Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Seattle or Bust

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:38 am
Sounds like they are already making money hand over fist
Yeah unfortunately it's at the expense of trying to go out and build a real winner.

It's a sad realization that the highest revenue earners other than the M's are all teams that have really high payrolls and (most) routinely make the playoffs/progress in the playoffs. Most of these organizations at least try to give their fans the impression that they're really trying to win.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:19 pm

We already saw that tweet about Logan Gilbert working on a splitter. This one adds Robbie Ray to that as well.
And not to toot my own horn too much, but I did call this one. I've posted at least twice wondering if more pitchers would try to add the splitter this year as a result of the shift ban, the idea being to give them one more swing and miss pitch they can pull out when they need that extra whiff to get them through an inning. My other thought was that we'll see even more emphasis on working high in the zone and slightly above, the idea being to try and get more K's and more fly ball outs, and presumably more home runs as well. So banning the shift could actually result in more of the 3 true outcomes.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:15 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:19 pm
We already saw that tweet about Logan Gilbert working on a splitter. This one adds Robbie Ray to that as well.
And not to toot my own horn too much, but I did call this one. I've posted at least twice wondering if more pitchers would try to add the splitter this year as a result of the shift ban, the idea being to give them one more swing and miss pitch they can pull out when they need that extra whiff to get them through an inning. My other thought was that we'll see even more emphasis on working high in the zone and slightly above, the idea being to try and get more K's and more fly ball outs, and presumably more home runs as well. So banning the shift could actually result in more of the 3 true outcomes.
Man, a third quality pitch would really go a long way for both pitchers. I'm glad you posted this. Love hearing little nuggets like this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6HeueGr-ZZ4?feature=share

BTW, I'm surprised we don't have a golf thread right now. I'm watching Tiger and Rory right now on ESPN+

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:43 am

What Manfred had to say about the padres
."I think that the investment that the club has made in talent has allowed them to grow their revenue to the point that they will be a payer under the revenue sharing system this year. The trick for smaller markets has always been sustainability. Hats off to [Padres chairman] Peter Seidler. He's made a massive financial commitment, personally, to make this all happen. And the question becomes, how long can you continue to do that? And what happens when you have to go through a rebuild? But they have done a really, really good job of capitalizing on their talent to drive their revenue."

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:09 pm

Just found this on my feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl1p2c4r274

Edit: There's not much in this video. I like this podcast, but this particular clip isn't worth your time.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:54 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:43 am
What Manfred had to say about the padres
."I think that the investment that the club has made in talent has allowed them to grow their revenue to the point that they will be a payer under the revenue sharing system this year. The trick for smaller markets has always been sustainability. Hats off to [Padres chairman] Peter Seidler. He's made a massive financial commitment, personally, to make this all happen. And the question becomes, how long can you continue to do that? And what happens when you have to go through a rebuild? But they have done a really, really good job of capitalizing on their talent to drive their revenue."
Quite the business model. Imagine if McDonalds punished its Franchises for growing revenue by making them share it.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:35 pm

Nothing much knew here but Hollander puts the philosophy right out there. Sustainability over trying to win a WS for a franchise that hasn't been to a WS in almost half a century.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1740720/ ... -take-off/
“If you never provide a runway for your internal options to get better, to improve, you’ll never be sustainable,” Hollander said Feb. 1 when he joined us on Bump and Stacy. “You’ll never be as good as you think you are.”
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:36 pm

Why did you make that choice, Jerry???
“I don’t know if we did the best we could do to set Jarred up for success a year ago,” Dipoto told Seattle Sports’ Brock Huard and Mike Salk earlier this month on his weekly Thursday show. “There wasn’t a lot of net to catch him if he struggled…
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:35 pm
Nothing much knew here but Hollander puts the philosophy right out there. Sustainability over trying to win a WS for a franchise that hasn't been to a WS in almost half a century.

“If you never provide a runway for your internal options to get better, to improve, you’ll never be sustainable,” Hollander said Feb. 1 when he joined us on Bump and Stacy. “You’ll never be as good as you think you are.”
I feel like this is just another way of the front office saying,

"We failed to attract any quality free agents due to tight budget constraints from our ownership. We felt that it was best as an organization to resort to plan B which is to develop prospects that have failed in the past because we made mistakes in their development process in order to maximize their growth as major league ballplayers."
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:41 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:39 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:35 pm

I feel like this is just another way of the front office saying,

"We failed to attract any quality free agents due to tight budget constraints from our ownership. We felt that it was best as an organization to resort to plan B which is to develop prospects that have failed in the past because we made mistakes in their development process in order to maximize their growth as a major league ballplayer."
Exactly.
dt