Where do we stand on Kelenic?

What is your oppinion of Kelenic after his strong start to the Spring?

He is finally reaching his potential
53%
He will still suck when the bright lights come on
30%
Trade him now while you can still get something for him
17%

Total votes: 30

Donn Beach

Re: Where do we stand on Kelenic?

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:06 pm

Terms of Julio, whether the sophomore slump is real or not, for various reasons one should probably expect around a 15-20% reduction in production in the second year. He is on course for nearly 5 bWAR isn't he? That would fall into that range. We might be getting a little carried away comparing him to Smoak and Ackley at this point

Check out doc gooden and cal Ripken for the other side of the coin
https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-sophomore-slump/

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 pm

Griffey was in a far higher league than either JK or J-Rod. Not a realistic comparison offensively.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:51 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:06 pm
Terms of Julio, whether the sophomore slump is real or not, for various reasons one should probably expect around a 15-20% reduction in production in the second year. He is on course for nearly 5 bWAR isn't he? That would fall into that range. We might be getting a little carried away comparing him to Smoak and Ackley at this point

Check out doc gooden and cal Ripken for the other side of the coin
https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-sophomore-slump/
His D has been great. That and his positional adjustment have supported his WAR despite the weak offense. He is still valuable and no reason he can't rebound to 2022 numbers in the second half. Not worried....yet.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:01 pm

Now with a .591 OPS in June after .982 in April and .728 in May.

If he continues to sink like a brick I hope they swap Kelenic and Trammell for awhile. Send Kelenic back to his offseason hitting coach, the in-house one clearly doesn't do anything.

Give Taylor some every day at bats and see what he can do when healthy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:21 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 pm
Griffey was in a far higher league than either JK or J-Rod. Not a realistic comparison offensively.
So Griffey was a better hitter than JK? Post of the year right there! lol ;)
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:54 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 pm
I wasn't comparing them, using it as a basis for how great players have to be great at dealing with failure. I had his career average too low, but even at .284? He made an out 71% of the time. Imagine if you couldn't deal with that and killed yourself after every out? My point was how Kelenic might be a bit over the top in this aspect. Instead of not dealing with failure, he might actually deal with it too well. Simply believe that he is that good. Many of his comments would lead me to believe that.

My point wasn't to compare them, but to say I understand a baseball player has to be very tough mentally, extremely confident in themselves and have the ability to deal with failure. BUT, is Kelenic too far that direction and has too much confidence?