1: Al Chambers, Mike Moore, Junior, A-Rod
2: Bill Swift, Dustin Ackley, Danny Hultzen
3: Roger Salkeld, Jose Cruz Jr, Jeff Clement, Mike Zunino
4: None
5: Brandon Morrow
6: Tito Nanni, Darnell Coles, Marc Newfield, Alex Jackson, Emerson Hancock
7: Darrel Akerfelds, Mike Campbell
8: Patrick Lennon

Junior, A-Rod, two good seasons out of Moore, two good seasons out of Swift, 1/2 a good season out of Cruz before trading him for bullpen slop, one good season out of Morrow, and one good season out of Zunino. That's it. Out of 20 top-8 picks.

I hope our guys clobber the Dodgers today. We pick where we pick.

If we had not had Griffey and Arod, we might never have been in the playoffs...... We have not been a smart draft club... but that doesn't mean anything about next year's draft.... The better pick the better chances we have...

Hanjag

Re: Tankathon is on!

Post by Hanjag » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:12 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:36 pm
Historical list of when we pick 1-8:

Junior, A-Rod, two good seasons out of Moore, two good seasons out of Swift, 1/2 a good season out of Cruz before trading him for bullpen slop, one good season out of Morrow, and one good season out of Zunino. That's it. Out of 20 top-8 picks.

So Darnell Coles had a 14 year MLB career as a player 3 good years 122 OPS+, 115, and a 112, but mainly `4 years
Hancock you can't count
Looking at the no 1 pick you have 2 HOFer types and Moore was an 14 year career 28 WAR 2 top 10 CY finishes and an all-star and Chambers busted 3/4 that is a pretty good success rate especially with the Jr and ARod HOF combo 1/2 the time

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 pm

Terry, that's two guys in 44 drafts. You can't bank on a top-five pick or even a #1 to magically make you this playoff team. We know how this works. We struck gold with some young players in the early 90s, stole Buhner and The Big Unit, and then Pat Gillick took it to the next level. And that's all we've had in 44 seasons.

Just enjoy the games day to day and keep your fingers crossed where the future is concerned. Losing all the time is no good.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Coles had a career bWAR of -1.4, he was a classic example of a guy who did just enough to get himself on a team. He had one good year with the Tigers, a couple good brief stints, and that was it. In 48 games in 1984 he somehow managed to put up a - 1.7 bWAR and if he had played half the season he and not Dan Meyer would have had the worst season ever by a Mariner position player.

Moore had his best years with the A's after he left because it took him four years in the bigs to develop into a front-line starter. Look at his first three years in the bigs: https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... mi01.shtml That's not going to propel anyone into contention.
Last edited by DavidGee24 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 pm
Terry, that's two guys in 44 drafts. You can't bank on a top-five pick or even a #1 to magically make you this playoff team. We know how this works. We struck gold with some young players in the early 90s, stole Buhner and The Big Unit, and then Pat Gillick took it to the next level. And that's all we've had in 44 seasons.

Just enjoy the games day to day and keep your fingers crossed where the future is concerned. Losing all the time is no good.
Hey, I get your point...just don't agree with it at all. We have had more than two good picks.... we've had good picks in later rounds... and the M's have passed up plenty of guys I wanted them to take... They've also not concentrated on development the way the Dodgers and Cardinals have throughout their existence. We have improved in the draft over the last five years though, imo.
Dan Altavilla 5th round, Joey Gerber 8th round, Anthony Misciewicz 18th round, LJ Newsome 26th round, TaiJuan Walker 1st round supplemental pick, Art Warren 23rd round, Tim Lopes 6th round, Kyle Seager 3rd round, Donavan Walton 5th round, Evan White, 1st round, Kyle Lewis 1st round.... So right now we have 13 of our own draft picks on the roster plus Braden Bishop and three of them are first round picks... Got a feeling those numbers may be rising...

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:17 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:12 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:36 pm
Historical list of when we pick 1-8:

So Darnell Coles had a 14 year MLB career as a player 3 good years 122 OPS+, 115, and a 112, but mainly `4 years
Hancock you can't count
Looking at the no 1 pick you have 2 HOFer types and Moore was an 14 year career 28 WAR 2 top 10 CY finishes and an all-star and Chambers busted 3/4 that is a pretty good success rate especially with the Jr and ARod HOF combo 1/2 the time
In 14 years Coles put up -1.4 BWAR, that is more like a bearded lady, Siamese twins or other freaks at the carnival than a good MLB career.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:27 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 pm
Hey, I get your point...just don't agree with it at all. We have had more than two good picks.... we've had good picks in later rounds...
Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about rooting for the team to lose every day for draft position. The only time you should ever do that is if the can't-miss-future-baseball-god with all the hype is sitting there at #1. Junior and A-Rod had that hype. The only two guys who really have had that hype in the last ten years have been Harper and Strasburg, and even those two guys have come up short of what it was thought they were going to be.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:15 am

One of the arguments that I can see both sides. Trout for example supports the crap shoot aspect and yet his team has won zero playoff games in his entire career. Also, rooting to win or lose has zero impact on anything so really its a silly argument in terms what we should "root" for when you think about it.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:03 am

Following tonight's loss to the rival tankers the ANgels we sit in 5th place.
2 games back of the Pirates and Sox.
We briefly peaked at #2 but were mainly in 3rd most of the season. That said we have been about two games back for a good while it seems.

I have not heard of any of the other front runners trading assets but expect to see something go before the deadline. For now we lost a good pitcher and I expect more losses.

On the other hand we are only 2 games from being tied for 9th.

I am super geeked about the Thai deal.

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:44 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 pm

I think the number of players we have in the system is reason for excitement. I like a number of players ranked 10 to 20 as much or more than some of our top 10's from the recent past.

Look at the SP top 100 types: Logan, Hancock, Kirby, Dunn, Justus, Williamson, Campbell, Carlson, Then, Phillups 5 have been top 100's and the other 5 could be.

Outfield We have Hanniger, but look at Lewis so far and our top 2 who are both top 20 in all of baseball aJulio and Kelenic and you are looking at 4 guys who have above average bats and all can play center. Deloach another top 100 type along with Fraley and 4th OF Bishop provide depth.

Infield
1B Evan White and that speed are alluring. His recent hot streak is welcome.
SS JP has heated up after a slump and is kinda a key development cog. Marte is a top 100 type but is likely years away and may move.
C Nola and Murphy look like a good pairing + bats and Cal R has power 29 HR last year
3B Seager has + D and + bat for now and Shenton has impressed currently #18 ranked M's prospect, also Marte.
2B Shed Long is the current guy and a well thought of prospect but Moore could play here and Terry reported he is a work-out all-star, but also Nola when he is not catching could play here and a number of other places to. ( Tim Lopes)

Again a few people have pointed this out but 2B-SS is not a strength in the M's highly thought of prospects. There is JP, Marte, Long etc. But look at the Jays they have what a dozen 2B-SS prospects in their top 30.

BTW I expect one of them will be our return on the Walker deal.