M's vs Astros Gamethread #1

Hanjag

Re: M's vs Astros Gamethread #1

Post by Hanjag » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:04 am

rockycola wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:26 am
M's back to their "K'ing" ways ~ 10 so far...everybody but Seags and JP.
To be fair =~~~~~Justin Verlander

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 am

AT Fresno wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:11 am
Why don't they ever post my Where I Root? So what if I'm sitting on the toilet.
Maybe that's why you have a bad feeling??
Usually the feeling this team gives me puts me on my knees in front of the toilet.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 am

So our last three relievers and Marmalard I'd never even heard of. On opening day 1977 at the age of ten I knew pretty much the entire roster. 43 years of kicks to the head have made me slow.

Here's a sobering thought: the Krakens are going to make the playoffs before the Mariners do.

Oh well, let's get after it again tomorrow.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:02 pm

This is pretty much how I expect the season to go. Develop the front end pitching. Use spare parts as relievers. Leads will not be held this season.

Notes from the game.

Michael Brantley is a stud! He was a good hitter in Cleveland, and he's a good hitter in Houston.

Marco looked great! I felt like the umpire was squeezing him on the inner part of the strike zone. An ugly Shed Long error, and an uncalled 3rd strike to Maldonado, cost Gonzales a better looking score line.

Nola is a badass!! They need to lock him up long term and get some more catching depth next season as to prevent limiting him to JUST behind the dish. Its too bad he's so old.

Where did Vogey go?

Evan White is FAST and is going to make a HUGE difference at 1B!!

Kyle Lewis's homerun Atomic Bomb off of Verlander was better than any bean bag to an Astros hitter ever could have been!!

Kyle Seager looks like he's picking up right where he left off last year. Could there be a trade this season?

Yohan Ramirez is the Wild Thing 2.0! Nasty as fuck, but dayum!! Somebody's gonna get plunked! I'd hate climbing into the box with him on the mound. Awesome!

For the most part, a pretty enjoyable game. As of right now, we are tied for the 1st overall pick in the 2021 Draft. 1/60th of the season is in the books! :D

Go Mariners!

AmericanPig

Post by AmericanPig » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:01 pm

I found the Astros surprisingly respectful of the opposition. Anyone else notice a somewhat different in play demeanor with the crowd removed? Gonzalez is a real competitor. I enjoyed the scene.

Petert

Post by Petert » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:02 pm
This is pretty much how I expect the season to go. Develop the front end pitching. Use spare parts as relievers. Leads will not be held this season.

Notes from the game.

Michael Brantley is a stud! He was a good hitter in Cleveland, and he's a good hitter in Houston.

Marco looked great! I felt like the umpire was squeezing him on the inner part of the strike zone. An ugly Shed Long error, and an uncalled 3rd strike to Maldonado, cost Gonzales a better looking score line.

Nola is a badass!! They need to lock him up long term and get some more catching depth next season as to prevent limiting him to JUST behind the dish. Its too bad he's so old.

Where did Vogey go?

Evan White is FAST and is going to make a HUGE difference at 1B!!

Kyle Lewis's homerun Atomic Bomb off of Verlander was better than any bean bag to an Astros hitter ever could have been!!

Kyle Seager looks like he's picking up right where he left off last year. Could there be a trade this season?

Yohan Ramirez is the Wild Thing 2.0! Nasty as fuck, but dayum!! Somebody's gonna get plunked! I'd hate climbing into the box with him on the mound. Awesome!

