Trade deadline trade ideas discussion

GL_Storm

Re: Trade deadline trade ideas discussion

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:24 am

The thing is there's been absolutely no indication that Colorado is willing to move Marquez. They have him signed through 2024, his age 29 season. I guess they must have bought some of his free agent years. It's probably like Seattle with Felix, hanging on to the star player for dear life because without him you completely lose credibility.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:48 am

Looking on Fangraphs I don't see any other TOR type pitcher playing for a crappy team that therefore might be available in trade. There are some free agents like Scherzer, but he's getting pretty old. Gausman will be out there, but I imagine there will be a ton of pressure for SF to re-sign him. Kershaw's probably not going anywhere either, plus he's starting to have injuries.

I think any starting pitchers that the team acquires will be of the #4 variety, more what you might think of as stopgap innings eater types. Guys that can pitch every fifth day and not kill you, and keep those spots warm for the homegrown arms. That's probably the plan. That's also why I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal with Paxton, crazy as that sounds.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:04 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:48 am
Looking on Fangraphs I don't see any other TOR type pitcher playing for a crappy team that therefore might be available in trade. There are some free agents like Scherzer, but he's getting pretty old. Gausman will be out there, but I imagine there will be a ton of pressure for SF to re-sign him. Kershaw's probably not going anywhere either, plus he's starting to have injuries.

I think any starting pitchers that the team acquires will be of the #4 variety, more what you might think of as stopgap innings eater types. Guys that can pitch every fifth day and not kill you, and keep those spots warm for the homegrown arms. That's probably the plan. That's also why I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal with Paxton, crazy as that sounds.
Yeah I agree which is fine because we need bats more than arms at the moment.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:15 pm

Still, I would at least talk to Denver about getting the German. Let them know you are interested. Swing a deal in the offseason. We'd have to include a ground ball throwing pitcher and maybe throw Marco in for free. Problem there is his salary. Maybe if we paid half? I'd love to unload Montero and Sheffield but the only way we could get rid of those two boat anchors is if they are DFA'd. And knowing this organization, they are loath to release ANY player with a salary. One wonders how they would have handled Pujols? Oh wait, we have Seager.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:21 pm

Speaking of Puljos, his is putting about a .816 OPS for the Dodgers. The last time he put up a 800+ OPS was his first season with the Angels a couple months before Obama beat Romney to win re-election in 2012. Angels must just love that. lol
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:18 pm

If they're just looking for back end help to keep them whole until Gonzo and Dunn get back they might as well give Cole Hamels the chance he's after and save their trade talent.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:22 pm

bpj wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:18 pm
If they're just looking for back end help to keep them whole until Gonzo and Dunn get back they might as well give Cole Hamels the chance he's after and save their trade talent.
https://sodomojo.com/2021/07/17/seattle ... le-hamels/
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:31 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:22 pm
bpj wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:18 pm
https://sodomojo.com/2021/07/17/seattle ... le-hamels/
If any team can envision an 88mph soft tossing lefty in the rotation- it's the Mariners!

Hamels seems like a guy who pitches smart though, could probably teach the kids something, including Marco.

He has 10x the career WAR as either Servais or Dipoto.