End this 4 Game Losing Streak Sunday Game Thread

Donn Beach

Re: End this 4 Game Losing Streak Sunday Game Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 27, 2024 3:29 pm

That's the old school attitude, new school is
Highest wRC+ on team; Very high OBP; Best overall batter on the team; Must be consistent and balanced
At this point it's not relevant, he's batting sixth

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon May 27, 2024 3:33 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 3:29 pm
That's the old school attitude, new school is
Highest wRC+ on team; Very high OBP; Best overall batter on the team; Must be consistent and balanced
At this point it's not relevant, he's batting sixth
You really do not watch the games do you? He hit 3rd yesterday... you've often given me the vibes of the "I don't actually watch, but I'm going to chime in anyway" guy. So that makes sense.

And I read the article... so I don't know why you're repeating what the article says when I'm making a case for the opposite of what the article says given that Julio clearly struggles hitting in the 2 hole.

That's my whole point... sometimes analytics do not account for the human element of sports.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon May 27, 2024 3:46 pm

And considering offense around baseball is at its absolute worst place since the 1970's...

Perhaps teams shouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broken.

If you tried to hit Griffey, ARod, or Bonds 2nd... they might have killed the manager. Those offenses were plenty productive, no?
Last edited by Seattle or Bust on Mon May 27, 2024 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 27, 2024 3:47 pm

I don't watch the games. He was moved again in the lineup, okay. I didn't say you didn't read the article. The article lists both the old school and new school approach. Bat control us listed under old school.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon May 27, 2024 3:48 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 3:47 pm
I don't watch the games. He was moved again in the lineup, okay. I didn't say you didn't read the article. The article lists both the old school and new school approach. Bat control us listed under old school.
Well, perhaps you fucking should.

It's really an insane thing to chime in as some sort of an expert when all you're doing is checking box scores.

Jesus Christ Donn...

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 27, 2024 3:53 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 3:47 pm
I'm halfway around the fucking world, i like to listen to them on the radio actually, always have. Sitting and staring at a television isn't my bag. I believe baseball is suited for radio. That's what made it popular, not television

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Bonds was hit fourth, actually refused to hit higher. Today you're not batting him fourth

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon May 27, 2024 4:02 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 3:55 pm
Bonds was hit fourth, actually refused to hit higher. Today you're not batting him fourth

He hit 3rd for more games in his career and was a better hitter hitting 3rd.

And today, that would be royally fucking stupid. Why would you take a guy out of a position in the lineup where he thrives psychologically?

So you hit him second? Where he hit only 29 times in his career because analytics say so? He'd laugh straight in your face.

And radio doesn't give you a look at what is actually going on... you're getting the view of the broadcaster's POV and bias.

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon May 27, 2024 4:15 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 7:34 am
harmony wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 5:25 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:07 pm
Another thing... for a team that gets hot and bothered by analytics...

You'd think they'd not hit Julio 2nd ever again.
https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guide ... they%20bat
Yipee and sabermetrics have led to our best hitter performing his worst while in the 2 hole.

Oh yeah and Aaron Judge hits 3rd for the Yankees. Jose Ramirez hits 3rd for the Guardians. Bryce Harper hits 3rd for the Phillies...

So guess what... Sabermetrics and analytics can fuck right off.
Don't be so self-critical of your commendable attempt at sabermetrics and analytics.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 27, 2024 4:21 pm

You are missing the point, you don't bat them second because analytics says so. Analytics is simply looking at optimization just like old schoolers did. Old school says to bat your best bat 3rd, new school says to bat them 2nd, but you're still going to bat him where he feels comfortable in either case.