For the most part, a pretty enjoyable game. As of right now, we are tied for the 1st overall pick in the 2021 Draft. 1/60th of the season is in the books! :D

Go Mariners!
I’d agree on all points. I also enjoyed watching Misiewicz work. He was plainly nervous, but his matchup with Altuve also showed guts and confidence. He got José to swing at a low slider on the first pitch, and kept challenging him in exactly the same spot on 5 more successive pitches. I was afraid Altuve would eventually make the adjustment, but he eventually K’d swinging.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:45 pm

AmericanPig wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:01 pm
I found the Astros surprisingly respectful of the opposition. Anyone else notice a somewhat different in play demeanor with the crowd removed? Gonzalez is a real competitor. I enjoyed the scene.
I don't mind not having crowds at all. They are silent on the road when we do well anyway and you don't have to hear them when the Astros are kicking ass. Win Win pure baseball. I guess we are going to have to settle for 3 of 4.
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 am
AT Fresno wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:06 am
Yeah, with all the wild card teams vying for the playoffs maybe we can get some prospects for Vogel-blimp, Mallex, and Seager leading up to the trade deadline....
I never did understand why so many try this BS

Seags was a 4 to 5 WAR player/ 160 last year he has 18&1/2 next year and a 15M that kicks in if traded!
If folks are right about Marte eventually moving to 3rd or 2nd he will not be ready for at least 2 to 3 years!
There is no one burning down the house to take over
With Seager performing to career averages in 2021 when we get Kelenic and probably Gilbert up we should have productive position players if things go according to plan
Seager should be just fine in his last year or even the option year in 2022

I think most contenders have good 3rd baseman but expanding out to 16 means that probably 75% of the teams should be close enough to consider a push

Perhaps there is an opportunity to trade someone, but I only want trades that have at least a reasonable chance of improving the team in a meaningful way

A top 100 type or in that range

Think Kyle Lewis, Marco G, Sam Carlson, Fraley,etc

Kyle Seager has been a 4.2/162 player for his career including the 2018 disaster with the 86 OPS+!

I am in no hurry to trade him when there is no Kelenic level guy near ready
Austin SHenton is my best bet for 3rd Base outside of or maybe even adjacent to Marte but they both are facing a bit of a lost year

Again, neither one I would expect to be ready for MLB before Seager's option is complete
Hey, you want to keep him, but I don't ..... your lecture doesn't fall on deaf ears or someone who hasn't watched Kyle Seager... I was a fan of Kyoe Seager from the time he was drafted, followed him closely thru the minors, visited with him at fanfest in 2011. From 2012-2017 Seager was a treasure, probably the most underpaid third baseman in the MLB. When he came up, he was a gap hitter with a great stroke. And he always had a great glove, an amazingly accurate throwing arm, and was quick reacting to bunts and hot grounders down the line.My first inner feeling of negativity about Seager came when Lloyd McClendon announced that "Seager would lead the majors in home runs". I never thought that was a helpful prediction... And the M's don't really have any depth behind him.... Rizzo is still young, but his development has been a disappointment and his prospect status has diminished. Marte is several years off, Austin Shenton is due in 2022 or 2023 but he not so exciting, and the M's passed on Nolan Gorman much to my chagrin who was immediately scooped up by the Cardinals because the M's are all too often reluctant to draft high school position players....
Seager has gained a few pounds and lost a step.... he is a virtual plug on the basepaths... really hasn't been a threat to steal since 2016, although that was never part of his game.... he could still score from second on a decent single.... he's developing inconsistencies defensively... twice yesterday had to throw from his knees, and wasn't accurate to Shed Long... I don't mind the contract.... I don't like his spot in the lineup, I haven't been a big fan of him since 2017, and I don't care that no one is pushing him.... I'd be fine with allowing a couple of these utility guys the chance to make the roster and the opportunity to make the roster. And I don't care about his "leadership".... I don't see it. We aren't going anywhere this year, and that's ok... I like watching the new guys develop.... and if we could trade Seager, I'd be ecstatic. Not arguing with your good points... they are all valid, but I don't care... I think the M's would be better off in the long run to evaluate a few more bodies at that position and give Seager a chance to play post season baseball elsewhere...

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:22 pm

He was probably tradeable during the off season but the longer we wait the more onerous the poison pill becomes.
dt