Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Donn Beach

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:57 am

Here, you guys will like this, San Diego, fifth smallest MLB market has improved their revenue by increasing spending to the point where they now will be paying into the league's revenue sharing program instead of receiving from it, pays to spend. Envy padres fans, really a remarkable experiment in baseball economics to be part of
“I think it’s a validation of the approach that if you invest in the team on the field and you create a compelling and winning product, the fans will respond,” Padres CEO Erik Greupner said last week. “I think that was always in the forefront of Peter’s mind when he initiated that strategy.”
“The ultimate validation involves winning a World Series championship,” Greupner said. “So (increasing revenue to this level) is validation insofar as the investment in the team and the investment in the ballpark and the ballpark experience is yielding increased revenue — really record increases in revenue. But we’re not doing it to increase revenue. It’s all a means to an end.”
“I think it’s important to note that the strategy is not without risk,” Greupner acknowledged. “If it were knowable before pursuing the strategy how it would turn out, then it really wouldn’t be a risk. It just would be something that everybody — if they if they have access to the resources — would just do it.”

Thought that was funny
Padres Chairman Peter Seidler declined to comment this week. His thinking is that no one wants to hear him talk about money.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... er-seidler

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:54 am
Dbacks sign Chafin to what seems like a pretty good deal, a year at $5.5 mil.
MLBTR ranked Chafin 39th on our list of the offseason’s top 50 free agents, and projected the left-hander for a two-year, $18MM deal
Disgusting they refuse to top that and go with reclamation projects instead. Getting way too cocky for their own britches imo.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:57 am
Here, you guys will like this, San Diego, fifth smallest MLB market has improved their revenue by increasing spending to the point where they now will be paying into the league's revenue sharing program instead of receiving from it, pays to spend. Envy padres fans, really a remarkable experiment in baseball economics to be part of
“I think it’s a validation of the approach that if you invest in the team on the field and you create a compelling and winning product, the fans will respond,” Padres CEO Erik Greupner said last week. “I think that was always in the forefront of Peter’s mind when he initiated that strategy.”
“The ultimate validation involves winning a World Series championship,” Greupner said. “So (increasing revenue to this level) is validation insofar as the investment in the team and the investment in the ballpark and the ballpark experience is yielding increased revenue — really record increases in revenue. But we’re not doing it to increase revenue. It’s all a means to an end.”
“I think it’s important to note that the strategy is not without risk,” Greupner acknowledged. “If it were knowable before pursuing the strategy how it would turn out, then it really wouldn’t be a risk. It just would be something that everybody — if they if they have access to the resources — would just do it.”

Thought that was funny
Padres Chairman Peter Seidler declined to comment this week. His thinking is that no one wants to hear him talk about money.
So they don't ignore the ballpark experience but I bet if Stanton were to rank the priorities off the record he would do it in reverse order that Greupner did with Ballpark and ballpark experience coming before team. I honestly think that he thinks most fans are there for the non winning baseball aspects of the event more that watching the team win.
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:54 am
Dbacks sign Chafin to what seems like a pretty good deal, a year at $5.5 mil.
MLBTR ranked Chafin 39th on our list of the offseason’s top 50 free agents, and projected the left-hander for a two-year, $18MM deal
Disgusting they refuse to top that and go with reclamation projects instead. Getting way too cocky for their own britches imo.
Did the Mariners (and 28 other teams) refuse to top the one-year, $5.5 million deal* for lefthander Andrew Chafin?

MLB front offices apparently valued Chafin differently than MLB Trade Rumors and many fans did.

* with a $7.25 million option, or $750,000 buyout, for 2024.
Last edited by harmony on Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Thought that was funny
So they don't ignore the ballpark experience but I bet if Stanton were to rank the priorities off the record he would do it in reverse order that Greupner did with Ballpark and ballpark experience coming before team. I honestly think that he thinks most fans are there for the non winning baseball aspects of the event more that watching the team win.
Cohen gets all the press. For what, spending on a team in NYC? Here you have the fifth smallest market with baseball's third highest payroll. It really is a remarkable situation

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Thought that was funny

Cohen gets all the press. For what, spending on a team in NYC? Here you have the fifth smallest market with baseball's third highest payroll. It really is a remarkable situation
Yep Cohen is worth $16 Billion so him having a $300M payroll is like most owners having about a $30-50M payroll.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:16 am

And the thing is it's working, at least to a degree. The argument that small market teams can't compete is getting tossed out the window. Cohen spending on the Mets didn't effect that, that was reinforcing the concept of have and have nots. Seidler on the other hand is challenging the foundation of baseball economics. And this whole system they have that supports it. The revenue sharing and all that, really just justifies them not spending

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:59 am

According to this article: https://www.totalsportal.com/list/mlb-t ... t-revenue/

The M's make more money than the Mets. The M's were 15th in attendance... the Mets 7th. M's are far and away the lowest payroll on this list for being a high revenue generator.

It's absolute ludicrous that the M's payroll is as low as it is. In 2001 when the M's won 116 games... they averaged 43,300 fans a game which was #1 in baseball. If the M's could sell out their stadium because the product is worth watching (not 10 games under .500 by May)... i.e. build out a studly roster of with actual money devoted to it alongside the young stars... they'd make money hand over fist. Sadly... they've gone the "keep payroll low, attract 25k to watch, middling expectations, profit" model.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:38 am

Sounds like they are already making money hand over fist

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:07 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:59 am
According to this article: https://www.totalsportal.com/list/mlb-t ... t-revenue/

The M's make more money than the Mets. The M's were 15th in attendance... the Mets 7th. M's are far and away the lowest payroll on this list for being a high revenue generator.

It's absolute ludicrous that the M's payroll is as low as it is. In 2001 when the M's won 116 games... they averaged 43,300 fans a game which was #1 in baseball. If the M's could sell out their stadium because the product is worth watching (not 10 games under .500 by May)... i.e. build out a studly roster of with actual money devoted to it alongside the young stars... they'd make money hand over fist. Sadly... they've gone the "keep payroll low, attract 25k to watch, middling expectations, profit" model.
I don't trust any publication written in Indian-English. That said, I think they just copied that data from Forbes so it's probably roughly accurate. I expect the Mets revenue numbers will go up massively in the next few years. Also, like the Mariners, the Mets are majority owners of their regional sports channel, SNY, and I would therefore expect that they can renegotiate their local TV deal anytime they want.