Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Pfaadt Gilbert GT

Donn Beach

Re: Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Pfaadt Gilbert GT

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:21 am

So to review, we’ve got a last-place park for runs and general offense, where triples and extra-base hits are an extreme rarity relative to the rest of the league. Specifically, while ground balls and fly balls turn out about as well as average for MLB in T-Mobile Park, the best type of contact - line drives - fares far worse in Seattle than anywhere else, both from a standpoint of turning into extra-base hits and even turning into hits at all. Seattle has built a roster relatively successfully around that fact, with a pitching staff that had the highest fly ball rate in MLB last year and one of the lowest walk rates, letting contact in play largely putter out.
But that wouldn't matter to a pitcher because of park adjustment. How about hitters, they could adjust their numbers too couldn't they?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:27 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:21 am
So to review, we’ve got a last-place park for runs and general offense, where triples and extra-base hits are an extreme rarity relative to the rest of the league. Specifically, while ground balls and fly balls turn out about as well as average for MLB in T-Mobile Park, the best type of contact - line drives - fares far worse in Seattle than anywhere else, both from a standpoint of turning into extra-base hits and even turning into hits at all. Seattle has built a roster relatively successfully around that fact, with a pitching staff that had the highest fly ball rate in MLB last year and one of the lowest walk rates, letting contact in play largely putter out.
But that wouldn't matter to a pitcher because of park adjustment. How about hitters, they could adjust their numbers too couldn't they?
Yeah from a sheer enjoyment and pride perspective players like to have better numbers but I would think our pitchers would rather sacrifice their non adjusted stats a bit for more wins and perhaps even a WS appearance. I mean does it really matter to a pitcher if he has a 3.34 ERA vs a 3.07 ERA on the season if he had great run support, more wins and is pitching in a WS? Strikeouts would be the same regardless of ballpark until there are significant Batters eye disparities.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:01 pm

AZOldDawg asked for a reason a pitcher would want to stay in seattle. That they like pitching at T-mobile could be a reason. Terms of actually staying I would assume money would be what's important. I really don't see the mariners making a big effort to keep the pitching staff together past a new contract. I believe the strategy would be developing replacements

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:01 pm
AZOldDawg asked for a reason a pitcher would want to stay in seattle. That they like pitching at T-mobile could be a reason. Terms of actually staying I would assume money would be what's important. I really don't see the mariners making a big effort to keep the pitching staff together past a new contract. I believe the strategy would be developing replacements
Absolutely. Gilbert would have been extended by now. I guess Kirby is still a possibility but unless Boras drops dead and Cal goes with another agent he is hitting FA. Especially after his comments at the end of last season and then getting compared to JK kicking the cooler and having to apologize.
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:48 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:37 am
It was pitching performance I was getting at. Generally speaking, don't mariner pitchers perform better at T-mobile than other stadiums? That being a reason to consider staying. That positive impact on performance
Anyone who matters uses park adjusted stats so the only people that care about this are fans still looking at 1980s baseball card stats.
Come on. It's about winning the ring. What's our record in that department

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:56 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:39 pm
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
It was pitching performance I was getting at. Generally speaking, don't mariner pitchers perform better at T-mobile than other stadiums? That being a reason to consider staying. That positive impact on performance
Anyone who matters uses park adjusted stats so the only people that care about this are fans still looking at 1980s baseball card stats.
Come on. It's about winning the ring. What's our record in that department
Let’s be really real, it is about the money to player where he goes and to owner in most cases. Most owner however look at winning a championship as making more money as compared to our dumbshit owners

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:10 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:56 pm

Let’s be really real, it is about the money to player where he goes and to owner in most cases. Most owner however look at winning a championship as making more money as compared to our dumbshit owners
I partly agree with this. I actually think our owners have some very crafty bean-counters who run all kinds of stats and simulations and then generate a cost/benefit analysis. On the benefits side of the ledger they have the $ coming in from a winning season, a pennant and even a world series. The costs would be how much we'd have to pay to lure a few superstar FA to Seattle to make it happen.

Ray Davis bought the Rangers in 2010 for $593M. Last year, their revenue was $425 M, and the team's value soared to $2.4B. Not bad.

Stanton bought the M's in 2016 for $1.2B. Last year, their revenue was $396 M, and the team's value was $2.2B.

The M's ownership may have been the most profitable by some metrics, but if you look at the big picture, they aren't incentivized to spend lavishly - it would narrow the profit margin gap relative to the amount of extra money they might make in ticket sales.

Either way, their bottom line is not about giving fans a championship - it's about profits. If a World Series did earn them more money than not, they might go out and buy a few Juan Sotos. They would likely need to spend $50-100M more to get over that hump (it gets them close to what competitive teams are spending on players).

https://www.forbes.com/teams/seattle-ma ... 62b9697715

https://www.forbes.com/teams/texas-rang ... 5050647da9

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Still though, the players don't like the stigma around hitting here. It doesn't feel good to look up at the big board and seeing .220/.705 and then literally every player on the other team is .250/.750+ but your wRC+ is the same.

They've gotta figure something out with the stadium. Give it Mickey Mouse dimensions... paint the batter's eye red... make the infield and outfield grass as short and fast as possible.

Do something...

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:46 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:40 am
AZOldDawg wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:24 am
It bothers me that there appear to be no consequences for poor performance. One of the reasons I, being old school, miss Lou. Bring up Locklear and find a real back up catcher. We have the pitching to compete for the ring but have a minor league offense. Jerry and Stanton need to be held accountable. Why would any of our pitchers want to remain in Seattle given our offense?
How about them giving every at bat to Raley over Clase the last week? Raley has an OPS under .500... Not that Clase was lighting the world on fire, but he had some timely hits.

Re: the stadium.

30 miles down the road the Rainiers are averaging 6 runs a game at home. It's an outdoor stadium in rain and 50 degree temps. It is within 5 miles in pretty much every direction of the puget sound and dreaded marine layers.

Bottom line is Dipoto can't scout offense for shit and the players are head cases.
Are you serious with this garbage? Tacoma has different dimensions and the team plays in Salt Lake, Albuquerque, Reno and Las Vegas.
It's been 28 games

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:10 pm

Cheney:

Left field: 325 ft (99 m) Center field: 425 ft (130 m) Right field: 325 ft (99 m)

T mobile:

Left Field – 331 ft (101 m) Center Field – 401 ft (122 m) Right Field – 326 ft (99 m)
dt