options to replace him.
Did you see they just picked up his option?
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:19 pm

bpj wrote:
Which is weird considering they just exercised their club option on him. Maybe they are bringing him back specifically as trade bait...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/349 ... -wong-2023

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:19 pm

Whoops! D-Train beat me to it!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:20 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:19 pm
You didn't know the D-Train is a bullet Train? :)
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:20 pm
Big_Maple wrote:
You didn't know the D-Train is a bullet Train? :)
If you did this for a living, would it be your gravy train?

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:26 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
bpj wrote:
Which is weird considering they just exercised their club option on him. Maybe they are bringing him back specifically as trade bait...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/349 ... -wong-2023
I think it's pretty universally accepted that Wong is at least worth his $10M. If they decide not to keep him, they wouldn't have trouble finding a trade partner for him. Same could be said for Flexen at $8M, even if I wouldn't expect much in return for him.

Which is why I think Wong for Flexen would make a nice swap.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:28 pm

ice99 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:09 pm
I wouldn't choose TMobile if I were Bogaerts. He has the best chance of the FA shortstops to get 3000 career hits.
He almost certainly won't get to 3,000 hits. He's at 10 years service time with 1,410 hits and going into his age 30 season. Getting to 3,000 hits would mean staying healthy and effective into his early 40's, probably age 42 or something like that.