Finally! Official Hot Stove League thread!

Seattle or Bust

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League thread!

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:59 pm
Actually sad that a lot of M's fans are so desperate to get excited about something that they get jacked about Ryan Bliss...
I don't quite understand the issues you got with Bliss.

He's not starting the year with the ballclub so it doesn't really matter. It shouldn't really be all that surprising that fans should be marginally excited over a 2B who hung a .902 OPS over 128 minor league games last year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:20 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:08 pm
D-train wrote:
Actually sad that a lot of M's fans are so desperate to get excited about something that they get jacked about Ryan Bliss...

He's not starting the year with the ballclub so it doesn't really matter. It shouldn't really be all that surprising that fans should be marginally excited over a 2B who hung a .902 OPS over 128 minor league games last year.
Does that include his 87 PAs with 3 x base hits, zero HRs and a .296 SLG% in the AFL last Fall?
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:20 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
D-train wrote:

Does that include his 87 PAs with 3 x base hits, zero HRs and a .296 SLG% in the AFL last Fall?
I wouldn't include AFL stats. I don't mean that just with Bliss. Lots of players seem to just tank in the AFL and the stats frequently don't correlate with regular season performances. The best use of the league seems to be for guys like Locklear that missed time and want to get some plate appearances in.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:20 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
D-train wrote:

It was 19 games bro. So he didn't hit for a ton of power... maybe the stroke was just a bit off after some time away.

He still put up a near .370 OBP and got some hits.

I sincerely doubt anyone on the developmental side is panicking over a 19-game stretch.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:22 pm

Maybe he will be great but I have my doubts that a guy that had a lower OPS than Brian O Keefe will do much in the big leagues.

btw Haggerty had a .997 OPS in the same number of games in Tacoma.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:22 pm
Maybe he will be great but I have my doubts that a guy that had a lower OPS than Brian O Keefe will do much in the big leagues.

He was also 29 years old with 120 games of MLB experience in AAA last year. He also was a far worse player statistically than Bliss through his age 23 season in the minors.

Haggerty also hit .091/.200/.291 in April last year in the bigs. He turned it around with a decent August/Sept in limited action. But if we're not willing to give grace to a 23 year old for 19 mediocre AFL games... what are we doing giving grace to a 29 year old?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:13 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:42 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:22 pm

He was also 29 years old with 120 games of MLB experience in AAA last year. He also was a far worse player statistically than Bliss through his age 23 season in the minors.

Haggerty also hit .091/.200/.291 in April last year in the bigs. He turned it around with a decent August/Sept in limited action. But if we're not willing to give grace to a 23 year old for 19 mediocre AFL games... what are we doing giving grace to a 29 year old?
Neither Sam nor Bliss will ever be a MLB regular imo. But feel free to join the kids on X thinking Jerry traded for a young Cano...
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:13 pm
Neither Sam nor Bliss will ever be a MLB regular imo. But feel free to join the kids on X thinking Jerry traded for a young Cano...
Dunno if he is the second coming of Cano, but he does seem to be impressing some folks. They had an article on mlb.com about the top 10 2B prospects. They list Bliss as #9, and they feel he excels in the field and is the fastest riser of the 2B prospects.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-second-bas ... e-coverage

Hey - it's just one pundit's perspective, but he does look like he's developing. What do I know?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:56 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:13 pm
Dunno if he is the second coming of Cano, but he does seem to be impressing some folks. They had an article on mlb.com about the top 10 2B prospects. They list Bliss as #9, and they feel he excels in the field and is the fastest riser of the 2B prospects.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-second-bas ... e-coverage

Hey - it's just one pundit's perspective, but he does look like he's developing. What do I know?
Reminds me when everyone was jacked about Shed Long. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:04 pm

So this isn't a big deal but is it too much to ask for these guys that get paid about baseball to actually do their jobs.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-prosp ... an-alvarez

Kramer actually writes a pretty good piece about Montes and even interviews him. Literally asks him a bunch of questions and instead of just asking him his current height and weight he just inserts this nonsense which is probably from the day he signed. 6'3" 210lbs. :roll: :roll: :roll: And then says Alvarez is 6' 5" and 225lbs making it seem like Montes is smaller and needs to grow to catch up. Just a joke. Do your fucking job man. Not hard.

If you cut him in half at the belt his lower half probably almost weighs 210lbs!!

https://www.mlb.com/video/lazaro-montes-solo-home-run
dt