Finally! Official Hot Stove League thread!

Captain 97

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League thread!

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:00 am

The fact that we have an "offensive coordinator" makes me want to punch Jerry in the face. What is there to "coordinate"? There is no play calling or playbook to coordinate. There is just teaching a guy how to hit and sending him out there. It's called coaching not coordinating.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:53 am

OT Can't imagine having to check with my boss to see what shirt I can wear on the last day of a 30 year career. Was he worried him might get fired? LOL
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:03 am

He's got a uniform. Seems reasonable to me to check if you want to alter it even if it's your last day

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:07 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:00 am
The fact that we have an "offensive coordinator" makes me want to punch Jerry in the face. What is there to "coordinate"? There is no play calling or playbook to coordinate. There is just teaching a guy how to hit and sending him out there. It's called coaching not coordinating.
The other hitting coach that has been there for 5 seasons of dog shit offense is now called the Director of Hitting Strategy.

Just classic Jerry snake oil BS over substance lipstick on a pig M.O.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:11 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:03 am
He's got a uniform. Seems reasonable to me to check if you want to alter it even if it's your last day
After 30 years on the job you would think you would have earned the right to wear whatever you want on the last day without having to check with your superior like a kid asking his Dad permission to stay out past curfew. But I guess some people are just trained to obey authority regardless whether it makes sense or not...
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:13 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:07 am
Captain 97 wrote:
The other hitting coach that has been there for 5 seasons of dog shit offense is now called the Director of Hitting Strategy.

The fact that all of the players feel they have to go to driveline in the off-season to get some real coaching tells you all you need to know.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:19 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:13 am
D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:07 am
Captain 97 wrote:

The fact that all of the players feel they have to go to driveline in the off-season to get some real coaching tells you all you need to know.
I am sure now that they changed DeHart's title he will be a WAY better hitting coach than the guys at Drive line. :|
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 am

Players from all over the league use driveline. It's not about having inadequate coaching. It's specialized treatment
Driveline Baseball is the premier data-driven baseball player development organization in the world. We train players through state-of-the-art motion capture assessments, physical therapy evaluations, and specialized assessment-retest based pitching, hitting and high performance coaching

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:49 am

The Mariners seem to see themselves more as facilitators. They let the players execute their own game instead of trying to fit everybody into a box that comes along with "coaching".

I like the approach they take. I think players need to do what comes naturally from a young age, not try and fit their swing into whatever their current Little League or Babe Ruth coach thinks they should. The cream always rises to the top. Show them the way then set them loose.

Driveline seems to focus on what's right for the individual player. Seems perfect.

I've criticized the Mariners because the players were seeing success more from their time with orgs like Driveline, or Cal turning it around because of advice from his dad, instead of the coaching staff. But at this point I think its because they just see themselves as the ones who put the players on the field.

I've also criticized them for their sissy attitudes towards players. But what should I expect. The players are all better than the "coaches". They get paid millions of dollars. Pretty much have to just let them go out and play their game these days.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:06 am

The coaches are there to observe and advise but ultimately it's up to the player how he wants to swing a bat, particularly at the ML level. And generally I think players feel they've done a pretty good job since they have made it to the majors. Think it's pretty common for players to show up at spring training with altered stances or swings. It's an individual thing that they will work with who they feel comfortable with.