Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Sexymarinersfan

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:16 pm
I guess they didn't get the memo that Jerry is saving up for Ohtani!!! LMAO
I'm wagering not. I'm thinking the reason Jerry wanted in on Ohtani early was to hope to negotiate him to a hometown extension. His asking price will be over $500M. No way the M's are in on that.

With that being said, I'd go balls deep after him. But it's hard to market a player after they've already gotten their feet wet in the Show from another team. Had he initially come here from the get go like Ichiro, it'd be a different story. Ohtani's contract will wind up with some bad years on the backend. Will his bat or pitching arm disappear first?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:37 pm

dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:32 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:41 pm
ice99 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:37 am
164 days until the mlb draft.
A rip in the Matrix:
2023 MLB Draft League Season Schedule The 2023 MLB Draft League season will be split into two halves with the first half set to begin Thursday, June 1, and conclude Tuesday, July 4. The second half will start Thursday, July 7, and finish Monday, Sept. 4, with the League's Championship Game.
2023 MLB Draft League Season Schedule | MLBDraftLeague.com
www.mlbdraftleague.com/about/schedule

Vs

2023 MLB Draft News, Dates, Tracker and Prospects | MLB.com
https://www.mlb.com/draft
WebThe 2023 MLB First-Year Player Draft will take place on July 17–19, in Los Angeles, California, in conjunction with the 2021 MLB All-Star Game on July 19. News Hot Stove Tracker Starting Lineups Transactions Postseason History Injury Report World Baseball …
162 days now. The mlbdraftleague is something different.
The MLB Draft League is a six-team baseball league featuring a split-season amateur-professional format.

https://www.mlbdraftleague.com/about

The 2023 mlb all-star game is in Seattle.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:39 pm

The M's have other candidates than JK and A.J. Pollock for LF.

Trammel, Haggerty, Hummel, and Moore. By the time they cycle thru these players it will be the ASB. They could try even Jonatan Clase at that time.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:21 pm

If Pollock just comes close to what he did vs. LHPs we are fine from that side. So who is the OD DH if it is a RH starter???
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:08 pm

Maybe it's still Pollock. I'd put Teoscar at DH and JK in RF if Trammell both JK and TT make the team, but for OD honors, Teoscar would play RF.

Splits against RHP over the last 2 years.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2022-12-31

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:26 pm

Jesus that is heinous....
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:39 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:04 pm
D-train wrote:
I'm wagering not. I'm thinking the reason Jerry wanted in on Ohtani early was to hope to negotiate him to a hometown extension. His asking price will be over $500M. No way the M's are in on that.

With that being said, I'd go balls deep after him. But it's hard to market a player after they've already gotten their feet wet in the Show from another team. Had he initially come here from the get go like Ichiro, it'd be a different story. Ohtani's contract will wind up with some bad years on the backend. Will his bat or pitching arm disappear first?
Sorry but I'm not seeing that, it's nice to have a guy that came up through your system but I'm thinking that's rare. Most players move on to a different team, and they get marketed if they are an attractive player

Pitchers are considered to have shorter shelf lives I believe, that's why they aren't getting the long term contracts but higher AAS. So I'm thinking ohtani's pitching would have the greater chance of decline first.

Ohtani
.AL hitters with more homers: 3
AL pitchers with more strikeouts: 2
AL starters who threw a faster pitch: 1
AL hitters with faster time to first: 0

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:39 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:04 pm
D-train wrote:

Sorry but I'm not seeing that, it's nice to have a guy that came up through your system but I'm thinking that's rare. Most players move on to a different team, and they get marketed if they are an attractive player

Pitchers are considered to have shorter shelf lives I believe, that's why they aren't getting the long term contracts but higher AAS. So I'm thinking ohtani's pitching would have the greater chance of decline first.

Ohtani
.AL hitters with more homers: 3
AL pitchers with more strikeouts: 2
AL starters who threw a faster pitch: 1
AL hitters with faster time to first: 0
I just get reminded of the Canó contract all over again.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:09 am

Does anybody have examples of 34+ year old players coming off down years that did better after?

Trying to be positive about the offseason, but having a hard time coming up with examples of bounceback seasons at that age.

Pollock and La Stella are their idea of complementary players. Would love to know why they think there's a comeback season to be had.

These guys are geezers. Almost my age.

Jason Bay was 34 the year he was a Mariner- his final season.

Milton Bradley was 33 his last year as a Mariner- his final season.

Eric Byrnes, 33, his final.

Nori Aoki may be the best example I've found. He didn't feel like much of a help while he was here. Aoki was 34 his year as a Mariner.